• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seekins SP10 6.5 Creedmoor ejecting issues.

mikededman

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2022
Reno, NV
Hi all, I'm new to the semi auto world so of course I have a lot of questions. I am reloading Norma brass with 40.6 of H4350 running just under 2700 fps.
1. While decapping after 2nd firing, I notice I can't get some of the casings in the shell holder. There is a dimple on the base I guess is coming from the ejector pin. Anyway, the base looks deformed which doesn't seem normal.
2. I have a Superlative Arms gas system, Also, from what I'm told, an upgraded bolt system. My brass gets thrown out at 5:00-5:30 which no amount of adjusting affects. I've been in contact with Superlative and have come to the conclusion I might need a lighter spring?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Mike
1706197565153.png

1706198086027.png

Does this happen with store bought ammo??

What bullet are you reloading with?

The two most likely reasons for this to happen is your COAL is too long and you're jamming your reloads and causing a spike in pressure or your load is simply too hot.

Make sure your COAL is at 2.800, if that doesn’t fix it back your load down and open up the gas so your ejection pattern is between 3-4 o'clock with the bolt locking to the rear.

The H2 Rifle buffer and flat wire spring are just fine.

Does this happen with store bought ammo??

What bullet are you reloading with?

The two most likely reasons for this to happen is your COAL is too long and you're jamming your reloads and causing a spike in pressure or your load is simply too hot.

Make sure your COAL is at 2.800, if that doesn’t fix it back your load down and open up the gas so your ejection pattern is between 3-4 o'clock with the bolt locking to the rear.

The H2 Rifle buffer and flat wire spring are just fine.
I weighed my buffer at 5.25 oz.
I’ve opened my gas up to full open according to Superlative. That’s where it’s at now.
COAL is at 2.850

I weighed my buffer at 5.25 oz.
I’ve opened my gas up to full open according to Superlative. That’s where it’s at now.
COAL is at 2.850

Is that the buffer that came with the SP10 from the factory?

Again what bullet are you loading?

And do you see these same pressures signs with store bought ammo?

Back your COAL down to 2.800

Is that the buffer that came with the SP10 from the factory?

Again what bullet are you loading?

And do you see these same pressures signs with store bought ammo?

Back your COAL down to 2.800
Everything is factory except the bolt and barrel

Sorry about that, it’s the 144 gn Berger Hybrid

It throws the brass the same with factory ammo.

When you say pressure signs are you talking about the dimple?

I’m doing some load development so I’ll seat my bullets just above and just below 2.800 today.

It would also be good to see the cases with the fired primers in place.

Reactions: mikededman
I haven’t had factory ammo for a while. I didn’t notice it until I couldn’t slide some of the casings into the shell holder. This was from the last firing. These casings have been fired 3 times.

Were those cases fired in that rifle with the same barrel and bolt all 3 firings? How many rounds are on the barrel?

You should get a couple boxes of quality factory ammo and properly tune the gas system and see how it ejects and also what the brass looks like.

Why did you pull the Seekins barrel and bolt? If you were having this issue with their stuff they'd take care of it.

Just started. Doesn’t seem to be happening with my Alpha brass. A buddy said Norma is a softer brass. I don’t know if this is true.
I clean the barrel to where I’m happy with my bore scope.

There’s a good chance it just just the brass, Norma is soft.

I don’t think your ejection pattern is related, Proofs have pretty long gas systems and small ports and it’s typical for them to be gassed just right or even under gassed.

Your charge isn’t what I’d consider to be a hot load at all and shouldn’t be causing pressure and might be why you’re ejecting how you are. As long as it’s ejecting though I probably wouldn’t worry about it.

The ejector mark is either pressure or really soft brass though. Carbon buildup in the throat will do that but if you’re not seeing any with a bore scope then that shouldn’t be an issue.

I’d still run some quality ammo through it and tune the gas system to where it just locks the bolt back on an empty mag and then open it up one more click and see what that brass comes out like and where it ejects. Confirm there’s no issue there and then run your loads again and tune the gas port again if needed.

I would mess with buffers and springs as a last resort.

I appreciate the insight. Hah, I just went out to the garage and found some factory ammo (Norma Golden Target) that came with the gun. I’ll try it out today. Forgot I had it.
Already looking at the JP spring/buffer setup. It’s just money right?

My two loads are on the left and the factory one on the right. The Alpha and the factory are running a just under 2600 fps and the Norma is about 50 fps faster. The factory brass was thrown at 5:30 ish.
I already had these loaded for seating testing so I didn’t seat any at 2.800.
I’ll try a few tomorrow.
I will also set my gas tomorrow. So according to the Superlative chart I’m already under gassed but I’ll back it off until it won’t cycle or lock open and then go the other way until it works.

Attachments

• IMG_4533.jpeg
    IMG_4533.jpeg
    365.7 KB · Views: 14