• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Security in an apartment?

Nocalphoenix

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2008
Montana
Guys Im stuck in an apartment for a while to finish school (divorce is so fucking fun) and need some thoughts on security. Im in a "nice" town where a residential burglary is rare. The complex has had a few cars broken into but the manager has been there for 9 years and does not recall anyone ever having an apartment broken into.

Needless to say getting my old safe up two flights of stairs is not gonna happen based on weight and dimensions. I grabbed one of those cheaper safes, snuck it up in the middle of the night, bolted it to a wall in a closet and made it as secure as it can get. My big safe and most of my guns when to family that is 300 miles away. Im just gonna keep my match rifle and trainer with me for now. I dont advertise my gear and have always kept a low profile.

Anyone have any ideas on how to stay low profile living in an apartment in general? I guess I really dont like the idea of openly carrying rifle cases or drag bags between the front door and the carport. I have changed the lock to prevent past tenants from returning but had to provide the key to the manager regardless. Is it as simple as keeping a carpet to roll my stuff up when I take it from the house? Cardboard box?

Thanks guys, got a lot of shit on my plate right now and this is just one more thing I need off of my mind.

Re: Security in an apartment?

By "cheaper safe" do you mean an actual safe? Those steel locking cabinets are easy to pry open (ask me how I know). I added some hasps and an improved lock mechanisms to mine (which is only an ammo and powder cabinet now).

My experience is that people don't pay a lot of attention, so I think if you put the firearms in less obvious packages (like a rolled up shooting mat) and minimize the time between the apartment and the vehicle that will help. A generic bag as a range bag rather than a camoflage one emblazoned with tacticool logos is probably a good idea.

My Class III dealer has tinted rear windows in his station wagon so people don't see the automatic weapons and suppressors he hauls around, but even a blanket over the gear or a closed trunk helps.

Good luck - I hear you on the divorce. That process really sucks.

I Did a quick google search on apartment security systems; here's one. I'm not sure how good they are, but I'm sure if you do some research you can find a good one. I've also heard about Laser Shield.

http://simplisafe.com/apartment-security

Also make sure that your cheap safe is at the most difficult angle possible for prying.

...And get some insurance. I have all of my Dad's and my rifles insured on an extra floater policy with my insurance company for about $150 a year. They are insured against theft anywhere in the world.

I gotta ask, but I guess it depends on laws, but why did you have to provide a key to the manager? No one should be able to enter your residence without your consent unless it is like a shared house or something.

On the note of that a buddy of mine lived in a place that was similar(they had keys and were required to notify you if they had to enter but didnt always do that...) and what he did was he had separately keyed locks. For a while he would simply swap doorknobs when the management needed in that worked with their key and when they were done he swapped them back.

On a note of insurance, make very sure your renters insruance covers firearms. The renters insurance I got through my apartment when I first moved in was complete crap and didnt cover hardly anything and I later switched to a real insurance company which provides specific coverage for firearms (including theft) but its a separate clause and has special limits that you pay for, the price change was negligible but always be sure you are covered before something happens.

And if you ever use any kind of safe or vault always make sure it is secured in such a way that it cant be quickly removed from your place. Those nice compact fire/gun safes are great for their price but are easily carried out if not locked/bolted onto something more permanent.

I also struggle with maintaining a low profile, physical security of myself and my property, and transportation of large quantities of weapons and ammunition across borders or parking lots.... I don't know when in America movement and storage of ones own firearms and accoutrement have become such a burden... I just received a great chain email reference the 2nd Ammendment (but that is for another thread)... for the issue of physical security: 1) Get a mid-range priced Mosler safe/cabinet, fairly lightweight, safe, and secure, apartment feasible... 2) Arm yourself with non-lethals for in/around movement and transportation... for the issue of movement in/around the apartment: 1) tinting windows, Walmart bags, discreet bags, all great ideas... for the issue of low profile: 1) resist the urge of dressing like "Johnny Rambo" or "Delta Dan" with all your tactical tailor gear and clothes in/around your apartment (I know that there is a CIA Operative in all of us, especially when we shop at Dick's, Gander Mtn, etc.)... 2) develop good story to tell neighbors if they ask any questions... 3) always wear sunglasses, even at night... and above all for ALL issues 1) put the A-Team's phone number in your iPhone speed dial...

At my last few apartments I used a baseball gear bag to move guns from apartment to car.

The bags that larger shelters an tents come in work just fine, when your moving around in plain site. Roll the weapons in a blanket to distort the outline.
Make sure you keep the "Item's on bag photo" for all to see. Just show those that ask the photo and say nothing.

I made one years ago that had a hot pink & blue flower pattern with a photo of a beach umbrella for summer, and a brown & white one for a ice fishing tent I used in the winter. Hiding things in plain site is very easy.

