• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Secant & Tangent Ogives. Good read

vman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Australia
www.google.com
Hi guys.

Thought I would post this here for those who dont view accurateshooter or 6mmBR on a daily basis.

Todays offerings on the Bulletin had a nice article about pro's, con's and background information behind the ogives we see on our modern match projectiles.

Its a good read for those who dont know about the subtle differences between say an SMK, a Berger VLD and a Hybrid (and why these bullets have such different seating depth sensitivities).

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/03/tangent-vs-secant-vs-hybrid-ogive-bryan-litz-explains/

Vin

Reactions: Snuby642
Re: Secant & Tangent Ogives. Good read

You need to check out his website that is listed in the blog post. That article has been on there for quite awhile with a bunch of other interesting and heady info on long range shooting. If you don't have his book...you should.

Josh

I have his book and love it.

Just thought I would post this up for the curious regulars that confine themselves to whats posted on the hide
smile.gif

Reactions: Snuby642

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have his book and love it.

Just thought I would post this up for the curious regulars that confine themselves to whats posted on the hide
smile.gif
</div></div>

No doubt a good post of useful info. It was a long time before I even knew who Litz was.

Josh

Thanks Vin, this is a great article.

I absolutely love the Berger LR Hybrids. I'm lazy so I hate to play with seating depth. VLDs are therefore tough, but those Bergers have no seating sensitive for me and approach VLD BCs!

They sure are good James... Its great that modern technology is being applied to bullets.

Its amazing how something as small as changing the profile of the ogive makes such a big difference, and certainly our lives easier.

That's awesome... waiting patiently for a .6+ BC Hybrid 140 6.5 or a .7+ BC 230 .30.

John

Thanks Vman, great read, learned something today.