• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SECNAV Remington Model 720

craigp40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2005
SW PA
Gents, wanted to get some input from the group on a vintage rifle that I have. Back in the day, I had the fortunate pleasure of winning a SECNAV Remington Model 720 Trophy Rifle. I've never shot it (don't intend to either) and it's been in storage for a good while. When I was awarded it, it came in the original sealed box with leather sling and they simply engraved the relevant information about the match and my name on a brass plate with adhesive backing. This plate was never attached to the rifle but given to me in an envelope.

Now for my questions... In searching online, I see many of these trophy rifles have the information that's on my plate actually engraved in the floor plate of the rifle.
  1. Do you know if the individual recipients typically had this engraving done on their own?
  2. If I wanted to have this information on the rifle, would it be better for me to have the floor plate engraved or simply stick the plate I have on it? Although I intend to pass this on to my boys someday, would either option have a negative impact on value?
  3. Or is it best just to leave it as is and don't have it engraved or the brass plate added?

You could have the plate engraved and mounted with no real effect on the value since you won it. Do you have the documentation that came with it, the 1348 and shipping box from Crane? Maybe a copy of the scores or bulletin from the match to help with the history. Less you do the better the rifle is resale wise but having the paperwork makes it easier to prove it is what you claim instead of hunting down records from the Navy.

What caliber? They were in 30-06, 270 and 257 Roberts.

Reactions: ZG47A
So, I pulled it out this morning to confirm some of the information.
I do have the 1348. Serial number indicates it was manufactured in 1943. Canon and armorer's stamp is on the stock. Only box I have is the Remington box it came in with some stamped information on the outside using military stencils describing what is inside. No Crane shipping box. Don't remember ever getting that. Or maybe I threw it away when I received it not knowing any better.
It is a 30-06.
The engraved brass plate that I have is not an el-cheapo. It's solid brass, thick and does not have an adhesive sticker on the back as I had previously mentioned. It also does not have my name specifically engraved on it.
Thinking more about this, I'm leaning towards not engraving the floor plate. If the engraver somehow screws it up, I can't replace it. I'll just need to figure out the best way to attach the brass plate and where. Recommendations are welcome...

Good idea on trying to obtain the match detail and history. I don't have this information right now and not sure how successful I'll be with getting it. At the time, I was young and didn't even know what I really had or its significance. Shame on me.

The plaque does not usually have the winners name. The plaque is important to keep with the rifle, I would not worry about attaching it. The plaque makes the rifle a prize specifically for you, thus it can be legally awarded to you. There is an obscure rule about prizes and awards of monetary value being turned in to the government. You are allowed to keep them if they are specifically engraved or endorsed to you personally.

I know several people who have won those types of prizes, they are always coveted by collectors. My favorite was an older gent who had won the Inter-Service Rifle Championships back in the mid-1960's. He frequently shot his prize Garand at local Garand matches. It had been polished, blued and had a nickeled bolt and a nice oil finished walnut stock with a large engraved brass plate on the side.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Since this group can certainly appreciate these older pieces of history, I'll take some pictures and tell the story behind it. Just need to relearn how to post pics. Haven't done it for a while and certainly not using this new server format, at least compared to when I first joined here;)

Ok guys, here's the story which I already told lonegunman76 on IM. Pictures will follow (assuming I can do it correctly...)

This rifle has a bit more sentimental value for me rather than just a prize for winning a rifle competition. I graduated from the US Naval Academy in 1995 and won the yearly SECNAV rifle competition my 1st Class year (senior). Not only does it mark a significant milestone in my life but I also beat out the senior rifle team members at the Academy who traditionally win this event every year (and for good reason). I was not on the rifle team but instead played rugby. Needless to say, my accomplishment ruffled a few feathers but certainly made it more sweet for me. How is it that a guy who only hunts and shoots for fun can come out and win this event? Probably just luck but I'll still take it.😂

At this point, I'm just trying to preserve everything I have related to it so I can pass down to my sons a piece of dad's history. I just purchased some good silicon socks to store it in while inside the safe so it doesn't get dinged. I've never used those things so let me know if that is a big no-no to use with this. As someone mentioned above, I don't think I'm going to do anything with the engraving (floor plate or brass plate). Probably best just to leave it alone and keep it in good condition by oiling occasionally.

I don't think they issue these as prize rifles anymore but I'm not really sure when they quit doing it at USNA. That would be interesting to know. Hopefully, I can obtain some more information from that day I won it. Would be nice if they recorded the scores somewhere so I can have that as well. I plan to do some digging.

