• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seeing hits on paper target

Some people use the ShootNC targets or white paper. If I’m drilling down for group sizes when load development at 100, I use regular cardboard since it makes more defined holes. At 500 for loads I use white paper and orange dots. Everything else is usually on steel that has been painted whatever color of spray paint I can get my hands on.

• Love
Reactions: sinister
Color? I use a high mag scope. I also have my targets re-printed on heavy card stock so that the holes are
round and crisp.

Attachments

• $2750.00 EACH resized.jpg
    $2750.00 EACH resized.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: sinister
Kinda depends on conditions. Shoot n see targets are definitely easier to see beyond 300 or so but it’s not impossible to see holes on standard NRA target paper at 600 if the light is right. Plain old butcher paper, with the plastic back, is my favorite for inside 300. Anything that sticks on is going to get shot off so if it’s dots you want, draw them in with sharpie. A dark backer can make it easier to see the holes but again depends on the light. Sometimes a thin backer with nothing beyond makes for holes that appear darker.

I like white paper with red aiming points. You can see hits at 100 all day, even with crappy optics in bad conditions.

When it comes to going out past 500 - IMHO you either need pits and plastic sighters (like military ranges), steel or my personal favorite, shotmarker.

Even with great optics, add the tiniest bit of humidity or mirage (and I live in Louisiana) and your ability to see the little holes disappears quickly. Marginally better with Shoot-N-Cs but they dance enough in the mirage that it’s hard to give accurate feedback.

Reactions: USMC8551
At shorter distances I like the paste on orange dots of appropriate 1 moa size for the distance when using an moa scope.

For medium and longer the shoot n see style in larger size so I can use the scope to measure. They have a white over black I like for that.

A fresh cardboard backing helps.

Last edited:
As for spray paint, I use "High Solid paint" It cost a little more but covers really well. I seem to recall getting a 3:1
usage over other rattle cans. It does however take longer to dry.

Reactions: themightytimmah
For those who shoot under lights at night (my local club), I found that those Shoot N See targets stink. They’re too shiny and wash out. They’re fine for daytime. I prefer the blue ones with the orangish indicator color.

For homemade printouts, I’m for thicker paper, white backgrounds, and red dots. Been experimenting with a red dot with a yellow center, which in the daytime seems to be slightly more eye-catching for me, but the jury is still out.

I think at night under the lights that red dots might be the best for me.

Reactions: USMC8551
White cardboard with black garbage bags stapled on the back

Thanks, yea I thought it was too small for a home printer.
Everyone has Letter sized paper, so it may be a good time for me to CAD up a 8 1/2" X 11" for the home printers and maybe a Legal size one as well.
Inkjet is gonna get expensive for ink cartridges, though...

I now use a Longshot target cam, which has improved the quality of my range time dramatically.

Previous to investing in a target cam, the easiest for me to see hits was either the standard NRA targets, plain white, or the shoot-n-see targets everyone else mentioned. If I'm at 100 or 200 yards, I mostly use shoot-n-see targets now, because it's just easier to see my hits without setting up a camera or adjusting my scope.

You can even get fun shoot-n-see targets, like my zombie pizza guy, if you're tired of the boring old bullseyes.

Attachments

• IMG_4973.jpeg
    IMG_4973.jpeg
    550.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Kinda depends on conditions.

Definitely depends on conditions. Shooting prone in the desert, mirage is basically a given, which is great for seeing current direction but bad for seeing impacts. Magnification has little to no impact here, as I can be out there with my Gen 3 Razor, and I still can't see hits when I'm a decent distance away.