• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seekins, Daniel Defense, Sig for an AR10?

Rolltide

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2003
East Tennessee
www.rimfiretactical.com
I'm looking to add an AR10 to the family and am looking for input from those in the know. I've heard great things about the Seekins SP10 and also the Daniel Defense. I had someone recommend the Sig as well. The rifle will primarily be a range toy with plans to shoot out to 600 or so. I'm considering .308 mainly because I've never owned an AR10 and I associate that caliber with the rifle.

I've been able to pick up the Seekins and Daniel Defense at Cabela's, but that's the only comparison. I'm looking for input from those who own them or who have shot them. I want accuracy and reliability. I remember Frank talking about the Seekins on the podcast, but I'm not sure that the SP10 Cabela's has is the same as is offered elsewhere.

Money wise, Cabela's has the Seekins on clearance at $1850, while the DD is at MAP pricing.

I'm open to others as well, but looking to keep the budget around $2500...otherwise, I'd just go JP.

I currently own both, with the exception of my Seekins SP10 being chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. The Seekins is a super accurate rifle for sure, and it’s in basically factory configuration. My DD5 is tweeted a bit, if you call it that. (Changed out the buttstock, pistol grip, etc.) Both are super awesome rifles, and I really don’t think you can go wrong with either one. I shoot both suppressed 100% of the time, and I will admit, my DD5 seems a bit more reliable shooting suppressed. But the SP10, perhaps because of the caliber choice, is definitely superior in the accuracy department for sure. But truly it’s a toss up. Both are fantastic options. I doubt that helps much, but hey, at least some insight. Lol!

I currently own both, with the exception of my Seekins SP10 being chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. The Seekins is a super accurate rifle for sure, and it’s in basically factory configuration. My DD5 is tweeted a bit, if you call it that. (Changed out the buttstock, pistol grip, etc.) Both are super awesome rifles, and I really don’t think you can go wrong with either one. I shoot both suppressed 100% of the time, and I will admit, my DD5 seems a bit more reliable shooting suppressed. But the SP10, perhaps because of the caliber choice, is definitely superior in the accuracy department for sure. But truly it’s a toss up. Both are fantastic options. I doubt that helps much, but hey, at least some insight. Lol!

Reactions: Rolltide
Are you interested in leaving the rifle as-is, or would you like to modify it in the future?

I don’t have a DD5M5, and I have an SP-10 I haven’t had a chance to shoot, so this is more to throw out for people with hands-on experience. I thought that the DD bolt carrier, or some other key part, was to a different spec than the typical DPMS or Armalite setups, so that the DDM5 was better left as-is. None of it’s going to be plug-and-play like an AR-15. I’m sure someone on here with experience can speak to that aspect.

Otherwise, have you had a chance to look at both in person, and did one feel better to you than the other? When I was looking, I thought the DDM5 felt a little more front heavy and the SP-10 felt more balanced.

The Seekins SP10 that is currently carried by Cabela's is not the latest Seekins model. The major differences are different butt stock and trigger.

I don't own either, but what application will it be used for most? For accuracy the Seekins would win. For a battle rifle the DD wins out.

You could also probably find a used LMT MWS in your price range which would be my choice. Easy barrel/caliber swaps for precision or hard use and very reliable

I own the DD5v1 (16” barrel) chambered in .308. With handloads shot 1/4” groups at 100yds. I have a 6-24x50 optic ontop, the rifle is awesome, never had a relaiability issue with it, plus the grey finish looks awesome. Did change out the buttstock with the Magpul UBR and added a Area419 ARCA rail.

Seekins!

B9088422-2D53-4690-A046-EB5703B13B0A.jpeg

Reactions: deersniper
1/4" groups hmm lol ok

Maybe 1 3 shot group now and then. Sure as shit not consistent 1/4moa

Saying things like that gives new or uninformed shooters a distorted expectation of accuracy.
This. It gets so old seeing these types posts, so I always ask, "does it shoot '×' MOA or can it?" Does infers consistency, while can infers the rifle is occasionally capable when stars align. Very rarely is the answer 'does'.

1/4" groups hmm lol ok

Maybe 1 3 shot group now and then. Sure as shit not consistent 1/4moa

Saying things like that gives new or uninformed shooters a distorted expectation of accuracy.
This. It gets so old seeing these types posts, so I always ask, "does it shoot '×' MOA or can it?" Does infers consistency, while can infers the rifle is occasionally capable when stars align. Very rarely is the answer 'does'.

I personally just ignore these assertions but deersniper is exactly correct calling it out and adding why he's calling it out with the simple yet dead nuts on reasoning.

Hell-1/4 moa is basically the same hole lol. I recently shot a 1/4" group while sighting in a new scope at 25yds-something I'd never done before. My dumb ass took an iphone pic of it :D

While we're derailing this thread. Here's my 1/10 moa gap 308. I shot this group during initial sight in. It's a .1" rifle lol
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reactions: The DFC
There's. LMT for sale here that is a great deal comes with a 65 barrel. It would be mine if I shot the semi 308s I already have. Don't need another expensive dust collector.

Reactions: Potss
I agree with others here who have steered you towards the LMT, but of those you listed, Daniel Defense.

Of the rifles you listed I'd go with seekins. From what I've researched on them I really like the way the upper is designed. I had a sig 716, an early one. Probably one of the first gen rifles. In stock form it was a 1 moa rifle. I put a JE Custom assassin brake on it and the sucker shot lights out. Shot better than my 700 LTR. At 100 yards it was boring to shoot. You could shoot your group then punch out the thumb tacks I was using to hold my targets. Then I decided I wanted to contour the back of the brake to the barrel. Bad idea. It went nuts. Instantly it went to a 2 moa gun. So I had my smith do me another brake just like the original and still never got it back like it was. We never did solve that mystery. There's not much you can do with the dogs in the aftermarket either so I unloaded the rifle and went to a POF since I wanted to stay piston. That gun was junk. It had it's good days and bad days but it would never stay consistent so bye bye POF. Then I found myself with a pws mk216 and I've been happy ever since. It'll shoot 3/4-1 moa everyday with factory GMM 168's. Just started loading for it and it's showing real promise but work has prevented me from fine tuning here lately. Here's a pic of the best of five for the day. First round is the high one last shot is on the left 2,3,4 all piled up together. First round is always 1 moa high with the omega on it. Doesn't do it without the can. 200 yards prone off my range bag. Sorry for the long post. I have a tendency to be a little long winded.

Attachments

• 20170108_185952.jpg
    20170108_185952.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 101
Sigs not dogs. Auto correct got me. Proof read proof read.