• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seeking advice on an AR15 complete uppper Assm.

Sidk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2009
Vegas
Doing my first AR build(first AR too) and seeking some advice on an Complete upper. Is there any advantage to a 7 twist 16" over a 9 twist, all my other guns I tend to go with heavier bullets. I reload so toss that into the mix. Whats the difference between a mid length and a standard, also preban, is that better. There is so much info out there its tough to decipher it all. I was looking at this. What do you think? CQB or short range.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=665965

I may not buy it there but just a good place to look around and get ideas.

Oh, and is the Daniel Defense lower parts kit good?

Re: Seeking advice on an AR15 complete uppper Assm.

I did my first build last year with the help of my father-in-law while I was on Emergency leave from Guam. He assembled the lower and I bought a complete upper from DEZ Arms. Unfortunately I had to go back to Guam before my upper came in but my father-in-law liked it also and he ordered one from them. I finally got to shoot it about a month ago when I returned back and its a tack driver. So if you want a good upper thats not real expensive look them up.

You may have to copy and paste in url.

The upper I have is on the link below and I had them put a MagPul MOE handguard on it:

http://www.shop.dezarms.com/images/# 32 16 Eliminator A3 Flat top Upper.jpg

And here is the link to their upper assemblies:

http://www.dezarms.com/products/AR15-assemblies.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doing my first AR build(first AR too) and seeking some advice on an Complete upper. Is there any advantage to a 7 twist 16" over a 9 twist, all my other guns I tend to go with heavier bullets. I reload so toss that into the mix. Whats the difference between a mid length and a standard, also preban, is that better. There is so much info out there its tough to decipher it all. I was looking at this. What do you think? CQB or short range.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=665965

I may not buy it there but just a good place to look around and get ideas.

Oh, and is the Daniel Defense lower parts kit good? </div></div>
If you shoot heavy bullets the 1-7 will work better for the twist over the 1-9. Mid length, carbine, and rifle but there is no standard. That is the spot where the gas port is located on the barrel. I would go with a mid or rifle but the carbine is not the best. You will have a smoother shooting rifle with a mid or rifle gas system.
Check out Rainier Arms for complete uppers. If you want build your own from scratch and learn all the fun stuff while puting it all together
smile.gif
If you need any help on anything shoot me a PM.
The upper you have in the picture is an aftermarket piston kit. If you are to go Piston buy LMT or POF JMHO

Do you and most everyone else here think the gas system is better?

my opinion on pistons is this. Do they work, yes, do you need them probably not. Unless you are a high-round count shooter, shooting thousands of rounds per month, there is no real "big" reason to go piston. I think it is a solution to problem that did not really exist. Yes it keeps the gas out of the upper, and runs cleaner, and cooler, but if you maintain your gas system and rifle with regular maintainence, and cleaning, there is no real "need" to go the piston route. It's icing on the cake. I like cake with our without frosting
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you and most everyone else here think the gas system is better? </div></div>
If this was directed to me then yes and no. They both have great things about them that have been previously mentioned. I would stay away from the one you posted though. If you are going to buy piston buy from a piston made upper not a piston kit upper. I have never had an issue with my POF and yes I never have to clean the thing except a oil wipe down to prevent rust. The piston is not as smooth feeling when shooting than a DI gas system. I like DI with an adjustable gas block to tune the gas system to the gun and load being used. I started building my own ARs and never will buy a complete gun again. (By building I meen lego the rifle together) Piston or DI both will do more than the average shooter will ever need in a rifle.
Go with something that is easy to replace parts if needed. POF or LMT still stands as some of the best. JMHO

even having a high count shooter i swear doesnt matter between piston and gas. I read an article not to long ago where they took a colt 6920 and over a couple month period shot just over 17000 rounds through it, with out cleaning it once. Somewhere in the mid 17000s the gun had a fatal malfunction. i personally watched 3 hk 416 have fatal malfunctions with less than 3000 rounds through them. Gas works and there is no arguing about it and thats what i like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Oh, and is the Daniel Defense lower parts kit good? </div></div>

I've used a couple of DD LPK's without any problems.

Generally speaking, DD is a respected brand with quality stuff. One of their uppers would likely serve you well.

KAC SR15E3 Upper. Great upper, great rifle. You can't build one with the features for less, youll get close but not all the features.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ndPanzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KAC SR15E3 Upper. Great upper, great rifle. You can't build one with the features for less, youll get close but not all the features. </div></div>
You can build one hell of an upper for the amount of the knights and yes it would even be better at the same cost. Not close but you will pass up the features and quality by building one yourself with better parts than the knights. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ndPanzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KAC SR15E3 Upper. Great upper, great rifle. You can't build one with the features for less, youll get close but not all the features. </div></div>
You can build one hell of an upper for the amount of the knights and yes it would even be better at the same cost. Not close but you will pass up the features and quality by building one yourself with better parts than the knights. JMHO </div></div>

Sorry, that was meant mostly for the complete rifle, not the upper alone. It would be easy to build a nice upper that would equal or rival the KAC Upper in alot of ways, but it does have some unique features you can't get anywhere else. The full ambi Lower is also very nice.
For the features I was wanting the KAC fit the Bill perfectly for me and to duplicate it myself would have cost alot more. Like the Rail used, the midlength Hammer forged barrel, sights, Etc.. It just did it for less for my needs and wants. The URXII rail with integral sight is great and the E3 bolt is a very nice upgrade as well. the rifle is extremely light for its size. It weighs less with the T1 and mount than my Issue M4 does with out the M68 CCO.