• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seekins SP10 barrel question

oniak

Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2013
Oregon
I have an older Seekins SP10 with the rifle length gas system. It has a .750 gas block. I know the newer SP10s have a longer gas system now, +1.5 I think. Is the barrel contour still the same? Are there any commercial SP10s that utilize a thicker barrel and the .875 gas block? Or, is that just for the SP10M?

I emailed Seekins about replacing one of the old rifle gassed 6.5 barrels with one of the newer barrels or one from a M series. I asked if it was an option or if I needed to go aftermarket. They never replied and wouldn’t answer the phone so I replaced it with a 16” Criterion.

Everyone raves about their CS but so far I’m not impressed.

Last edited:
Believe they’re the same contour, only the M is heavier. They’ll make you a heavier barrel is you want it.

I emailed Seekins about replacing one of the old rifle gassed 6.5 barrels with one of the newer barrels or one from a M series. I asked if it was an option or if I needed to go aftermarket. They never replied and wouldn’t answer the phone so I replaced it with a 16” Criterion.

The last two months or better they’ve been gearing up and attending multiple trade shows and most of their CS staff has been at them and they’ve been hard to get ahold of. Now that SHOT is over they should be easier to get in touch with. They aren’t a huge company with a bunch of airheads on payroll just to answer the phones.

Reactions: bigjake83
I have an older Seekins SP10 with the rifle length gas system. It has a .750 gas block. I know the newer SP10s have a longer gas system now, +1.5 I think. Is the barrel contour still the same? Are there any commercial SP10s that utilize a thicker barrel and the .875 gas block? Or, is that just for the SP10M?

The New SP10 has the same barrel contour as the previous model but it's no longer fluted. The Gas Block Journal is still .750 but the shoulder is now 1.5" further forward increasing rigidity and by doing so decreasing the length of the barrel after it steps down to .740 from the gas block journal mitigating Possible Barrel whip.

Last edited:
Reactions: bfoosh006
Believe they’re the same contour, only the M is heavier. They’ll make you a heavier barrel is you want it.

The last two months or better they’ve been gearing up and attending multiple trade shows and most of their CS staff has been at them and they’ve been hard to get ahold of. Now that SHOT is over they should be easier to get in touch with. They aren’t a huge company with a bunch of airheads on payroll just to answer the phones.
Ok. So existing customers wait a few months because they’re busy trying to get new customers. Sounds like every other gun company.

There are plenty of small shops that answer phones and respond to emails, even when they’re busy.

I didn’t trash them. I only stated that I wasn’t impressed. When or if they ever respond, I’d still like to buy one of the newer barrels. I don’t want or expect a free upgrade.

Ok. So existing customers wait a few months because they’re busy trying to get new customers. Sounds like every other gun company.

There are plenty of small shops that answer phones and respond to emails, even when they’re busy.

I didn’t trash them. I only stated that I wasn’t impressed. When or if they ever respond, I’d still like to buy one of the newer barrels. I don’t want or expect a free upgrade.

I’ve got things I want to ask them too but I’m understanding and I’d rather just wait than to have some air heads answering the phone that couldn’t help me anyway. It’s hard to find capable employees.

Reactions: Jsp556
I have an SP10 (not 10M) with the heavy barrel profile and the extended gas system. The barrel is 0.85” at the muzzle and also at the muzzle end of the gas block. My gas block extends 1/2” beyond the handguard. I attached pics showing gas block extension. I also have the select adjustable gas block with the short lever. The barrel is a Rock Creek 5R stainless steel barrel, 22” long. I have never had better customer service from anyone and I’m 65 years old (meaning I have had many experiences with customer service). I don’t think they have a huge staff and I think their products are in high demand. It’s a nice problem to have for them. They will call you back in my experience but it may take 2 days. If no one called you back, that won’t meet their expectations. I attached a 3rd picture which is a screenshot of an SP10M gas block. The rifle is owned by Matty Nelson who is the marketing director for Seekins. It’s in a Utube video of him describing how the select adjustable gas block works. I can‘t tell how far forward the gas block extends past the handguard? So I don’t know if it’s the same as mine.

Attachments

• IMG_2671.jpeg
    IMG_2671.jpeg
    709.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2670.jpeg
    IMG_2670.jpeg
    352.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5240.png
    IMG_5240.png
    3 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I have a warranty issue and for the last 2 months have not had any luck getting them to return an email or answer a phone. Unfortunately probably my first and last Seekins I will ever buy.

mattman215, email Matty Nelson using: [email protected]. Tell him exactly what you said above. If he gets it someone will contact you. Alternatively text or call him at 801-360-6070. I know they don’t want customers feeling this way. I think it’s just an issue of busy time of year. I’m not making excuses and your experience wasn’t mine. I hope you get some resolution.

Reactions: mattman215
I was at their booth this week and they said they are only offering one barrel profile on the sp10. It’s the heavy profile from the M. They started doing this about a year ago.