I was always impressed with the security this guy has in his apartment. You can see it at 12:25

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XTaOSpuzLRs"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XTaOSpuzLRs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I haven't had to face this issue yet but if I did, I would consider bolting my safe into a storage facility. I know there would be a risk with that but shit, I read about people having refrigerators with bodies in them for years and nobody knows. haha

suitcase on rollers, guitar case, etc...disassembly your weapons and carry them is normal non-firearms looking bags. Avoid camo and military appearing bags.

I guess I'm lucky. I live in a fairly large apartment and townhouse complex, but I don't try to hide my firearms. I mean I carry my rifle(s) in an OD drag bag thrown over my shoulder. One time I was walking up the outside steps (drag bag on shoulder) and a cop drove by in the parking lot and seen me. To my surprise, he kept driving. But I do recall this one time I had the drag bag on my back, Glock OWB and ammo box in one hand. I passed one of the asian residents in the stairway. He kinda jumped in the corner, didn't say a word, stood still and didn't take an eye off me until I left the building. I mean, what did the dude expect...this is West Virginia after all!

Some people put the rifle in a golf club bag, so not to scare the neighbors. If insisting on a rifle case, try to find one that is rectangular, not tapered. Tapered is a dead give away.

However if you had the right size cardboard box, that would work as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chase Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At my last few apartments I used a baseball gear bag to move guns from apartment to car. </div></div>

I think this is the winner for moving them. A lot of guys play softball, and there are some pretty large gear bags. The bigger bags also have a lot of large pockets.

Since you did know to bolt your safe in the closet consider putting a lock on the closet door.

Jim

I too am going through a divorce. Moved into an apartment with three keys. Complained to management. Got a new lock and keys. I took the lock to big box hardware store, got two dead bolts and had all locks rekeyed the same. My place of residency is MY place as long as I pay the rent on time. NO, mngmnt does not have a key to my apartment.

Good luck. Move to a place with an attached garage. Move your guns with the garage door closed.

Why would you consent to giving managment a key? I just hope you realize that if 'management' has your key so does every employee that works there, including the felon they hired to fix your AC. Change the locks again and when they ask when you did it, ask them what the fuck they were doing trying to get into your apartment. Until thats resolved I would make sure your gun safe was well hidden and do something that would let you know if someones been there. I learnt about that shit the hard way when I was 18. Had an apartment in Columbus, GA same shit about manager needs to have a key, safe, shotgun, and rifle were stolen. The safe pried off the wall and doollied out. No sign of forced entry, police report filed, safe found two weeks later dumped behind an abandoned building. Three months later insurance State Farm through the apartment complex denied to reemburse the money because there was no sign of forced entry. Filed again and told I would need a lawyer, JAG said no because I was a PFC and not supposed to have the apartment. Lawyer in town wanted more than it was worth. Thank you experience for the lesson learned

Thanks for all the tips guys. Already hit ebay and grabbed an airline approved golf bag that is 52" long and should hold rifles and gear, cost a whopping $35 plus $10 for shipping. I have used baseball bags in the past for discrete carry of rifles but my match rifle was just to long and bulky. Home depot is just down the street so I will probably be replacing my lock asap. I did pick a second floor on purpose to avoid someone coming through a sliding glass door. I cannot secure the closet door, its a slider on tracks and its the only closet in the house. I keep telling myself its only another two years of medical school but damn it seems like a long way down the road.

2vmadr4.png

All of the above posts seem nice but i have i think the best system yet. I have a 105 pound attack trained american bulldog. Two or three times a year i go outside with friends and sick him on a friend wearing a bitesleeve just to show the apt. scumbag what he is capable of. Three years in the apt. and not a single prob.

I don't get this. Or maybe I'm missing something.

I've rented ever since I left the military. Lived in a pile of places in a few different states. Dunno why everyone insists on trying to hide their guns. Or be super sneaky on the way to the car guy. Whatcha hiding suspicious new guy? Money? Drugs? Valuables that can be sold for quick cash? A guitar case, can sell that guitar instantly. Some expensive tennis rackets in that bag? Must be....

Grab your m4, hold it by the hand guard like it was any other tool and pause to talk to your neighbors. Come and go at odd hours. Lots of guns in and lots of guns out. Let your shirt ride up over your carry pieces when you go get the mail. But be friendly. Smile, smile, smile. Go investigate car alarms or loud noises in the middle of the night with a machete wearing just your boxers. It will be fun. People will be uncomfortable at first. Some will really warm up to you because you will make them feel safe. The others will give you a WIDE berth, which is also good.

I just don't see the point in posturing like a defenseless victim unless you're setting an ambush. Which you are clearly not. No one dishonest will be interested in messing with you or your place. Not with an entire complex filled with victims. If you don't show who you truly are how is anyone supposed to steer clear?

Do give management a key. It can be any key. When they find out it doesn't work they will have to explain why they were trying to use it without notice. Which gives you reason for not giving them the right key. Or another one after that point. Because at first it was an honest mistake, but now you don't feel comfortable. At this point they've already violated the key clause in the lease which states prior notice so you're off the hook.

