• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Seeking basic suppressor advice....

Onewolf42

Peon
Minuteman
I'm going to finally get off my butt and get a suppressor (or 2). Initially I would be looking for a suppressor (or 2) to use with my 223Rem, 6 Creedmoor, 260 Rem, and 284 Win bolt rifles. All four of these rifles are threaded 5/8x24.

In my ignorance, it seems like I would want a suppressor I could move around to the 4 different rifles? Are there good suppressors available with direct 5/8x24 threading that do not need to be clocked? It seems like that would be most convenient?

Would a single suppressor work well across the 4 calibers (223 Rem to 284 Win)?

Any particular suppressors recommended for this scenario?

I assume I would use someone like the 'silencer shop' to purchase/paperwork/etc.

Almost anything (.30 cal suppressor) on the market will meet your requirements to screw on all of them and not require timing. Almost no suppressors require clocking/timing themselves.

From our line I'd point at the Ultra 7 for a more compact one, or the Magnus for the most quiet

Reactions: jcam and DIBBS
I have a .30 cal and two .223 suppressors. I prefer multiples so I don’t have to switch a bunch during range day. If I had to start over and buy new again I would forgo the .223’s and only get a couple .30 cal with the same mounting system on all rifles.

Look into Rex Silentium. I have a few of their cans and for the money and modular construction, I think they are a great can. Do a search on the hide and there are a few threads talking about them. Good thing about them is you can either run the direct thread option or muzzle devises.

Reactions: Bluedog82
I'm going to finally get off my butt and get a suppressor (or 2). Initially I would be looking for a suppressor (or 2) to use with my 223Rem, 6 Creedmoor, 260 Rem, and 284 Win bolt rifles. All four of these rifles are threaded 5/8x24.

In my ignorance, it seems like I would want a suppressor I could move around to the 4 different rifles? Are there good suppressors available with direct 5/8x24 threading that do not need to be clocked? It seems like that would be most convenient?

Would a single suppressor work well across the 4 calibers (223 Rem to 284 Win)?

Any particular suppressors recommended for this scenario?

I assume I would use someone like the 'silencer shop' to purchase/paperwork/etc.
You won't need to "clock" any direct-thread mounted suppressor. You will only need to "clock" muzzle brakes and things like that.

It you only plan on using it for bolt-actions and hunting, then I would strongly suggest looking into the Dead Air Nomad-LT (titanium version of the Nomad-L). It's really light and REALLY quiet. It comes with a 5/8x24 direct-thread mount already in it. And it will work phenomenally for all of your rifles. 👍🏼

Another good option is the new Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L suppressor. Contact @AndrewKing for more info. 👍🏼

Dead Air Nomad Ti will be awesome for those short action cartridges. Many, many other options out there as well but the main ones have been listed here already.

I have a .30 cal and two .223 suppressors. I prefer multiples so I don’t have to switch a bunch during range day. If I had to start over and buy new again I would forgo the .223’s and only get a couple .30 cal with the same mounting system on all rifles.
I love my saker 556k but if i could do it over I agree with you and would of just got a .30 cal. But now I can just wait for another bogo and get a silencerco omega and a freebie.

Back to original post I’m partial to silencerco because that’s what I have and the asr mounts are stupid easy. Omega 36m might be what you’re looking for.

Lots of great options. Start with a .30 cal can for versatility, and from there you can grow your collection.

For pure suppression, nothing replaces volume. But that comes with more length and weight. So keep that in mind. Shooting supersonic cartridges are still not hearing safe, so you may or may not find having maximum suppression be the top goal.

TBAC has a few options, Dead Air Nomad, SiCo Omega, KGM R30 series, Abel Co Biscuit, etc.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
If I didn’t have a bag of suppressors, could do it over, and could only have one I’d spring for the TB .338. Will work on any rifle from 5.56- and is very quiet.

I have never cared about size, and shoot a TB 9” on my comp rifle. Obviously if you need something compact for some reason this is not a good plan.

I have a Rugged Obsidian in jail for a Stribog, because I wanted something small and compact.

As it is suppressors are at least AS addictive as rifles.

I would start with a 30 caliber... or maybe just buy several of same. Be prepared to wait ~12 months to receive them though. You may want to check decibel reduction ratings on models you are considering.
I don't know that any of them are totally ear safe... ie don't require plugs or muffs- if there are I may have to purchase one as I probably am at 50% hearing loss and have tinnitus as well. (constant ringing in my ears.)

Good Luck.

