• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seekins element, deciding to wait for 7prc or just get 300 win mag?

Wait for 7prc or get 300wm?

• 300wm

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • 7prc

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters

Montany_Logger

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2022
Missoula, MT
So I know I'm going to buy a havok element soon. I currently have a PH2 in 6.5 PRC and I love it. I don't handload yet, but I'm really considering it. I happen to have about 300 rounds of high quality factory ammunition for 300wm in my safe from a rifle I had and sold. One of my big concerns is that since COVID 30-06 has become nearly non existent on the shelves and I'm sort of wondering if that isn't in the near future for several of the win mag cartridges. Given that the barrel length of the Element will be 22 inches whichever cartridge I go with which one would you choose and why? I hunt elk, bear, deer, and antelope in Montana.

Your 6.5prc and a 7prc kind of live in the same space. I’d go for a .30 but in the form of .300 prc. The win mag will have a sammi spec chamber that will leave you wanting when shooting heavies.

Your 6.5prc and a 7prc kind of live in the same space. I’d go for a .30 but in the form of .300 prc. The win mag will have a sammi spec chamber that will leave you wanting when shooting heavies.
I was going to post 300 PRC also.

I'm pretty sold on the on paper performance of the 7. Time will tell. The only reason I was considering the win mag is the current availability of the rifle and the fact that I have a few hundred rounds already

Reactions: lash
I will more than likely end up with all three PRC cartridges eventually. Probably not in the element though. I will most likely get a slightly heavier platform for that.

I'm pretty sold on the on paper performance of the 7. Time will tell. The only reason I was considering the win mag is the current availability of the rifle and the fact that I have a few hundred rounds already
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with feeding a want. I m building a 7prc at the moment for that very reason.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with feeding a want. I m building a 7prc at the moment for that very reason.
As soon as brass is available, I’ll be doing the same. What are you building it on?

Tikka, Element 4.0 magnesium, proof carbon, and a XTR3i 3-18. I have everything but the barrel, it should be here by the end of May.
About a week after I got the Tikka action ARC released the CDG😑

About a week after I got the Tikka action ARC released the CDG😑
The Tikka is tried and trued. The CDG is not although I’m sure it will be fine. I think it’s funny that guys were recommending them before they were even offered for sale. :ROFLMAO: A few have them now so we will see.

Reactions: Hondo1
The Tikka is tried and trued. The CDG is not although I’m sure it will be fine. I think it’s funny that guys were recommending them before they were even offered for sale. :ROFLMAO: A few have them now so we will see.
I have a Mausingfield and an Archimedes, love them both. I’m sure I’d feel the same about the CDG. Nothing wrong with the Tikka thought, it’s actually the perfect size for the 7prc

If you’re going to keep this rifle in factory form and only shoot factory ammo; 7 PRC

If you plan on reloading and can get the barrel throat cut back a tiny bit; 300 WM

As soon as brass is available, I’ll be doing the same. What are you building it on?

That's my plan, with a Tikka that's currently a 300 WSM. On the brass front, I emailed Petersen, Starline and ADG about 7mm PRC brass.

Petersen responded and said they they had just completed their first small Alpha run of brass and It went well, so the first full batch is scheduled for Q3 release.

ADG responded and said they are planning to ship a batch to dealers in Q4, gave me a list of their dealers and suggested that I get on some wait lists.

That's my plan, with a Tikka that's currently a 300 WSM. On the brass front, I emailed Petersen, Starline and ADG about 7mm PRC brass.

Petersen responded and said they they had just completed their first small Alpha run of brass and It went well, so the first full batch is scheduled for Q3 release.

ADG responded and said they are planning to ship a batch to dealers in Q4, gave me a list of their dealers and suggested that I get on some wait lists.

I predict everyone will quickly jump on making brass for the 7 PRC. I think that a year from now there will be plenty of choices.

Well, I went ahead and pre-ordered the 7prc element in desert shadow today. I don't think I would have been disappointed either way. I found out I can get 40% off on Bergara so I think I will order a premier divide in 300 win when my wallet recovers. Just hang on to the factory ammo I have.

Reactions: mj1995 and Hondo1
This may be a totally different topic but does anyone have experience with the Bergaras throat length to accommodate for hand loads? My kids are getting old enough and my business established enough that I will have time to start handloading

This may be a totally different topic but does anyone have experience with the Bergaras throat length to accommodate for hand loads? My kids are getting old enough and my business established enough that I will have time to start handloading
That is a totally different topic so why post it here.

I'm surprised that you can't find 30-06. That and the 308 Win have been the easiest cartridges to get during and since covid in my area. 6.5 PRC is tough for us to get and 7 PRC is non existent here. 300 WM is on the shelves too. Not the best bullet weight choices, but we have some 180gr-200gr so not bad. I'd still go for the 300 WM in a 22" since you have ammo. Seekins looks like they opened up mag length so you can seat out to 3.9" with it. If the throat is too short then a reamer can fix that. I don't favor shorter barrels on magnums. but if you plan to run a can I can see the sense of it.

Well, I went ahead and pre-ordered the 7prc element in desert shadow today. I don't think I would have been disappointed either way. I found out I can get 40% off on Bergara so I think I will order a premier divide in 300 win when my wallet recovers. Just hang on to the factory ammo I have.
I’m more intrigued with this 40 percent discount…. How does a guy get that?