• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seeking insight for new rifle purchase

OleGrim

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2020
First, let me start by thanking you for helping me with my decision.

I have a 23 year old Browning A-Bolt chambered in 7MM-08 that has served me very well, but it's time to upgrade. The longest distance I have harvested game with this rifle is approximately 150 yards. My previous hunting encounters have not offered long range opportunities.

I now have opportunities to hunt at longer ranges (up to 400-500 yards), and I have purchased a .30 cal suppressor, so I'm looking to purchase a new rifle. I have sensitive hearing and throwing on hearing pro prior to shooting has not been ideal.

I began my search set on the Browning Predator Hunter in 6.5 CM. The rifle is reasonably priced, sub 7lbs, has a 22" heavy barrel, and is threaded in 5/8-24. I stumbled upon a thread from this forum where someone purchased this rifle, but the threads were not actually 5/8-24 as advertised. I am also concerned about Browning's CS, but I do not have any personal hesitations with their rifles given my past success with my current rifle.

Given my desire to have a 22" (or shorter) barrel for maneuverability with the suppressor, I believe stepping up to the 6.5 PRC to enhance my ballistics is a viable option. I will mainly be hunting deer sized game, hogs, predators, and varmints. I would love to go on an elk hunt one day, but that is most likely years from today. At that point I may purchase a larger caliber rifle better suited for larger game even though I believe the 6.5 PRC is up to the challenge given the right conditions.

I do not currently reload and I do not have plans to reload in the near future. My original budget for the rifle minus optic was $1,200, but I'm willing to bump that up to the $2,500 range. I'm not interested in building a custom rifle because I do not know a good smith and frankly I do not know where to begin. This rifle is solely for hunting and the range. I am not a competition shooter. Also, I like mags, just what I'm used to, but I'm sure I can be swayed.

This will likely be my last gun purchase for some time since my wife and I will be having children soon. Will the Browning Predator Hunter in 6.5CM suit my needs, sure, but I would like feedback from experienced users regarding the fine rifles listed below, or any other glaring omissions.

Christensen Arms Mesa - Pros: reasonably priced, lightweight, great reviews, availability Cons: 24" barrel (is the barrel able to be cut down and rethreaded?), factory thread 1/2x28

Bergara Highlander - Pros: great CS and rifle reviews, threaded 5/8-24 Cons: heavy

Fierce Edge / Rival - Pros: .50 MOA guarantee, availability Cons: price

Seekins Havak / Havak Element - Pros: great reviews, very lightweight (Element), 21" barrel, threaded 5/8-24 Cons: Fluting and stainless barrel (personal taste), 90 degree bolt?, and price

Proof Elevation MTR - Cons: Few/no reviews and PRICE

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. I'm open to thoughts/opinions & suggestions. Also, I should be able to get my hands on all of these rifles with the exception of the Havak. Again, thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Might be worth checking out the Sig Cross. Seems like a good blend of weight and features for the price.

Thanks for the idea. Wasn't on my radar. I checked out the Cross post here on SH. Wonder when it'll be available. Light weight, 18" barrel, threaded, folding stock is a plus. Sure checks a lot of boxes.

I have a CA MPR 6.5 PRC and love it. Folds down pretty short for backpack and hunting. It's very lightweight. I have the carbon 24" barrel. It's a tack driver and my experience with their CS has been excellent.
CA MPR 6.5CM comes with 22" option. I'd just get the 6.5 PRC but that's my opinion. Ballistics match my 300 WBY mag at 500 and are better at 800 yds with the 156 gr Berger EOL HPBT.

I know you said you aren't interested in a custom build because you don't know a gunsmith, but I would look into some of the gun builders that people talk about on Snipers Hide. I just had a 300WM built by Blue Mountain Precision and they were awesome and very easy to deal with. They will build with pretty much any action, caliber, chassis, barrel etc that you want. There are a bunch of others smiths too that do the same. Prices are very reasonable too. I bet you could easily have something built to stay under your budget, possibly with room to spare.

Just wanted to give you an FYI because i was in the same boat as you with no local gunsmiths.

Thanks for another solid option db. I'll add it to my list. What's the weight of your CA MPR 6.5PRC?

Thanks Eagle. I'll start researching some of the builders on here as well as Blue Mountain Precision. I've got time.

I like 6.5CM for ease of finding good factory ammo. Whatever you get you still be using ear pro with a supressor. The sound levels are still well into the range that causes hearing damage.

Thanks for another solid option db. I'll add it to my list. What's the weight of your CA MPR 6.5PRC?
7.5# w/ 24" carbon barrel unloaded and no optic. I like to adjustable options and rock solid folding stock of this style chassis.
I own Seekins AR rifles and their quality is excellent so I believe all the positive reviews on the PH2 and Element. CS is excellent too.
I've shot a carbon 6.5 PRC Ridgeline out to 1130 and it's a really nice, light rifle also. Smooth as silk action.

I like 6.5CM for ease of finding good factory ammo. Whatever you get you still be using ear pro with a supressor. The sound levels are still well into the range that causes hearing damage.
I shoot my 16” 6.5CM suppressed all the time with no hearing protection and no issues. That being said, if you are planning on an all day shooting session then I would say hearing protection would be a good idea. Also have shot a semi-auto 308 (Scar 17) numerous times with suppressor and no hearing protection and had zero issues.

I shoot suppressed exclusively and always have ear pro in, unless you are shooting subs you are going to damage your hearing. There are no suppressors that will take the shot below 80 decibels.

Most know this but no pain doesn't equate to no hearing damage. > 80 dB can cause damage, especially after repeated exposure.