• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seeking scope recommendations (w/Mil-Dot reticle)

muad

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
I'm in the planning phases of building up a tOBR to be my precision hunting rig for 400+ yard varmint hunting, shooting steel, etc. Longest range in my area is 500 yards, and while I'd love to shoot 1000+ at some point, this rifle is not being built for that.

I'm currently looking at different scope options. I was thinking something like a 3.5-21x or similar would be sufficient for magnification; as I do want the ability to zoom in good to see whistle pigs at distance, or see small steel targets. That said, all of the reticle options these days are busy AF! I normally work up a dope card and then dial elevation, and use hold overs for windage. A simple Mil-Dot reticle works fine for this.

I have an older Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 on my Siete that has the Mil-Dot reticle, and I love it (that scope has been on various rifles over the years). I was hoping for a similar setup (Mil-Dot with .1 MIL turrets), just not quite the magnification.

Any input is appreciated. No budget is set yet as I have a couple things to pay off before I buy anything, but I'd say with mount (LaRue) and all I'd like to stay below $2500. Must be FFP and not made in China... Not that they can't make good scopes, I have a couple PA Silver/Gold series scopes that I like, but I want Japanese, etc. for this build.

So umm: reticles.

Is it your intention to use the reticle to determine the range on targets of known size? Or just to aim and do holds?

I could tell you my favorite reticle. But that really doesn't matter to you.

You must decide what you need your reticle to do. Find a reticle that does that. Then study until you throughly understand it.

I'm of the less is more school of thought. But you need to realize that a lot of members telling you what reticle works best for them means jack shit to you because (1) they may be using features you will never understand or (2) you understand and desire features they do not.

I use a LRF for range. I have and (somewhat) know how to use a mil dot master. But the LRF is faster and more reliable for me.

Reactions: iOdysseus and muad
So umm: reticles.

Is it your intention to use the reticle to determine the range on targets of known size? Or just to aim and do holds?

I could tell you my favorite reticle. But that really doesn't matter to you.

You must decide what you need your reticle to do. Find a reticle that does that. Then study until you throughly understand it.

I'm of the less is more school of thought. But you need to realize that a lot of members telling you what reticle works best for them means jack shit to you because (1) they may be using features you will never understand or (2) you understand and desire features they do not.

Yes, mostly for aiming and hold overs, but I want FFP and MIL/MRAD so I can at some point start to dabble in ranging targets based off the reticle, etc. That said, I always have a 1300 yard range finder in my pack.

Mildot Master https://a.co/d/2kZr1Hb

You could order a mil dot master download different reticles from a eurooptic.com then start doing homework.

If a 66% ipsc target subtends .7 mil how far is it? If this turns out to be something you're good at then is can be a big advantage in matches and perhaps I SHTF scenario.

One of the reasons real snipers range with reticles is that their is no emission togive away their location to a peer adversary.

While it's fun to play with its for me its not something I need.

Reactions: muad
Mil-Dot? I can't get on board with that new technology. Just too busy. Can't see my splash.

Just kidding 🤣 Modern reticles are busy the same way sniper math is confusing at first or when your hands hurt after the first few 500-1000rd range days with a pistol.

You can blow me off as irreverent and sarcastic but I am well intentioned in the advice to not invest in 1982 technology. At least try an SCR, APRS3, EBR1C, or something with mensuration that doesn't require trying to divide dots into 1/4's in a 10X scope, lol.

Mil-Dot? I can't get on board with that new technology. Just too busy. Can't see my splash.

Just kidding 🤣 Modern reticles are busy the same way sniper math is confusing at first or when your hands hurt after the first few 500-1000rd range days with a pistol.

You can blow me off as irreverent and sarcastic but I am well intentioned in the advice to not invest in 1982 technology. At least try an SCR, APRS3, EBR1C, or something with mensuration that doesn't require trying to divide dots into 1/4's in a 10X scope, lol.

