• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Seeking input on adding a suppressor to my inventory

sawgunner2001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Question: Which suppressor to add for the intended host, and which suppressor to use on other rifles.

Intended host for new suppressor: PWS Mk110 5.56mm (10.5” non-adjustable gas piston). This is the nightstand rifle and what would likely be used in a SHTF situation.

Current suppressor inventory: SiCo Specwar 762. It’s been a great host for 10k+ rounds. No baffle/endcap strikes, no erosion on blast baffle (the PWS is braked). I do get carbon lock occasionally, but only on my bolt rifle for some reason, and I’ve always been able to get it off with a little elbow grease.

Problem: Specwar is long (9”), heavy (24oz), and a little gassy even with XH buffer and XP spring. Want something (in order)
1.) Same or less blowback than I’m getting with the Specwar
2.) Shorter/lighter
3.) Durable
4.) Maximum suppression (distant 4th)

Possible solutions and suppressors I've considered likely candidates, in order, based on my preliminary research to solve my 'problem.'
Surefire 556RC2
DA Sandman-S
OSS HX-QD 5.56
*Note: I’m a little skeptical of OSS. I realize it gets great reviews for backpressure, but their name change to HuxWrks or whatever they call themselves has me a little on edge about the stability of the company. I’m also a ‘late-adopter’ of new tech. Why is everyone else still using baffles if their flow-through’ is so great? Patents? This might actually be the best 'solution' if I could get over these hangups.

Other rifles and intended applications below. I realize that only one of those is a 556 rifle and if the best solution for the PWS is a 556 can, the questions don’t apply to the larger cals. If however, you think the DA Sandman is best suited for the PWS, which would you use between the Sandman and the Specwar? (this will aid in deciding what kind/how many muzzle devices to buy)

223 Wylde 20” DI AR15: Used for mid-range precision fun & occasional coyote hunting (2-4 times/yr). Which suppressor? Specwar or one of the ‘solutions?’

8.5” 300BO, direct impingement AR15: Fun gun, ‘sometimes’ used for hunting. Priorities (in order) maximum suppression for subsonic fun, length/weight is not really a consideration. Blowback with the Specwar has not been problematic. Specwar or Sandman?

GAP10, 18.5” 308: Used for mid-long range precision fun. Specwar or Sandman? The length/weight of the Specwar is not bothersome to me on this rifle. Would the Sandman sound ‘better?’

Savage 110, 6.5CM, 26”: Long range precision. Specwar or Sandman? Admittedly, the Specwar’s length/weight gets quite unwieldy on a 26” heavy barrel, but it doesn’t get carried much. Usually a bench/prone rifle. I will say, the Specwar is extremely quiet on this rifle. I’d ‘almost’ call it hearing safe.

Thanks for your opinions.

Seems like the specwar covers your larger calibers. A dedicated suppressor for your night stand gun sounds like a good idea. I’ve been a fan of my RC2. Low back pressure, good signature reduction and I’m confident it’ll last many thousands of rounds.

Reactions: sawgunner2001
Just save yourself the headache and get the Sandman-S (regular or FDE). I love both of mine (regular and FDE MIL-Contract). It's the best can for it's length, and one of the most durable and rugged, and best sounding with a nice deep tone. PEW Science also rated it as their 3rd lowest back pressure can in their testing. It's not very gassy, so I can believe that. 👍🏼

Another awesome option would be the Nomad-30 with a KeyMo setup. Also a great can with excellent suppression and tone.

Reactions: sawgunner2001