• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Seeking 223 advice....

badseed

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2010
California
I am looking to buy a 223 for mid range target shooting (300-500 yds) and moderate coyote and squirel hunting. After doing a little research i think I have narrowed it down to two rifles; Remingotn SPS tactical adn Savage 10fcp-k. I only have about $900 to spend and these seem like the best two options for my use. If I go with the Remington I will definitely get a nicer stock because the factory synthetic wont cut it. The Savage on the other hand has more features but costs more out the door about $200 for just the rifle so I may have to stay with the light accu stock for awhile. My question is what are your opinions on the two rifles. I know the savage has a little longer barrel and thus provide about 100fps faster velocity but I'm not quite sure the extra velocity is necessary. I have a few other Savages and I love the factory accuracy. It seems to be a little more hit and miss with the Remington. Also, I am fairly sure that the Savage has a little longer box length which would allow more hand loads. Any advice would be great.

Re: Seeking 223 advice....

Both of those guns sound good, But have you looked into Howa? I have a couple in 223 with different barrel configurations and both shoot awesome. That will leave you with some coin in your pocket for other goodies that you may want to add. I have a 24 and 22 inch version and don't really notice much difference between the two as far as velocity or drop goes. Both guns will shoot .75 moa or better all day and the new models have detachable mags.

I'd look at howa and savage first. Many folk have had a shit load of problems with remingtons 223 extractor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd look at howa and savage first. Many folk have had a shit load of problems with remingtons 223 extractor. </div></div>

I got a barely used Tactical a while back and dropped it into a LTR stock. It shoots OK so far with 55 HP's, but I haven't tried it with anything heavier yet.
I wasn't aware of the extractor problems Alderleet mentioned. Mine extracts 100%, but the ejection sure is lazy.

I know this is the bolt section and I dont want to ruffle feathers, but have you thought about a 18" SPR?

With that range,caliber and intent, it may be a nice option.

I have a Rem tactical and it has been a solid rifle. I went with the shorter bbl because it will have a can mounted just about every time she goes out.

I have had good luck with it got it sighted in and haven't really shot groups since. They weren't 5 or even 10 rd groups so nothing got posted, but it did good. I don't normally shoot paper with it but it is minute of crow for as long as I can shoot and sounds like shooting my Marlin 39a as far as the sound is concerned. A huge difference in noise compared to shooting a AR suppressed.

Also they can be had cheap so that helped out since I had to have it threaded and buy a AAC mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd look at howa and savage first. Many folk have had a shit load of problems with remingtons 223 extractor. </div></div>

Thats me, but I got the problem fixed. If you are gonna go with an off the shelf rifle I'd get the savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CalvinC4S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this is the bolt section and I dont want to ruffle feathers, but have you thought about a 18" SPR?

With that range,caliber and intent, it may be a nice option. </div></div>

Actually, once I sell my Savage 17hmr I plan on purchasing a Bison Armory 18" SPR for a mid sized caliber. However, I sold my custom 223 upper so that I could get a bolt action 223 that I had found and as you expect, the guy sold his rifle literally hours before I sold mine. Such is life I guess so now I am stuck on getting a 223 bolt.

If you are going the savage route the 10 PC is much closer to the SPS. It has the 20" barrel and the accustock.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10%20PRECISION%20CARBINE

I was in the same position as the OP and went with the SPS and it was a complete disaster. When I took the gun to the range for the first time I couldn't chamber factory 223 ammo. I sent it back to Big Green and they "fixed" it. when I got it back it would not shoot better than 3" groups at 100 yards. I called Remington again and they thought that was acceptable. At that point I got a savage 12 FV and have never looked back. The gun shoots great (3/4" or better at 100 yards). I also like that I can do all the barrel swaps and such on my own with the Savage. So from this experience I would go savage. I am not bashing Remington just had a terrible experience with them.

I have heard the accuracy complaints about Remington and I have yet to hear anything negative about the Savages except about the ugly barrel nut and issues trying to add dbm with 5+ round mags. I looked at the PC and I like it but it does not have the fluted barrel which I like and the rifle is only about $30-50 cheaper. I found a place in Ohio that is advertising the 10fcp-k for $699. It looks like I am gona go the Savage route.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badseed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard the accuracy complaints about Remington and I have yet to hear anything negative about the Savages except about <span style="color: #FF0000">the ugly barrel nut </span>and issues trying to add dbm with 5+ round mags. I looked at the PC and I like it but it does not have the fluted barrel which I like and the rifle is only about $30-50 cheaper. I found a place in Ohio that is advertising the 10fcp-k for $699. It looks like I am gona go the Savage route.</div></div>

my only problem with savages and why I don't, and probably never will, own a centerfire version