What’s important to you? Length, weight, max suppression? The CGS Helios QD or QD TI checks a lot of boxes, pretty small, low back pressure on gas guns, great suppression on bolt guns, can be very light if choosing titanium, can be ran direct thread or QD with any hub mounting system, solid or vented end caps.

Reactions: Dragemd
The YHM resonator is a lot of can for not a lot of money…

OP, I don't have a single can dedicated to a smaller caliber and do not see a reason for doing so. Pick a quality 30-cal can and run it on all your rifles. Or heck, drop on a 338 can if you think that might be in your future. When I run a 338 Ultra SR on my .223 bolt gun, it's quiet.

Your .223 has a 5/8x24? That's not the norm.

That is true for ARs, but 5/8-24 threading is not uncommon for .223 bolt guns.

My 30cal direct-thread can is a Ho. Goes between 5 ARs 223-6.8 and 2 bolt guns, 6.5C and 6.8. The 308AR I bought it for is, ironically, gone. The biggest factor I've anecdotally and subjectively noted in noise reduction is barrel length.

You won't need to "clock" any direct-thread mounted suppressor. You will only need to "clock" muzzle brakes and things like that.

It you only plan on using it for bolt-actions and hunting, then I would strongly suggest looking into the Dead Air Nomad-LT (titanium version of the Nomad-L). It's really light and REALLY quiet. It comes with a 5/8x24 direct-thread mount already in it. And it will work phenomenally for all of your rifles. 👍🏼

Another good option is the new Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L suppressor. Contact @AndrewKing for more info. 👍🏼
Andrew is well known for his sketchy business practices when he ran Quell Tech, I don't know what he offers now, but the Flo v 1.0 he offered from Quell Tech was a really good performer, actually better than a lot of form 4 cans. The later Flo versions were not as effective as the original, if he is offering anything from Otter Creek that have the Flo 1.0 baffles, that is what I would buy.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Andrew is well known for his sketchy business practices when he ran Quell Tech, I don't know what he offers now, but the Flo v 1.0 he offered from Quell Tech was a really good performer, actually better than a lot of form 4 cans. The later Flo versions were not as effective as the original, if he is offering anything from Otter Creek that have the Flo 1.0 baffles, that is what I would buy.
Can you elaborate on the “sketchy business practices” part…? Everything seems pretty straight-forward now that he has his own FFL…

I just bought a Hydrogen-L and S from him and the Form-3 got approved, and they’re shipping today or tomorrow to my SOT… So far, everything seems as legit as any other business I’ve dealt with. 🤷🏼

I mean, you can’t really fuck around too much when it comes to NFA stuff…That’s highly-regulated Federal level stuff.

What?? Sketchy? I’m genuinely confused and would like you to elaborate.

"Sketchy business practices" I should have used different terminology, if you bought and paid for anything from Quell you received it in a timely fashion, that part of the business is not what I was referring to.

• Angry
Reactions: JohnCarter17
"Sketchy business practices" I should have used different terminology, if you bought and paid for anything from Quell you received it in a timely fashion, that part of the business is not what I was referring to.
That still doesn't answer anything about "sketchy business practices"... If you're going to call someone out, own it. You either heard some 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or even 5th-hand info that you can't confirm, or you know something personally from a bad experience. If so, say it out loud. Don't the rest of us on the forum need to be aware if someone is "sketchy"?

OP, yes a single silencer can be swapped around and work well on all four of your rifles.

You also mentioned possibly getting two cans. If so, I personally would opt for two 30 cal cans, one compact and one full size. You could swap around as needed depending on what you wanted out of each rifle. Something like the TBAC Magnus and an Ultra 5 would be a good pair to own.

You will probably end up getting a dedicated can for each rifle though.

Your .223 has a 5/8x24? That's not the norm.
I had my 223 AR barrel made with 5/8-24 threads. Easier to remember which muzzle devices fit since most of my guns are the same pitch.

OP- have to agree with a 30 cal can and make it your bitch. I use a YHM Phantom SS on everything from 5.7x28 to 6.5. When it wears out, I’ll get another 30 cal can and do the same.

Calling someone sketchy is just a hefty accusation.
So if we make quality stuff that works well, which you admitted.
And we ship things out in a timely manner as advertised, which you admitted.
Then what’s sketchy? That’s by definition not sketchy business.

My choice would be a TBAC Ultra 7 using the CB brake mounting. I have this can and use it on several different rifles from .223 to 300 WM. Light weight, great warranty and solid engineering.