• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Seeking advice on value: NF F1 NXS 3.5-15 vs Steiner T5xi 3-15

Dr. Davy Jones

After those 1st round hits
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2020
Maine
Hey gents, I’m hoping to tap into the wealth of first-hand, hard experience here for some scope advice.

I recently bought a Nightforce F1 NXS 3.5-15 with the MLR2 reticle and like it a lot. Super tough, nice features, great magnification range for my purposes. That said, I’m a man of limited means who tries to squeeze out every ounce of value I can and I’m also looking to upgrade my trigger, brake, etc. I’m wondering about selling the scope and recouping some cash by buying a less expensive replacement.

The Steiner T5xi 3-15 has caught my eye and seems to offer all that I’m looking for and has a good used price point, but alas I have no experience with them.

My question is- would the Steiner be much of a drop in quality over the NF?

A little about what I’m looking to do with it:
  • It would go on my bolt gun— a 20” R700 6.5 Creed with bartlein barrel in an XLR chassis.
  • 95% of the time I use it to do PRS type shooting at 1-2 MOA steel up to 1000 yds but also use the gun for hunting deer in the fall with short shooting lanes (my deer this year was at 35 yds.)
  • I prize turret precision and overall ruggedness the most, with glass quality after those. I know the Steiners had a turret issue years ago, but that seems to be fixed if I’m not mistaken.
  • Having something like 3-4x at the low end is important for the hunting.
  • Having a FFP is a must.
And additionally, am I overlooking other scopes that would suit my needs?

Looking forward to hearing people’s experiences. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Considering Steiner is Burris, I'd get the Nightforce.

Steiner is Burris? Well thats confusing... 🤔

I should clarify, as the name implies, Steiner is not Burris, nor vice versa. They are two separate companies, with two separate product lines. They share the same parent company, which is Berreta.

Thats like saying Volkswagen and Lamborghini are the same company because they are both owned by Audi.

OP; The T5Xi would be a good choice. I'm not sure you would see a marked difference in optical quality. Another one to look at would be the NF SHV F1 in 4.4-14. Though I'm not sure how the costs shake out on those and how much money you would put in your pocket.

Reactions: Dr. Davy Jones
I don't think its likely you will be able to sell the NXS for more than the TX5i will cost. The NXS is a couple generations old and doesn't bring that much money anymore. But the only way to know is to try. Depending on the cost of the TX5i there are lots of good options with the same features in that price point. Many of which I feel like surpassed the quality of the TX5i, which is also kind of an old design by todays standards. {I.E} Companies are coming out with new stuff at a break neck pace. This arms race has loaded the $1k market with good options.

Thanks for the replies guys. Looking at the SWFA 5-20 as well. Had a SS 10x prior and liked it a lot.

You can't go wrong with either. Both are awesome optics for that class . I like the Steiner turret more but that's just a personal preference. Why all the hate for Burris? I've had good luck with xtr ii I have. I would say keep your night force if you like it. The t5xi wouldn't be an upgrade or downgrade just different. If you want to recoup some funds for other stuff give the p4xi and the xtr's a good look. Both great options for a bit less and won't disappoint in tracking or clarity. I really like the scr reticle as well Simple clean and easy to read for holds.

You can't go wrong with either. Both are awesome optics for that class . I like the Steiner turret more but that's just a personal preference. Why all the hate for Burris? I've had good luck with xtr ii I have. I would say keep your night force if you like it. The t5xi wouldn't be an upgrade or downgrade just different. If you want to recoup some funds for other stuff give the p4xi and the xtr's a good look. Both great options for a bit less and won't disappoint in tracking or clarity. I really like the scr reticle as well Simple clean and easy to read for holds.
Really helpful. Thanks!

If I were you, I'd keep the NXS.

You know they don't make that one anymore, right? F1 3.5-15? They've discontinued some of their best shit if you ask me, including the smaller OBJ 2-10 NXS models.

Not sure what to think about SHV and NX8. I went with ATACR but get a discount and subscribe to the whole "buy once, cry once" philosophy.

USO 3.2-17x LR17 or B17 is another good scope that goes used for good prices. LR17 = lots of usable elevation.

Reactions: Dr. Davy Jones