20210710_120353.jpg
20210710_120414.jpg
20210710_120853.jpg
20210710_120833.jpg

20210710_124724.jpg

@308pirate is an academy grad might have some insight.

Good guy over at WWW.m40rifle.com with the name SteveU I believe to have been a Navy shooter with a few SecNav awards to include an M40.

I believe he mentioned having or wishing to be awarded a 720.

Thank you for preserving it.

@308pirate is an academy grad might have some insight.

Good guy over at WWW.m40rifle.com with the name SteveU I believe to have been a Navy shooter with a few SecNav awards to include an M40.

I believe he mentioned having or wishing to be awarded a 720.

Thank you for preserving it.
You should leave the rifle as issued. The 1349 is all you need to validate it.

Steve U. would be a good resource. I would be surprised if he didn't win a 720. He was one of the top rifle guys when I shot. He was one of the first to leave the M14 and go to the AR15 so he dominated matches for a while. He also shot internationally with a Palma/Goodwill team in the late 90's. Another source for info would be the Garand Collectors Association (GCA), they seem to run in the same circles as 720 collectors.
I won 7 Garand's from the pistol matches. Closest I got to a 720 was placing 17th in the P100. They were hard rifles to win, at least for a guy that just shot on the weekends. It was rumored the last Navy 720 was issued around '06/07. I know the guy that won it.

The Marine Corps had a separate stash of them.

Last edited:
You should leave the rifle as issued. The 1349 is all you need to validate it.

Steve U. would be a good resource. I would be surprised if he didn't win a 720. He was one of the top rifle guys when I shot. He was one of the first to leave the M14 and go to the AR15 so he dominated matches for a while. He also shot internationally with a Palma/Goodwill team in the late 90's. Another source for info would be the Garand Collectors Association (GCA), they seem to run in the same circles as 720 collectors.
I won 7 Garand's from the pistol matches. Closest I got to a 720 was placing 17th in the P100. They were hard rifles to win. It was rumored the last Navy 720 was issued around '06/07. I know the guy that won it.

The Marine Corps had a separate stash of them.

I cant say enough good things about SteveU.

Always spot on knowledge and super helpful with all my weird projects.

He sent me a spare set of Junker frames he had to help me out with my iron sight shooting....

1626290681609.png

SteveU is a fantastic human being.........yes I have a mancrush.

Reactions: Xcount
A very nice rifle. I see it's drilled and tapped for a target sight as well. I don't think the regular rack grade ones came with that (at least the one sitting in my lap right now doesn't have it).

Great post, and great story. Made me pull my commercial one from the rack and look at it (it's been a few years).

Your sons (and grandsons) will surely appreciate you preserving it and passing it down.

b/r

Reactions: Ravenworks
I stopped shooting Navy rifle matches about the time you won that rifle. I won a couple Garands shooting Navy, Interservice and National matches and still have a Mk2-1 (7.62) Garand that Dobber and I did the full NM workup on at Interservice 91.
I shot with several folks who won 720s and have handled a few. Contracted by the Navy in the opening days of WW2 for training rifles, delivery was almost thru the whole war, as you can see.
Contact CDR Jim Adell (ret) ([email protected]). He is, without a doubt, the best source of info on SECNAV Trophy rifles, as he has copies of Crane's acquisition paperwork.

Don't know if Bill Karditzas is still running firearms training at USNA, but he would be a good resource for Academy specific info. Pretty sure he won his fair share of SECNAV Trophy rifles also.

Last edited:
I stopped shooting Navy rifle matches about the time you won that rifle. I won a couple Garands shooting Navy, Interservice and National matches and still have a Mk2-1 (7.62) Garand that Dobber and I did the full NM workup on at Interservice 91.
I shot with several folks who won 720s and have handled a few. Contracted by the Navy in the opening days of WW2 for training rifles, delivery was almost thru the whole war, as you can see.
Contact CDR Jim Adell (ret) ([email protected]). He is, without a doubt, the best source of info on SECNAV Trophy rifles, as he has copies of Crane's acquisition paperwork.

Don't know if Bill Karditzas is still running firearms training at USNA, but he would be a good resource for Academy specific info. Pretty sure he won his fair share of SECNAV Trophy rifles also.
Any chance you could post up pics of the Garand? What barrel did you run on it?

Though the scores would b nice, a letter from one or more of the rifle team members you bested would be fantastic. I'm sure they would remembers the day all to well. Would your senior yearbook identify members of the team?

Great shooting, great rifle and a fantastic story. Thank you. BTW, be very careful with the box. It is more than just a part of your rifles history. It is much more susceptible to deterioration than your rifle. Possibly some one who is a book collector can advise you of the best way to preserve it and it's contents.