• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Seekins Rings, Bushnell LRHS, question - Uneven scope rings

honeybadger65

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Hello all,

This was my first time installing a scope/base/rings and had a questions on what is/isnt normal.

I have a Rem 700 w/Seekins base, low rings, and a Bushnell LRHS.

The base did not need bedding. When I put the scope on the rings (without the scope ring tops) the scope fits pretty tight. The best way I can describe it is that the scope "pops" into place when I place it on the rings. It wants to stay in place pretty good and does not move freely or want to rotate much. As this is my FIRST experience installing a scope ever is that normal?

When installing the ring tops, There is a uneven gap between the bottom half of the ring and the top half of the ring.. One ring looks like there is a wider gap than the other ring. Is that normal? I installed them a few times making sure to put even torque on all rings, screwing in each screw little by little, but it happens every time.

In the below photo, its hard to see but the left ring has a wider gap than the other.
Gkj0476.jpg

Thanks!

-HB65

Last edited:
I'm not sure if there is the same gap on the opposite side.

Are the ring tops not interchangeable? There is a goooood chance I mixed them up if they are not interchangeable.

My problem is that the game is not the same on each ring. One ring has a much smaller gap than the other. Should the gaps be the same on both rings?

Last edited:
I really believe that you are over-thinking this. Firstly, I cannot see the difference you mention in that pic. Secondly, do the rings function correctly? By that I mean, do they hold the scope securely in the correct position without allowing the scope to move in any manner? Are they stressing the scope in an odd way when properly torqued (I'd guess that is a "no")?

The picture sucks but thats all I have. There is for sure a gap between the rings, and it is noticable, just not in the picture.

I just want to find out if its normal to have a difference or not.

Tighten all screws evenly to specified settings......the gap on each side of the rings should be equal/even.

The rings should just barely fit. Make sure the rifle is level and make sure the scope is level and set prior to screwing the upper ring halves together. Go in an alternating "star like" pattern. You only need to torque them to something like 12-15 INCH #. Make sure that they have the same amount of gap on both sides on both rings.

You, the installer, dictate whether the gap on either side of the ring is equal. You can either do this by eye when tightening the top half of the ring down or if you want to be completely anal you can use fine feeler gauges to check gap before final torque is applied. You are talking about side to side gap correct? I just wanted to make sure I didn't misread.

Just make sure side to side gap is the same. As far as comparing the gaps between the front and rear rings, I have seen this several times where there is a larger gap on the rear ring compared to the fronts. Seen this several times with various rings and scope brands. Either the tube is larger in the back, or doesn't compress as much. Not sure the science behind it, but it is what it is. Don't sweat it.

Are the rings 4X4 or 6X4? Seekins makes both and that might be the difference.

Hello all,

This was my first time installing a scope/base/rings and had a questions on what is/isnt normal.

I have a Rem 700 w/Seekins base, low rings, and a Bushnell LRHS.

The base did not need bedding. When I put the scope on the rings (without the scope ring tops) the scope fits pretty tight. The best way I can describe it is that the scope "pops" into place when I place it on the rings. It wants to stay in place pretty good and does not move freely or want to rotate much. As this is my FIRST experience installing a scope ever is that normal?

When installing the ring tops, There is a uneven gap between the bottom half of the ring and the top half of the ring.. One ring looks like there is a wider gap than the other ring. Is that normal? I installed them a few times making sure to put even torque on all rings, screwing in each screw little by little, but it happens every time.

In the below photo, its hard to see but the left ring has a wider gap than the other.
View attachment 42839

Thanks!

-HB65

Wouldn't hurt to throw a set of alignment rods in the rings and tighten the caps and see what that tells you. If they are close, some minor lapping with a lapping bar would get things to line up. If the alignment rods are out significantly, something else is amiss.

John