Wow! That’s pretty nice. There are still some SP10s for sale with the non-heavy profile. I saw one at Sportsman’s Warehouse. I guess the ones already in inventory have not all sold out yet?

I don’t know what profile mine is but it’s a hammer nearly 1 hole groups with my 6creed. A couple quality control issues but a great rifle.

I just looked at Scheels website and the weight is 10.5 lbs which matches what’s on the Seekins website, along with a Timney trigger. The EuroOptics website shows a weight of 11.67 lbs (heavy barrel) and an Triggertech trigger. So perhaps Seekins is changing the SP10 with a heavier profile barrel and Triggertech trigger vs Timney. I don’t know why the Seekins website would not show the changes? Sounds like good changes. There is no price increase at EuroOptics for the newer version.

Have they ever made the SP10 with 16" Barrels?

To my knowledge only 18” (308) and 22” (other calibers). The custom shop can probably do whatever you want

Last edited:
This makes me want to buy the latest SP10 just for fun to do a review, what do you guys think?

I've already done a review on the original SP10, makes sense to do one on thier latest model.

Give this post a like if you'd be interested in me reviewing the latest SP10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. 👍

If I were you I would make sure you know which SP10 you get. The Seekins website does not describe the new weight (heavy barrel) or trigger (TriggerTech vs Timney). Scheels still describes the features matching Seekins website while EuroOptics describes the heavier model with new trigger. I believe there is still older inventory being sold. I would like to see a review of newer model

Happy to post pics of mine I bought it in December off euro optic the trigger feels way better that the one in my local scheels. Not sure about barrel.

Last edited:
Pics are always welcomed. If you have a dial caliper, measure the OD of barrel at muzzle. The standard profile barrel is 0.75” OD. The heavy profile barrel is 0.85” OD. From what I understand, the longer rifle length (either +1.5” or +2”) gas block will protrude past the end of the handguard. The standard gas block is flush with the end of handguard. I’m not sure how to tell the +1.5 from the +2. Mine extends 1/2” past the handguard but I don’t know if that’s +1.5 or +2. It’s just not flush with the handguard.

Pics are always welcomed. If you have a dial caliper, measure the OD of barrel at muzzle. The standard profile barrel is 0.75” OD. The heavy profile barrel is 0.85” OD. From what I understand, the longer rifle length (either +1.5” or +2”) gas block will protrude past the end of the handguard. The standard gas block is flush with the end of handguard. I’m not sure how to tell the +1.5 from the +2. Mine extends 1/2” past the handguard but I don’t know if that’s +1.5 or +2. It’s just not flush with the handguard.

You have the +2

The +1.5 is flush with the end of the handguard and the +2 protrudes out a 1/2" also making the switch lever adjustable GB easier to access.

These are all +2 systems.
1000002567.jpg
1000002576.jpg

1000002575.jpg
1000002159.jpg

1000000828.jpg
1000000416.jpg

Reactions: Jsp556 and rmiked
I have an SP10 (not 10M) with the heavy barrel profile and the extended gas system. The barrel is 0.85” at the muzzle and also at the muzzle end of the gas block. My gas block extends 1/2” beyond the handguard. I attached pics showing gas block extension. I also have the select adjustable gas block with the short lever. The barrel is a Rock Creek 5R stainless steel barrel, 22” long. I have never had better customer service from anyone and I’m 65 years old (meaning I have had many experiences with customer service). I don’t think they have a huge staff and I think their products are in high demand. It’s a nice problem to have for them. They will call you back in my experience but it may take 2 days. If no one called you back, that won’t meet their expectations. I attached a 3rd picture which is a screenshot of an SP10M gas block. The rifle is owned by Matty Nelson who is the marketing director for Seekins. It’s in a Utube video of him describing how the select adjustable gas block works. I can‘t tell how far forward the gas block extends past the handguard? So I don’t know if it’s the same as mine.
You have the +1.5".
Here is a +2" with the same gas block.

I too have had a less than stellar experience with Seekins CS over the past 5 months. Very difficult to get in contact with and three different SP10 lowers all sub par. I have resigned myself to keeping the third one...

Attachments

• IMG_20240310_160018.jpg
    IMG_20240310_160018.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 22
Yeah I ordered a replacement sp10 6.5 creed barrel from them, February 2023. And I haven't heard back from them since so I'll probably just get an order through craddock now going forward... kind of a bummer as I'd like to run the same barrel on my gun.

I recently posted how I could not get ahold of them in dec Jan and feb. However with that being said as of late they have been very responsive and my sp has been a laser easily a .5 moa maybe .3 moa rifle with factory ammo pretty crazy imo.

