• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Security Cams for the house

fastmouse

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2017
i hope im not getting too jaded, but looking for a good 4-6 camera system thats pretty ballistic proof that won't break the bank. Thanks in advance.

What does "ballistic proof" mean?

I am also interested, as I have started educating myself on camera systems. The new wireless ones are quite ineteresting, like these form Reolink:

https://reolink.com/shop/

But I do not have any experience and only know of one person at work that actually has these (an 8-camera system). He likes it and monitors it from his phone. There is even a remote interface module you can use to communicate with people at your door through your phone. I am somewhat concerned about the security of the wireless signals themselves though.

- a bit of bad humor, bullet proof, Just don't want to put up something that i need t take care off. It just works... reolink looks interesting.

If you can spend the money, I'd recommend the POE versions of the IP cameras as that gives you a great long term flexible solution.

Reactions: Yasherka
It is our opinion that anything wireless can be hacked. This is why the trend towards 'wired' cameras. Start at 1080p, otherwise you're only dealing with 'pixels' that are indescriptive. And then you're struck right back at square one.

(see what I did there?)

As for 'on your phone monitoring', that too is up to you and what level of actual security you want.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I put in a samsung system and love it . Two w÷ks after cameras went up shitbag parolee neighbor moved out . The only thing I regret is that I purchased a four camera unit . Should have gotten eight .

It is our opinion that anything wireless can be hacked. This is why the trend towards 'wired' cameras. Start at 1080p, otherwise you're only dealing with 'pixels' that are indescriptive. And then you're struck right back at square one.

(see what I did there?)

As for 'on your phone monitoring', that too is up to you and what level of actual security you want.
That's pretty much what I figured. Wired cameras are much more of a PITA to install in tight attic spaces, but I get that the wireless are more of a security concern. For that same reason I want to use hard storage and not cloud storage.

And yes to at least 1080p. It annoys me to no end when they ask for help identifying some slime bucket and then show you a large blob of pixels that vaguely resembles a humanoid shape.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
From what I know, the quality of the image starts with the CAMERA 1st, everything after that is spec'd accordingly.
POE, IP Cam's are strongly suggested and make install simpler.
8-camera DVR is also strongly suggested, skip the 4-channel DVR if you own a home.

From what I am finding, better camera's 'start' at $200-each.
Yup, $2000 range for a higher resolution system.

Then, there is the user interface. Some of the wireless camera companies have a very good UI but, wired is more secure. Still researching this area.
Then there is the hard drive... that should be installed in a hidden strong-box.

Anybody have experience with the following company?
https://www.backstreet-surveillance.com/

All I know of them is that they have a real address and an effective website.

AN

Last edited:
For a simple good quality do it yourself system where you have control over everything and control over the data, I would recommend looking at the Ubiquity line.

Buy a couple of these $150 cameras:
https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-video/unifi-video-camera-g3/

Run some good quality network cable to them & then back to a basic switch somewhere that also has a power strip nearby.
(POE injectors are included on the singularly boxed ones).
Then load Linux on a mid range PC, install their software
optionally download their app for your phone, or just make note of the IP address for you & log in manually.
Now you have your own security system that you control & can access remotely.

It does take just a bit of work to setup, but pretty easy if you follow the guides.
They also offer their own "Cloud" service, but no need to use it.

Also go with megapixel cameras, more is better. As mentioned if you need to zoom in to get a face or license plate number you'll have the resolution to do it instead of winding up with a blob of pixels. I wouldn't even recommend 1080p depending on how far out you might need to see.

Give consideration to having a PTZ or two as part of your system

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
oK THANKS guys for the systems and your thoughts... now... i gotta decided,,,, thanks again... its just what i wanted!