• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Seekins Rings Mounting Torque

mclevela

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2007
Moorcroft, Wyoming
I recently purchased a set of Seeking 30mm scope rings. I received no torque specs. Looking for advice as to what to torque for mounting and the the rings.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Seekins Rings Mounting Torque

From their site

Q: How do you install a base and what Torque specs do you recommend base screws?
A: To install the base make sure all contacting surfaces are clean and free of burrs. Sometimes receivers will have a burr around the screw hole. If a burr is present remove it or your base won't fit down onto the action properly. Install the base by setting it on the action and pushing forward until the recoil lug solidly contacts the action. Tighten screws to 15 INCH lbs. holding onto the short end of an L shaped wrench while tightening will assure you won't over tighten the base.

Blue loctite can be used if you like. Instead of applying the loctite to the threads I have found that applying it around the screw head after the screws are installed works just as good. The loctite works its way down into the first few threads allowing easier removal in the future. Also apply a small amount of loctite on the surfaces that contact between the base and action. This will help keep out any moisture.
DO NOT USE RED LOCTITE ON ANY THREADS THAT YOU MAY WANT TO REMOVE IN THE FUTURE!

Thanks, I did see that on the seekins website. I will use that torque for the rings halves and mounting the rings to the base as well as I have not seen anything different.

For the rings.

15-25 inch pounds for the cap screws

55 inch pounds for the clamp screws

per Seekins site