• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seeking suggestions for first scope for a Ruger Mini 14

kellyfj

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2022
Boston, MA
No flames please about the Mini 14 - I am just getting started. No expectations for accuracy out beyond 200-300 yards. :)

I have the Ruger Mini 14 with the Pic rail and scope rings and looking for suggestions for a scope to get started at 100 yards and hoping for higher.
This is the one https://www.ruger.com/products/mini14TacticalRifle/specSheets/5847.html

Just looking to get within a 2-3 inches of the bullseye at 100 yards (not sure what that is in MOA).
Budget < $200 - again first time out so not looking to break the bank
or have my wife notice the money gone ha ha!

-Frank

Hey Frank!

Hello hiders Frank is a friend of mine met fighting all this stupid COVID stuff.

I have already let him know that the prevailing feeling here is that the fall of ejected Mini14 brass typically groups tighter than the bullets fired.

That said his 4 MOA minus expectations are actually realistic compared to the Mini owner that wants to be 1MOA “all day long”.

I suggested to Frank a red dot is a good option for this sort of truck gun/emergency carbine.

They tend to lack any magnification though and with age mag helps.

The other thought would be ACOG but they are cost prohibitive and if eyes are an issue lack of ocular adjustment means you will need your glasses.

I’m thinking @cameraland might have an affordable optic for Frank to mount on his Mini.

I never recommend “Made in China” but in this case maybe.

Perhaps someone has something lightly used to suggest.

Frank what do you have on your rifle to mount the optic?

Do you have a rail or means to accept the mount?

I note the Ruger site you link to lists many options for attachment rails. You may need to decide if you want a long eye relief “Scout” set up with the optic forward of the receiver or a mount over the ejection port which may bring other issues.

To anyone that suggests “Get an AR!” - not happening in MA.

Reactions: Emerson0311
Hey Frank. Welcome.

Some ideas: Burris Droptine, Crimson Trace Brushline, Baroska brand, Athlon brand.

Go to any big online shooting retailers and search for these, sort by price and see what strikes your fancy. Based on your platform any of the above brands will work and keep your marriage together IMO.

I don’t think a Nikon would be a bad idea at all.

Hey Frank!

Hello hiders Frank is a friend of mine met fighting all this stupid COVID stuff.

I have already let him know that the prevailing feeling here is that the fall of ejected Mini14 brass typically groups tighter than the bullets fired.

That said his 4 MOA minus expectations are actually realistic compared to the Mini owner that wants to be 1MOA “all day long”.

I suggested to Frank a red dot is a good option for this sort of truck gun/emergency carbine.

They tend to lack any magnification though and with age mag helps.

The other thought would be ACOG but they are cost prohibitive and if eyes are an issue lack of ocular adjustment means you will need your glasses.

I’m thinking @cameraland might have an affordable optic for Frank to mount on his Mini.

I never recommend “Made in China” but in this case maybe.

Perhaps someone has something lightly used to suggest.

Frank what do you have on your rifle to mount the optic?

Do you have a rail or means to accept the mount?

I note the Ruger site you link to lists many options for attachment rails. You may need to decide if you want a long eye relief “Scout” set up with the optic forward of the receiver or a mount over the ejection port which may bring other issues.

To anyone that suggests “Get an AR!” - not happening in MA.
A Vortex Crossfire 1-4 with an illuminated Center dot really works well for me in a similar application.

Reactions: Speed
StrikeEsgle may not even be a bad choice.

There are probably bunches unsold in the PX in new condition.

Reactions: BLEE
I have a Leupold 2X7 power on my mini 14. When I originally purchased the rifle I bought a run of the mill Bushnell scope and I blew the crosshairs out of the scope with the first magazine I fired through the mini.

I am probably the only person that actually likes the mini 14. I kill the snot out of stuff with the rifle.

a few from the PX that may work for your rifle.

Ebay - Old Weaver K4, bonus if you can find one with the post reticle. If you are going to go cheap at least go vintage. It might as well look like it belongs on a mini garand.

D8C76202-EC0F-4156-8776-9F07FBD34109.jpeg

If it’s an older wood stocked Mini might look for a used Leupold M8 fixed 4x in gloss finish. I’ve seen them go for $150-$200. Doesn’t take much to overscope the petite Mini….

ETA: ….or Leupold 2x7 like previous poster mentioned.

I keep a couple SWFA 1-4x24mm scopes sitting in the safe for moments like this:

It shows a price of $399 and is out of stock at the moment, but I bought mine for less than $300 during one of SWFA's frequent sales a few years back.

The various other LPVO options listed in this thread are also valid. Depending upon how well your eyes work, a simple compact red dot might also do the trick, and is considerably smaller and lighter than even the sleekest scope.

I had a friend put an SWFA 10X Super Sniper on his .308 R.E.M. 700 and he loves it.

The scopes in this price range, make sure you get something with a good milling reticle, not plain stadia.

In addition to your clearer view of target you will pick up the useful skill of learning to use the reticle.

I would suspect the adjustments on the scope.

With a reticle you can get your 100 yard zero than hold for other shots and never mess with adjusting anything on the turrets.

If the reticle itself isn't holding zero that is something you can check with your first 100 yard shot.

Agree with a vintage K series. I have a few of them scattered around and they are solid scopes. Fits the era of gun and still functional for what OP wants.

Pretty good option. I also like my RT6 so the one in the PX definitely gets a nod.