• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Second installment *Chrono numbers*

Hateca

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 12, 2004
    Henderson NV
    The second installment.

This is serial number 002 from Phoenix Machine. Like serial number 001 this action is specifically machined to use the AI AW mag but will also use the AICS mag. This action utilized a one piece bolt and handle with re-designed cam and timing. Glen is working on serial 003 and making some minor changes to cut down on machine time when doing the work for the AW mag.

The stock is a slightly modified Manners T2A. The stock was re-textured and painted in Cerakote. (Final version will utilize a McMillan stock with RAD camo and Terry’s cheek hardware).

Badger M5 bottom metal that will take both the AW and AICS mag. No alterations are needed to the bottom metal. It takes both mags without issue.

Bartlein .298 bore chambered in .308. Barrel is 22” from the lug. Barrel is threaded and caped.

Seekins Precision base and recoil lug combo.

Finish on metal is Mil Spec OD Cerakote. Stock color is OD, Black, and Coyote Tan Cerakote.

Stock needs to cure a few more days before I can test it. Serial 001 with the 18” barrel had some very good velocities, this will be an interesting comparison. Both barrels were cut using the same reamer and both have tight bores.

GUARD2E.jpg

GUARD2A.jpg

Re: Second installment

Now if only you had done this 18months earlier and I wouldnt have wasted my time doing up a SPS-T. Nice work Randy.

JJ

Looks like a winner! I really like the paint on the stock.

Very nice!

What type of pressure do you think the chamber/action is taking with that tight bore?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DerHossMeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice!

What type of pressure do you think the chamber/action is taking with that tight bore? </div></div>

No pressure signs with factory or re-loads so unless something is done really wrong or not paying attention it should be fine. Most all my builds will utilize tight bore barrels.

I've seen this barreled action in person guys. Top notch is all I gotta say.

Randy what twist are you using?

Very cool - great looking gun, nice camo pattern. Love the idea of being able to use the AW mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Randy,

Clean out your PM box you lazy phucker
    grin.gif
    </div></div>

Hey not lazy just slow
    grin.gif
    Fixed it for you.

Nice Randy!

Is the internal length dimention any different with the AI mag vs AICS?

Is this the same 308 reamer used on past builds? I'll be interested to see the V numbers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice Randy!

Is this the same 308 reamer used on past builds? I'll be interested to see the V numbers. </div></div>

OAL is right around 2.995 in the AW mag.

Yes same reamer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice Randy!

Is this the same 308 reamer used on past builds? I'll be interested to see the V numbers. </div></div>

OAL is right around 2.995 in the AW mag.

Yes same reamer. </div></div>

That's a long chamber. Very nice stick. Now, is this action acceptable for a 7 mm WSM build?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much? </div></div>

The AW mag will allow a COAL of right around 2.995, if this is what you are asking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prom93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We need a side by side picture of #01 and #02 .........by the pool. </div></div>

I can arrange that.

Nice looking rifle Randy! I like the looks of the thicker tang, makes the whole action look more heavy duty.

Sweet rifle, smoking hot!!!

Whoever gets it will be a lucky one!!

Dyl..

Ok went to the range today to test several rifles. Had the chance to do the GUARDIAN 002 as well mostly to check velocity of the 22" barrel compared to the 18" GUARDIAN 001 I did several months ago. I had limited ammo and several rifles to do so I only fired 10 rounds for the average.

Both rifles used Bartlein barrels with .298 bores, cut with the same reamer. The ammo was from the same lot for both rifles, and the re-loads using the 155 Palma bullets were from the same lot I loaded for the first test.

<span style="font-weight: bold">These were the numbers from GUARDIAN 001 with the 18” barrel.</span>

The chrono was 10 feet from the muzzle.

Conditions: Temp 78, Pressure 29, Humidity 44%, Wind calm, Elevation 2500’.

Average for Federal 168 for 10 shots was 2622.0 FPS

Average for BH 175 for 10 shots was 2537.9 FPS

The 155 Palma reloads were done a week later.

Conditions: Temp 82, Pressure 29, Humidity 17%, Wind calm, Elevation 2500’.

Average for Sierra 155 Palma for 10 shots was 2810.0 FPS

<span style="font-weight: bold">These are the velocities for GUARDIAN 002 with the 22” barrel.</span>

Chrono was 10 feet from the muzzle.

Conditions: Temp 84, Pressure 29.93, Humidity 36%, Wind calm, Elevation 2500’.

Average for Federal 168 for 10 shots was 2735.3 FPS

Average for BH 175 for 10 shots was 2675.1 FPS

Average for Sierra 155 Palma for 10 shots was 2850.2 FPS

Not sure why but the 155's had the smallest gain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prom93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We need a side by side picture of #01 and #02 .........by the pool. </div></div>

GUARDIAN 001 is own by a buddy here in Kalifornia. GUARDIAN 002 will be posted on my website here shortly.

0010029.jpg

0010022.jpg

those are 2 bad ass looking sticks. Man i wish i had the money to bribe you into selling that stick to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The future of the tactical rifle is right here... look now, look hard, wont be long before these are standard. </div></div>

My 18" 308 would agree with you.
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The future of the tactical rifle is right here... look now, look hard, wont be long before these are standard. </div></div>

You talking about the tight bore, or about the AW mag feed?

Thanks

randy
    how come they redesigned the cam and timing of the action? Please tell us a little more about that. thanks and very nice!!! Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">randy
    how come they redesigned the cam and timing of the action? Please tell us a little more about that. thanks and very nice!!! Lee </div></div>

They changed the bolt and the action. The bolt and handle are now one unit meaning they are machined as a unit and not a two piece set up.

The primary extraction is increased by 35% this means that upon opening the bolt the case is pulled out of the chamber 35% more just upon opening, this makes for very smooth bolt cycle. This change is both in the receiver and the bolt.

There are several other action makers that are doing this as well. They have gone about it a different way but the end result is the same. The caming action starts sooner and pulls the round or brass further out of the chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prom93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, we have GUARDIAN 003 yet? with a Mcmillan A3? if so pictures please,Thanks.... </div></div>

I have the action but the stocks are still with McMillan.

is the 18 incher measured from the lug also?

those 155 velocities sound nice from a short barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is the 18 incher measured from the lug also?

those 155 velocities sound nice from a short barrel. </div></div>

Yes

Randy,
    I like the looks of that stock. The vertical lines are alot better then standard camo i have seen. RAD camo? You have a pic of that camo pattern? As always nice work.

SOTA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Randy,
    I like the looks of that stock. The vertical lines are alot better then standard camo i have seen. RAD camo? You have a pic of that camo pattern? As always nice work.

SOTA </div></div>

a51.jpg

VERY NICE , I had heard someone was doing this with a Surgeon SA , as well , .

Question , the is the scope rail , steel or Alum.

Later Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    VERY NICE , I had heard someone was doing this with a Surgeon SA , as well , .

Question , the is the scope rail , steel or Alum.

Later Chris </div></div>

Seekins Precision lug and alum base.

Hi Randy

Out of interest, what twist rate and how many grooves in the chosen Bartlein barrel for the 22" model? I see from Bartlein's website there are stack of offerings, including 5R rifling and gain twist barrels.

Cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jump70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Randy

Out of interest, what twist rate and how many grooves in the chosen Bartlein barrel for the 22" model? I see from Bartlein's website there are stack of offerings, including 5R rifling and gain twist barrels.

Cheers

</div></div>

It's a 5R 1-11.25"