• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

secondary sight options for subsonic, looking for opinions

GrantA

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2010
Thomasville, GA USA
I helped a friend work up a subsonic round for his FN Scar Light (223, 85gr Barnes Match Burners, 6.6gr Trail Boss, right at 1000fps, 82db 2ft to right of the can)
He has an Eotech with 3x magnifier, which is great for full power loads but not for the subs!
My thought (having virtually no experience playing with gas guns) was a laser zeroed for the subs @100yds, which would put the peak of the trajectory at 55yds around 3.5-4" high)
**this is since the primary use for these will be low-light critter control on a farm
Surely you guys have some suggestions too, besides another optic with a QR mount. That's a possibility too

Oh yeah, it'll need to have enough adjustment to compensate for about 18" at 100yds, that's how far they hit below the POA of the Eotech

Thanks!
Grant

Last edited:
There are a variety of different options with varying costs and pros/cons for each.

If I had a primary magnified optic (like a Viper PST1-4x or something similar in terms of mag range, etc.), then I'd be more apt to opt for a secondary RDS for use with subs which will likely be for shorter range use anyway. I suppose he could run another RDS as a secondary system, but its up to him obviously.

If he wants to keep the EoTech and ADD another sighting device, there's always a 45* offset set of irons (KAC, Dueck Defense, etc.) or similarly, an offset mount like the Burkett 45* mount for either an Aimpoint H-1/T-1/Vortex Sparc or even a Burris FF/J-Point/etc. They'll each allow for an independent zero for the subs at 50yds to well over 100yds, as well as give very fast sight acquisition and will be more than accurate enough to get the job done within reasonable ranges on paper and game.