No, LoL, I appreciate all your input. Hey, 1982 was a great year... That's when I was born, LMAO.

I have a PA GLx4 2.5-10x44 FFP with one of the more busy ACSS reticles, and at higher magnifications the reticle is obstructive to me. For a hunting rig I just feel it's too busy for me.

My old Bushnell has the ancient Mil-Dot reticle, and it's been great for hunting woodchucks, prairie dogs, etc.

I like @diverdon's idea on the Mildot Master and playing with different reticles.

Again, I appreciate all the input.

This is just me, but scopes looking busy is a learning curve thing. It's up there with your feet hurting when learning to ski bc you're not using your balance to steer, you're trying to influence the skis with your leg and feet muscles. It takes a little practice to use those reticles. I grew up hunting with duplex and German #4 post reticles. Learned Mil Dot reticles in the mil. Graduated to the H27, then H58 and H59. Now I exclusively use T3 reticles. I hunt with holdover reticles. It's like learning to shoot a red dot on a pistol and saying the fiber optic front sight post gets in the way of your sight picture. If you just pick up a pistol and look through the window you could definitely see where someone could say that. But in the act of shooting with both eyes open and focusing on the target and superimposing the dot in a periphery, out of focus plane type of way, you never notice the front sight post.

Reactions: mettee and muad
This is just me, but scopes looking busy is a learning curve thing. It's up there with your feet hurting when learning to ski bc you're not using your balance to steer, you're trying to influence the skis with your leg and feet muscles. It takes a little practice to use those reticles. I grew up hunting with duplex and German #4 post reticles. Learned Mil Dot reticles in the mil. Graduated to the H27, then H58 and H59. Now I exclusively use T3 reticles. I hunt with holdover reticles. It's like learning to shoot a red dot on a pistol and saying the fiber optic front sight post gets in the way of your sight picture. If you just pick up a pistol and look through the window you could definitely see where someone could say that. But in the act of shooting with both eyes open and focusing on the target and superimposing the dot in a periphery, out of focus plane type of way, you never notice the front sight post.

This makes sense.

Looks like I need to study all these reticle options. Thankfully I have time.

This makes sense.

Looks like I need to study all these reticle options. Thankfully I have time.
We had Jerry Barnhart come out and teach us some advanced pistol shooting...20 years ago? Lol...He had won the world USPSA a couple of years earlier shooting minor class. The biggest thing I learned from him was how to evolve and try new techniques. He was innovative and had a method for trying, adapting, discarding new techniques. Not all of them were worth keeping, some were. But you can never make that determination by trying it once or twice. A shooter is as fast(or as good) at whatever he normally practices. If you don't put the same level of investment and effort into a new technique, you will never know if it is truly inferior to the technique that you've currently mastered or if you're just sabotaging the new technique out of raw incompetence.

My biggest takeaway from training with a world class shooter. Maybe a bit of wisdom in there somewhere for you....

I’ve become a fan of the Christmas tree, but, if I wanted un-busy, I’d 5-20 SWFA Mil Quad (love my straight 6x), and bask in the sanctity of simplicity.
There’s no zero stop, but unless you’re shooting round balls over black powder, you’d never need it to 500 yards.
I can’t remember if those are of Philippino or South Korean heritage, but both are kinda close to Japan.

I'll suggest the Nightforce atacr as well, the mil-r is un-busy, but I would say to seriously look at the T3. Not dialing is faster than dialing, and the build in wind dots work well. My eye is quick to sort and the T3 reticle becomes very usable after you understand it. I'd say look at them through the glass as that will represent the reticle more accurately than a pdf(if possible).

I would say go 4-16, it's super bright, and would be at home on a 16" 308.

Reactions: tmertz and muad
I'm in the planning phases of building up a tOBR to be my precision hunting rig for 400+ yard varmint hunting, shooting steel, etc. Longest range in my area is 500 yards, and while I'd love to shoot 1000+ at some point, this rifle is not being built for that.

