• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seeking spr scope advice/opinions

Mazadi413

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2022
Texas
Hello all, and thank you for any advice and opinions provided in advance. I am in a dilemma of sorts. I currently have an spr build that I am looking to change some things on.

First, a little about the basic rifle setup…rifle has a MK12/SPR barrel from WOA with a Bushnell LRTS 3-12x44(G3 Reticle) on it which is FFP. Last time I was out shooting I realized that at lower magnification like under 6-8ish power I felt the reticle was more or less unusable(seemed too cluttered) for hold overs. Secondly for the specs I feel like its a little chunky. I was debating on removing it for an NXS 2-10x42 as looking at the specs it seems to fit the bill, however I’m concerned the magnification is not enough out to 600 or so yards which will be the max I want to take it out to regularly for shooting steel, Ideally I would like to get to a point where 8-12inch plates at that distance are of no problem. I keep getting hung up on SFP vs FFP so I ended up looking at the 4-16x42 ATACR F1 with the MIL-C reticle. I know the 4-16 is a tad heavier but willing to trade off for the extra magnification and was curious if I would have the same issue with the FFP reticle considering the glass quality is supposed to be better and the reticle seems less cluttered. I also thought that maybe the 2-10 would look better since inherently since NF has better quality glass and figured the 4-16 would as well. I guess what I am asking is should I just ditch the FFP mindset on this type of rifle and spend more time behind it to learn the hold overs on a SFP scope or get the ATACR and give it another shot?

Lastly, I was also debating on going to a 16 inch barrel for no other reason than a smaller overall package and wondering with a 16 inch barrel would a 16 power be too much anyways.

If yall made it this far and aren’t super confused I appreciate yall taking the time and look forward to hearing the opinion of much more experienced shooters. Hopefully what im trying to ask makes sense.

Also…i just realized this is in the wrong sub-forum, how do i go about getting it move to the correct one?

Last edited:
In my experience when I'm using the lower end of the magnification range I'm using it to scan and engage close targets. That being said, I'm not using pure hold overs like I am on higher power settings. I'm either using something lime modified max point blank or dialing for the closest target and using a dead, 1/4, or 1/2 hold that doesn't need specific hold points on the reticle. This will work for some occasions and others will require a higher mag and deliberate actions when transitioning.

As far as scope selection goes I've used all three and all three are good for the purpose. There’s different opinions on the ideal magnification range for a SPR and it ranges from LPVO to 10X and on up to 16-18X but in my experience I want at least 2X the magnification of the distance that I’m shooting. If I’m shooting out 600, I want at least 12X. 10X will certainly work but the reason I want more mag is that on a golf course range with high contrast targets and dirt behind them you can certainly get by with 10X or even a 1-6. However, throw in tall grass, shadows, and/or wet conditions and now suddenly you’re not seeing anything because the bullet isn’t giving off any splash and higher mag helps there. If I had my choice I'd always opt for the FFP option as well because I can run it at 10X, 8X, whatever and it’ll always be good to go, the magnification is there if I need it. The 4-16 ATACR is a great choice, that's what I have on my SPR currently and wouldn't trade it for much else at this point. I’m running the older Mil-R reticle and it’s effective down to 6X.

A good 16" barrel will hang with an 18" one and the same caliber, slinging the same ammo, out to 600 yards pretty easy. I have rifles with both barrel lengths and there’s only about 70 fps difference between mine and at 600 yards it's only a .3 or .4 mil elevation difference and the wind holds are pretty close too. Really the only reason I still have the 18" one is that it shoots so damn good and I don’t feel like separating stuff out.

Last edited:
In my experience when I'm using the lower end of the magnification range I'm using it to scan and engage close targets. That being said, I'm not using pure hold overs like I am on higher power settings. I'm either using something lime modified max point blank or dialing for the closest target and using a dead, 1/4, or 1/2 hold that doesn't need specific hold points on the reticle. This will work for some occasions and others will require a higher mag and deliberate actions when transitioning.

As far as scope selection goes I've used all three and all three are good for the purpose. There’s different opinions on the ideal magnification range for a SPR and it ranges from LPVO to 10X and on up to 16-18X but in my experience I want at least 2X the magnification of the distance that I’m shooting. If I’m shooting out 600, I want at least 12X. 10X will certainly work but the reason I want more mag is that on a golf course range with high contrast targets and dirt behind them you can certainly get by with 10X or even a 1-6. However, throw in tall grass, shadows, and/or wet conditions and now suddenly you’re not seeing anything because the bullet isn’t giving off any splash and higher mag helps there. If I had my choice I'd always opt for the FFP option as well because I can run it at 10X, 8X, whatever and it’ll always be good to go, the magnification is there if I need it. The 4-16 ATACR is a great choice, that's what I have on my SPR currently and wouldn't trade it for much else at this point. I’m running the older Mil-R reticle and it’s effective down to 6X.

