• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing second hand surgeon bbl swap?

RobertB

Manners Stocks Support Team
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 20, 2009
    Oak Grove, Louisiana
    Can a bbl found here on the hide that was chambered by surgeon saying scalpel on the side be swapped out to fit my surgeon with no additional smith work? Assuming that they are the same actions. 591R

I googled with no results. Thanks in advance.

I have heard the same thing. On Bugholes' website, he wrote that Surgeon actions are manufactured to such tight specs that barrels timed and headspaced on different receivers will mate up just fine. Who chambered the barrel? Did you call Surgeon to get their advice?

The last time I was working with a reasonably large sample, the uniformity was impressive. I was near the point where I was considering making pre-fit barrels- than the action supply started drying up. I'd imagine the barrel will screw on and dimensions, including headspace, will be within safe limits. I'd also bet your engraving will time up without issue

Wow, this is great news, I contacted Surgeon but no response yet. Hopefully it will be a go.

Thanks guys!

Get some Go/ No Go gauges. Relatively cheap safety items that everyone needs when doing barrel swaps.