• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Seeking Optics Advice...

Maverick223

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2009
Huntersville, NC
Help me out...I have just recently purchased a yet-to-be-shipped Desert Tactical SRS in .300WM. I would like add a nice piece of glass to it without spending a fortune. I have been strongly considering a IOR in 6-24x50mm; however I would prefer a FFP scope, and have heard horror stories about IOR FFP scopes, also the highest magnified scope in FFP is their 3-18x44mm IIRC. Recently I have been considering other options. One is a NF 5.5-22x50mm as well as a Premier Reticles 5-25x56mm but neither is what I really want and neither are what I would like to pay. The NF has rather bland glass and a small tube, and the Premier is very expensive and has too large a objective bell for my taste (DTA also recommends that the Obj. be no larger than 56mm). As of right now I am leaning towards spending the cash and getting the Premier however I would like to have enough cash to afford to shoot the thing after delivery. What to do? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, Mav.

P.S.: Glass clarity and brightness are of utmost importance to me, and my eyesight is not terribly great so a decent magnification is prefered. The rifle is likely to see service in paper punching (generally at 500yds bu as skill improves out to 1500yds+), and may be used for long range hunting (200-500yds), if used in this capacity it will be from raised blinds so weight is not a primary concern.

Re: Seeking Optics Advice...

Nightforce has bland glass? That's news to me. Why are you wanting a huge diameter tube? I think 30mm is a great size and don't see how bigger is going to be all that better. My vote is for the Nightforce.

Thanks for the reply, punk
smirk.gif

Want the larger tube for the better light gathering characteristics and adjustments...

NF is not "bland", whomever told you that is a fucking retard, larger diameter tubes are for increased adjustment range, yes it does allow more light to come thru, but its not night and day different, as for FFP, unless your shooting movers its not required. Now that we have out of the way, why don't you list your price range, and we can help you out.

What about USO? If the price range is reflective of NF and Premiere it would be around $1500-2500. That will get you plenty of scope from any of the big players in optics

NF with bland glass? I think your eye sight may be worse than you think bud...

a larger tube or gathering more light??? a larger objective might, but all the larger tube is really gonna do for ya is increase your adjustment range as 427Cobra stated above...

Tube diameter has more to do with adjustment not light gathering. The gathering comes fom the objective size, the larger it is the more light it lets in. The tube is where the light is transmitted through the internal lenses. The larger the tube the larger the lenses internally. Saying that, it has been shown over and over that a 1" vs a 30mm has a negligible difference that unless you are superman you won't notice. When people say they notice a difference it is due to the glass quality. Put simply I would rather have a scope with a 1" tube and excellent glass than a scope with a 30mm tube and mediocre glass.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maverick223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the reply, punk
smirk.gif

Want the larger tube for the better light gathering characteristics and adjustments...

</div></div>

IIRC exit pupil has more to do with light transmission than anything else.
But then again, he say's NF's are bland.

Here's a hooror story about IOR FFP's- the third generations are rock solid, and if you get a first or second that goes tits up Val and Scott at Valdada send you a new third gen pronto.

Sounds like you want top shelf for midline budget. You get what you pay for in glass, and you aren't gonna find anything that beats IOR in the mid price range for clarity if you think NF's glass is bland.

If NF or IOR don't float your boat, pony up for USO, S&B or Premier.

I thought I had settled on a IOR at first, however the horror stories that I heard about the 1st gen. scopes started to sway me towards more rugged optics. Perhaps I shouldn't have listened... As far as FFP, I think it would be helpful to utilize the mildot ranging in its full capacity (at all magnification levels, without applying conversion factors). I am now considering the IOR in 3-18x42mm, however the objective is a bit small as well as the magnification. Unfortunately IOR does not produce the 6-24x50mm in a FFP, I believe it would be near perfect.

Also...will the IOR handle the recoil from a .338LM? I don't want to have to change the glass when I upgrade the rifle.

It'd be definately worth you time to give Scott at Liberty Optics a call regarding the IOR's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It'd be definately worth you time to give Scott at Liberty Optics a call regarding the IOR's.</div></div>
Thanks, Sober...will do.

I would take a look at the USO website and see if you can build yourself something within your range. I think you might be surprised at what you come up with.

Great glass, amazing durability, and unbeatable customer service.

I would either go with NF or IOR to. In fact, we're getting a 2-12x32 IOR scope this week. The glass usually is a little better in the IOR's than the NF scope's. Go to Liberty Optics and take a look. http://www.libertyoptics.com/index1.html

So the IOR in FFP (3rd gen.) are GTG? I would like to get a little more confirmation before committing. Also still have to call Scott, was just too busy today. Thanks all, Mav.

One additional thought, I have ordered the 40MOA taper single-pc. base for the weapon. A 35MOA and 20MOA base is also available, do you think the 40MOA was too great a taper (for which if any scope). I don't want to get the wrong base and have plenty of elevation for those mile-long shots and not have enough adjustment for a 200yd chip-shot.
wink.gif

I'd go with the 25moa mount myself, 40 seem's like alot. However as long as you can still get a 100 yard zero it won't matter.

If your talking about the 3-18x IOR scope that comes 2 way's, FFP in the Snipers Hide Ed. & 2nd FP in the reg. one, I would go with the regular one. Talk to Scott, I think he will tell you the same thing. I guess the 1st FP model never really worked the way it should have. Plus the reg. one has a lit retical. I don't like FFP anyway. I think your best bet is to call Scott and tell him what your looking for, he'll tell you what would be best for your set up. Good luck.

Talked to Scott and he is THE MAN...I have just been put on the list for the Premier Reticles 5-25x56mm for $2249.00USD, yes I typed it correctly $500.00 below MSRP. It has all of the features I like and in a very durable package. The only problem is that it will not be available until June (About a month after I receive my SRS); but at that price I CAN WAIT. After finding out the details on the Premier I couldn't get my order in fast enough. Thanks for all of the help.

Oh as far as the base, to my knowledge a 25MOA taper is not offered by DTA, and I would like to use their base. A 20MOA and either 30MOA is offered however I just spoke to Nick at DTA and he said that the 40MOA will work fine with the Premier Reticle Scope (due to the greater adjustment range).