• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing second hand bedded stocks, worth it or not?

allen200

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2012
Southeast Louisiana
been browsing some used stocks but i'm kind of leary of ones that have been bedded. its supposed to be a custom fit for the action that was used correct? does that material need to be removed and start fresh?

In thoery, the actions of like kind should be the same. But to take advantage of bedding, each one should be bedded since there may be minor dimensional differences.

I would rather start with an unbedded stock but if you can get it for the right price it might be worth the extra time spent making it right for your gun. A buddy of mine made a good trade for a Manners with a mini chassis. The previous owner had bedded his action into it. We took it back down to the raw aluminum mini chassis with one of these tools BARREL BEDDING TOOL | Brownells

Bolted his barreled action into it without bedding it, headed to the range and he shot a 4" five shot group at 500 yards. I'm sure it won't always work out like that especially on the first time out and without re bedding. That being said, I would choose an unbedded stock every time if money permitted.

yeah it would seem more economical but the trade off would possibly be more work than benefit, anyone else can share their experience?

If you can find a bedded stock for a decent price, try it out and see what happens. Best-case scenario, it shoots just fine. Worst-case scenario, you need to spend a few hours grinding out some old bedding material and doing a skim-bed job on it.

I bought this stock from a Hide member, threw in a barreled action, and haven't found reason to re-do the bedding yet:

thanks for the replies guys. i guess the thing is im just worried of taking a step in the wrong direction as far as accuracy and end up spending more money to make it right. my rifle is a 20" rem 308 5r. it shoots perfect as is but id prefer to go with a stock with more of a vertical grip. i was set on aics but the manners are really catching my eye. if the risk to price ratio is acceptable i will go for it. thanks again

I'm not sure if you are set on a direction to go, but I have personally had excellent luck with the mini-chassis. You could probably find one used fairly easily if that's the route you would like to go.

I'd buy a used one, grind some bedding out, rebed it with a skimcoat of Devcon. Save $... I just put together a .223 mid-range rifle in a Stockade stock that was bedded by the previous owner, it will stack them tight. I will not rebed if it shoots 600 as good as it does 200.