A good 16" barrel will hang with an 18" one and the same caliber, slinging the same ammo, out to 600 yards pretty easy. I have rifles with both barrel lengths and there’s only about 70 fps difference between mine and at 600 yards it's only a .3 or .4 mil elevation difference and the wind holds are pretty close too. Really the only reason I still have the 18" one is that it shoots so damn good and I don’t feel like separating stuff out.
In your honest opinion if you were in my shoes would you just rock the set up as is and build more skill before jumping to higher end optics/barrel? Save the money and spend it on ammo and range time type of mindset? I certaintly dd not have a lot of time behind scoped rifles by any means and I am starting to wonder if it is just a time thing and maybe the more time I spend behind the rifle the better it will get?

I'd keep things as they are and shoot the hell out of it first before making changes. Put that money into good match ammo and work on building your skill sets, maybe take a class or shoot a match.

Jim's Goon Life and Ridgeline Defense have some good vids on YT regarding scoped carbines that I think are worth checking out.

Yeah I have been looking at those. I appreciate your input and advice and appreciate you taking the time answering my questions.

I would say run it longer and see. We all switch things up to find what fits us and when you have a choice you will find something you like better than what the next guy does. Don’t worry to much about not being able to see your hold on 6x though. It would be nice yes, but within 300 yards you aren’t using holds anyhow unless purely for target shooting and in that case in any situation you are needing to hit something small and precise you will be turning your magnification up for it. Past 300 you will (I would) most likely be getting into your higher magnification where you can see it better.
Saying that on a 16” spr build I have I did just switch from a 3-15 FFP to a 2-10 SFP after a lot of thought and I will say I really like the setup now and happy with it. I wanted a useable reticle on low mag IF my illumination failed so I wanted the SFP since next to no one makes a great low power FFP reticle like some lpvo’s have yet. It’s absolutely no problem with a good reticle and glass shooting nice groups at 500-600 yards with a 10x. I shoot it out to 850 (far as my range allows) and while the 15x was a little more nice there the 10x is still plenty adequate other than seeing splash like already mentioned.

Last edited:
I like the NXS 2.5-10x42 a lot and am contemplating a second one but being SFP you're basically limited to 5x and 10x for holds and at 5x you have to remember to double everything which is less than ideal. Mine is on a 223 and it's plenty of magnification for 600 yards and further. I just don't think it's going to get you anywhere compared to your LRTS.

If you want a little easier to pick up reticle maybe try to find an LRHS or find someone with one to trade, neither of which are easy due to the rarity, but that reticle is a little thicker and easier to pick up at lower magnification.

I had a few 4-16x42 ATACR's as well and you will be in the same boat with those too, you'll be at 6-8x to be able to use the reticle subtensions well. It's a great SPR optic too though.

Any FFP is going to be difficult to use the reticle subtensions at minimum power. Personally I've never needed them at low mag or seen the use for anything other than the main crosshairs down low. Simply put if you're at a distance where you need to use holds you're at a distance where running more magnification to see the reticle isn't an issue.

Personally I'd just keep the LRTS but I get the desire to change things up.

Thanks for the input gentleman, i will probably just stick with my setup, maybe change a few little things on the rifle and just run it for now. Maybe it’s a simple comfort zone thing since im new to the platform.

Reactions: Bluedog82
I have an NXS 2.5-10x32 on an ultralight hunting 6 creed, no issue hitting plates out to 650yds if you’re worried about 10x not being enough.

Reactions: Mazadi413
I have changed the optics plan on my mk12 mod 0 and mod 1. I ran clone style with the leupold ts30s for a lot of years, the 3-9x36 with illum milldot.
I used those rifles a lot in this configuration, many years and I never really missed higher magnification. it was on the lower end I always thought was a problem. so I wised up and since these rifles gets used hunting coyotes regularly, and I really hate the leupold eye box, I dumped them for us optics MR10 1.8-10x37.

what a huge upgrade.

I do appreciate the 10 power more than the 9x and haven't really found 10x to be a problem spotting coyotes at distance in low light situations. on the other side, I really love the 1.8x for surprise encounters.

I prolly should just spring for a red dot for that shit, but these rifles are heavy enough already

anywhoo, all that BS being said, IMO its not a bad thing to have extra top end magnification on hand, you dont have to use it. like the old saying "its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".

edit* sorry I misread and thought you were building a MK12 mod whatever type rifle

Last edited:
The little 2.5-10 NSX’s are nice on 16” semis. Not nice enough to ditch what you have and buy one though.

I have changed the optics plan on my mk12 mod 0 and mod 1. I ran clone style with the leupold ts30s for a lot of years, the 3-9x36 with illum milldot.
I used those rifles a lot in this configuration, many years and I never really missed higher magnification. it was on the lower end I always thought was a problem. so I wised up and since these rifles gets used hunting coyotes regularly, and I really hate the leupold eye box, I dumped them for us optics MR10 1.8-10x37.

what a huge upgrade.

I do appreciate the 10 power more than the 9x and haven't really found 10x to be a problem spotting coyotes at distance in low light situations. on the other side, I really love the 1.8x for surprise encounters.

I prolly should just spring for a red dot for that shit, but these rifles are heavy enough already

anywhoo, all that BS being said, IMO its not a bad thing to have extra top end magnification on hand, you dont have to use it. like the old saying "its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".

edit* sorry I misread and thought you were building a MK12 mod whatever type rifle
I’m thinking an offset red dot or 12 o clock is all im going to add to this and possibly swap out the scope mount on it for a badger or scalarworks

Reactions: FredHammer