Do change out all the old locks. Keep the old ones in a box. Reinstall them when you leave.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Do give management a key. It can be any key. When they find out it doesn't work they will have to explain why they were trying to use it without notice. </div></div>

I like this.

Yeah same problem here. my rifles are just in the apt, and it cringes me one day that they won't be here.

I'm on the 2nd floor, and it's impossible to bring that thing up the stairs, considering I might move in a year

If someone wants to steal your stuff they can, just have good insurance, and if I'm not mistaken I thought you could get some special coverage with your NRA membership. When I was in college I used to live in an apartment in an area where some people did get their apartments broken into and the wood of my door was so rotted that it could have been easily kicked in (it fell off a few times just opening it). A lot of the crime nearby seemed to be more opportunistic than anything and most things seemed to be stolen by people the victims knew and had let into their home. Another point was that most of the victims didn't own weapons and were just easier targets, and generally it was obvious if they were not home. Generally the criminals always got guitars, amps, TVs, computers, video game systems, and in I think 1 instance, drugs. What I ended up getting was a dog and though I wouldn't flaunt my weapons, I wouldn't hide my cases when I went to the car and I was vigilant of anyone watching me, and it wasn't uncommon for me to open carry. If I did leave for a trip I would often disassemble my firearms and spread their components around the apartment, to make stealing a completely functioning firearm difficult and sometimes chaining parts to other items that were more difficult to remove.
Just a thought but disassembling a firearm should help you with insurance as well since a firearm is just that stamped receiver, which can make your firearm claim much less. A scope if mounted could be considered part of your rifle but take it off and your scope could be covered by your regular insurance instead of the firearm part. Every item removed should bring your firearm claim down. Thats a good reason to always at least separate your upper and lower on your ar rifle if you are going to be leaving your house. Just a thought I'm not an insurance salesman or anything so I could be wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CalvinC4S</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Do give management a key. It can be any key. When they find out it doesn't work they will have to explain why they were trying to use it without notice. </div></div>

I like this. </div></div>

This is the solution, just be sure it's the same kind/make as mgnt is using and they will never know.

Tell everyone you're a contracted hit man.
smile.gif

Seriously tho, for long guns one of those folding canopy bags works well. The more brightly colored the better, for some odd reason it makes it less obvious. For range bags, camera bags work well, as do generic multi-pocketed duffle bags. And for general carrying duty, super large plastic shopping bags from places like Kohls and Pennys are good. Those and the smaller Target (not Walmart) bags are surprisingly strong, and no one looks twice at them.

In the apartment, think security through obscurity. If they can't find it, they can't steal it. You've done about all you can with hiding it in a closet. If possible, consider burying the gun cabinet under clothing or boxes or something else that a casual search by a burgler would miss it. Most break ins are in and out in less than 2 minutes. Finally, consider reinforcing the metal gun cabinet you have with metal plates on the hinge side and extra padlocks on the hasp side, in each case to foil a crowbar prying attach.

Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go investigate car alarms or loud noises in the middle of the night with a machete wearing just your boxers. It will be fun. People will be uncomfortable at first. Some will really warm up to you because you will make them feel safe. The others will give you a WIDE berth, which is also good.</div></div>I love this idea.
laugh.gif

done the machete one,lol, but usually im half asleep and defer to a expedient pickup yardspade on the way to check noises in the garage.
far as range bags i always use old diaper bags the wife seems to always have and regler suitcase is great lined with velcro atachpoints inside.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys Im stuck in an apartment for a while to finish school (divorce is so fucking fun) and need some thoughts on security. Im in a "nice" town where a residential burglary is rare. The complex has had a few cars broken into but the manager has been there for 9 years and does not recall anyone ever having an apartment broken into.

Needless to say getting my old safe up two flights of stairs is not gonna happen based on weight and dimensions. I grabbed one of those cheaper safes, snuck it up in the middle of the night, bolted it to a wall in a closet and made it as secure as it can get. My big safe and most of my guns when to family that is 300 miles away. Im just gonna keep my match rifle and trainer with me for now. I dont advertise my gear and have always kept a low profile.

Anyone have any ideas on how to stay low profile living in an apartment in general? I guess I really dont like the idea of openly carrying rifle cases or drag bags between the front door and the carport. I have changed the lock to prevent past tenants from returning but had to provide the key to the manager regardless. Is it as simple as keeping a carpet to roll my stuff up when I take it from the house? Cardboard box?

Thanks guys, got a lot of shit on my plate right now and this is just one more thing I need off of my mind.

</div></div>

Just use your common sense, this isn't rocket science. You said you're finishing school which sort of implies you're in school...which implies you're smart enough to get into school which implies you're smart enough to use common sense. I'm in an apartment....I load and unload my car while it's dark; while nobody is awake. Figure it out...keep a low profile. Is it really that hard to figure out the first, second and third order effects of your actions/movements?