Seekins finally replied to my email. I’m still not impressed. This is the second email since they never responded to the first.
4FDFB9B3-B5EB-4AB8-B557-10A7678485F6.jpeg
0D046807-8291-4E83-B68D-BC600160CD06.jpeg

Buddy says use any ol AR10 barrel. Does he not know that their guns use DPMS pattern barrels, bolts, etc? Oh well. I like the gun but doubt I’ll be buying any more of their products.

So much for that stellar customer service. Maybe I should have fried it and sent it in for warranty.

ETA latest emails.
8E2887FA-6206-46F8-A59D-C922FF6557FC.jpeg

Oh well.

Last edited:
Seekins finally replied to my email. I’m still not impressed. This is the second email since they never responded to the first.View attachment 8398004View attachment 8398005
Buddy says use any ol AR10 barrel. Does he not know that their guns use DPMS pattern barrels, bolts, etc? Oh well. I like the gun but doubt I’ll be buying any more of their products.

So much for that stellar customer service. Maybe I should have fried it and sent it in for warranty.

ETA latest emails.
View attachment 8398053

Oh well.

So I brought this post to Seekins attention. First and foremost Justin is the FNG and was only replying as he was instructed about available inventory.

As for the reply itself, yes he needs to work on his bedside manners.

Due to the current SP10 Rifles using the same barrel contour as the SP10M the allocation of available barrels to the general public has changed, and has affected current inventory.

What Justin said is true, the SP10 can be easily rebarreled with a wide array of barrels that are available.

@Jsp556 if you would like me to rebarrel your upper id be more than happy to discuss it with you. Just cover parts and shipping.

Jake

Last edited:
So I brought this post to Seekins attention. First and foremost Justin is the FNG and was only replying as he was instructed about available inventory.

As for the reply itself, yes he needs to work on his bedside manners.

Due to the current SP10 Rifles using the same barrel contour as the SP10M the allocation of available barrels to the general public has changed, and has affected current inventory.

What Justin said is true, the SP10 can be easily be rebarreled with a wide array of barrels that are available.

@Jsp556 if you would like me to rebarrel your upper id be more than happy to discuss it with you. Just cover parts and shipping.

Jake
It already has a Criterion on it. Thanks for the offer though. Now it’s just a parts gun.

I’m not trashing the company as I believe they bring one of the better large frames to the market. I won’t recommend them anymore though. Selling parts to their existing customers should be as important as selling complete rifles. New or not, that was their sales rep. Everyone laughs about having to send a Knights gun back, Seekins just landed into the same camp. If that’s their new business model all good, it’s their business.

If they were worried about this post, they have my email address.

It already has a Criterion on it. Thanks for the offer though. Now it’s just a parts gun.

I’m not trashing the company as I believe they bring one of the better large frames to the market. I won’t recommend them anymore though. Selling parts to their existing customers should be as important as selling complete rifles. New or not, that was their sales rep. Everyone laughs about having to send a Knights gun back, Seekins just landed into the same camp. If that’s their new business model all good, it’s their business.

If they were worried about this post, they have my email address.

Seekins isn't worried, I only brought it to thier attention because it was so out of character.

Reactions: Jsp556
Here are some results with my sp10 in 6 creed.

100 yards 3 shots factory ammo from the prone. The circle is 1.5inches.

Attachments

• IMG_5867.jpeg
    IMG_5867.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 11
Nice shooting. Mattman215, are you shooting off bipod or front rest like Caldwell or front bag? I am new to Bipods and while my vertical shot dispersion is good, I get lateral dispersion much worse than vertical from a bipod. I generally shoot 3 shot groups also but not exclusively. I don’t compete and mainly hunt so my main interest is the first shot. Since I’m not claiming to be a professional, I feel like any more than 3 shots is just testing my human repeatability rather than the rifle’s capability. I understand the rifle heating up can affect POI, and in a PRS type environment that could be a big deal. And if I was doing things like that, I would shoot 5 and 10 shot groups. If I can shoot 3 shot , 1/2” groups at 100 yards with a gas gun using factory ammo, I’m tickled.

Last edited:
Nice shooting. Mattman215, are you shooting off bipod or front rest like Caldwell or front bag? I am new to Bipods and while my vertical shot dispersion is good, I get lateral dispersion much worse than vertical from a bipod. I generally shoot 3 shot groups also but not exclusively. I don’t compete and mainly hunt so my main interest is the first shot. Since I’m not claiming to be a professional, I feel like any more than 3 shots is just testing my human repeatability rather than the rifle’s capability. I understand the rifle heating up can affect POI, and in a PRS type environment that could be a big deal. And if I was doing things like that, I would shoot 5 and 10 shot groups. If I can shoot 3 shot , 1/2” groups at 100 yards with a gas gun using factory ammo, I’m tickled.
I shoot off both bags and bipods I think that group was bipod. A good stock/chassis that is properly bedded poi should not change from bipod to bags but if it does I would say just shoot it how you hunt with it. I like 3 shot groups and could care less what other people say ha