I'm currently looking at different scope options. I was thinking something like a 3.5-21x or similar would be sufficient for magnification; as I do want the ability to zoom in good to see whistle pigs at distance, or see small steel targets. That said, all of the reticle options these days are busy AF! I normally work up a dope card and then dial elevation, and use hold overs for windage. A simple Mil-Dot reticle works fine for this.

I have an older Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 on my Siete that has the Mil-Dot reticle, and I love it (that scope has been on various rifles over the years). I was hoping for a similar setup (Mil-Dot with .1 MIL turrets), just not quite the magnification.

Any input is appreciated. No budget is set yet as I have a couple things to pay off before I buy anything, but I'd say with mount (LaRue) and all I'd like to stay below $2500. Must be FFP and not made in China... Not that they can't make good scopes, I have a couple PA Silver/Gold series scopes that I like, but I want Japanese, etc. for this build.

I'll suggest the Nightforce atacr as well, the mil-r is un-busy, but I would say to seriously look at the T3. Not dialing is faster than dialing, and the build in wind dots work well. My eye is quick to sort and the T3 reticle becomes very usable after you understand it. I'd say look at them through the glass as that will represent the reticle more accurately than a pdf(if possible).

I would say go 4-16, it's super bright, and would be at home on a 16" 308.

Thanks for the input brother.

Awesome, I like it!

Looks like I'll have something to save up for.
Glad to help. I have a buddy who has that same scope I just recommended you, and he really loves it. I've spent a good bit of time behind it. It's a really nice scope for the price. And, the MIL-XT reticle is the best reticle NF offers, and it's not super-busy once you really zoom in. I think you'll enjoy it for your desired purposes. And if you ever decide to swap the scope on your AR10 to something else, the NX8 4-32x50 would be just at home on a bolt-action precision rifle.

I have an ATACR F1 5-25x56 MIL-XT, and I really like the scope and reticle.

IMG_9601.jpeg
IMG_9605.jpeg
IMG_9335.jpegIMG_9339.jpegIMG_9340.jpeg

Glad to help. I have a buddy who has that same scope I just recommended you, and he really loves it. I've spent a good bit of time behind it. It's a really nice scope for the price. And, the MIL-XT reticle is the best reticle NF offers, and it's not super-busy once you really zoom in. I think you'll enjoy it for your desired purposes. And if you ever decide to swap the scope on your AR10 to something else, the NX8 4-32x50 would be just at home on a bolt-action precision rifle.

I have an ATACR F1 5-25x56 MIL-XT, and I really like the scope and reticle.

View attachment 8353325View attachment 8353326View attachment 8353327View attachment 8353328View attachment 8353329

I have a LaRue Siete as well, which is currently wearing an older Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50. I may need to upgrade that, too, and move the Bushnell back to my 20" .223 AR...

This thread is going to cost me a lot of $$$. LOL

Reactions: FuhQ
I sold my DMR 2 only because it wasn't illuminated.

I think something of that flavor works really good on a ar. It's not too big, but it will take the rifle out there.

I'd recommend something of that magnification. I think the scopes alittle chunky, but I also don't think I'd ever break it.

Reactions: Uhlan and muad
SWFA 3-9 mil quad (although can’t hardly find them), bushnell elite LRHS2 G2H 4.5 -18 and elite DMR3 G4P 3.5-21 are and would be my choices for the 500yd range though and simplicity - the Swfa 3-9

SWFA 3-9 mil quad (although can’t hardly find them), bushnell elite LRHS2 G2H 4.5 -18 and elite DMR3 G4P 3.5-21 are and would be my choices for the 500yd range though and simplicity - the Swfa 3-9

Thanks for the feedback. I'm most likely going to snag a Primary Arms GLx 4.5-27x56 FFP or a Nightforce model with similar mag. Main reason for higher mags is woodchuck or predator hunting at those longer distances - the extra magnification is huge for helping produce ethical kills on smaller animals.