• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seekins SP10/ Craddock Precision bartlein build - range report to 1k

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
I got my build together last week and got the load tuned immediately. First one I tried shot a ragged hole at 100 yards. I ran it out to 1000 this morning in windy conditions and am impressed!

Specs are as follows

SP10 Builders kit and I had them cerakote it FDE
SCS Heavy buffer spring kit
JP FMOS HP bolt headspaced to Craddock precision 8tw 22" Bartlein with +2 gas
Superlative arms adjustable gas block
SSA Trigger
Vortex Razor 4.5-27
Running Omega suppressor it seems to like being suppressed

Using Lapua brass, CCI450, H4350, Berger 130 OTM, sized with Redding bushing die with expander mandrel ran through as last step.

2 100 yard 5rd groups in the .3's so I decided to see how the load held up out to 1k

the 2.6 group is 5 at 600. I shot a few at 500 to check my dope and the paster up above has 3 almost touching

9 rounds at 1000 shot as two different groups. I had 5 rounds and shot one in the berm to check windage then fired 4 and marked them. Fired 5 more with same scope settings and the 9 total might be 6.5". Very impressed considering how windy and it was. All groups fired prone with rear bag/bipod

Just wanted to post some long range gas gun groups since I rarely ever see them on here.

Thanks for all the advice and thanks to Seekins and Craddock!!

Attachments

• IMG_2713.JPG
    IMG_2713.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_2711.JPG
    IMG_2711.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_2714.JPG
    IMG_2714.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_2712.JPG
    IMG_2712.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
That's a sick build! I want to do pretty much that exact build here in the very near future

Nice build. Great minds think alike. I have the same build except I went with a Craddock 20” bartlein +2 gas. Shoots amazing well, like yours.

Very cool! I have a stock .308 SP10 which I like but haven't shot much.

How do you like the SA gas block with the Omega can? Does the forward venting help reduce gas to the face?

Cheers

Gas isn't bad at all. I'm left handed and haven't noticed much gas at all so far but I don't really have many rounds through it yet.

Reactions: coraxdefence
Hoping to revive an old thread. Any further reports on this rifle with the Craddock barrel? I talked to Craddock regarding my build (which I am hoping to finish up very similarly to yours) and they recommended against Seekins as the only receivers they have seen have issues with longevity and accuracy are those because of their design. Just wondering if you have had this experience since its been a couple years now.

Hoping to revive an old thread. Any further reports on this rifle with the Craddock barrel? I talked to Craddock regarding my build (which I am hoping to finish up very similarly to yours) and they recommended against Seekins as the only receivers they have seen have issues with longevity and accuracy are those because of their design. Just wondering if you have had this experience since its been a couple years now.
Really? Wow Seekins always highly recommended.

Really? Wow Seekins always highly recommended.
Had to do with how the barrel screws into the upper. I’m in no way shape or form an expert in gunsmithing and talking to someone who was, a lot of things went over my head so sorry I can’t better pass the word to the forum. I’m just hoping to hear from OP or someone about their experience since this is the exact setup I’m hoping for.

Had to do with how the barrel screws into the upper. I’m in no way shape or form an expert in gunsmithing and talking to someone who was, a lot of things went over my head so sorry I can’t better pass the word to the forum. I’m just hoping to hear from OP or someone about their experience since this is the exact setup I’m hoping for.

I was told the same from Craddock, he doesn't like the internal barrel nut because he thinks it will induce stress from the inside out of the upper receiver.

im sorry but it doesn't seem to be the case, I've completed several SP10 builder kits and own a few as well. I've had JP, Seekins, Craddock, Proof Research, and Compass Lake barrels all in my Seekins SP10 without ANY issue, it is literally the receiver set I designated for barrel testing. If these issues existed I hardly doubt GA Precision would make them their receiver of choice as well and JP wouldn't have gone to the same design as well.

Craddock pushes Areo Precision because that's what he carries. I'm a HUGE Craddock fan but definitely don't agree with his opinion on the SP10 design.

Reactions: star-lord
I was told the same from Craddock, he doesn't like the internal barrel nut because he thinks it will induce stress from the inside out of the upper receiver.

im sorry but it doesn't seem to be the case, I've completed several SP10 builder kits and own a few as well. I've had JP, Seekins, Craddock, Proof Research, and Compass Lake barrels all in my Seekins SP10 without ANY issue, it is literally the receiver set I designated for barrel testing. If these issues existed I hardly doubt GA Precision would make them their receiver of choice as well and JP wouldn't have gone to the same design as well.

Craddock pushes Areo Precision because that's what he carries. I'm a HUGE Craddock fan but definitely don't agree with his opinion on the SP10 design.
Rog. So in your experience you’d say I’m good to send it on the barrel I want from them and I’m set?

Barrel install in easy and straight forward, if you'd like I could walk the through it.
Thanks brother you’ve been a huge help. I’ll be sure to keep you in mind for that. I’m going to place the order this week. Hopefully I can have some more helpful info to bring in a future post about my results once it’s complete and then once I’ve got some solid rounds under my belt.

I’m figuring Craddock feels the same way about the Aero M5E1 enhanced receiver. Have you or anyone else gotten desirable results from standard large frame receivers? Is the seekins/m5e1 design a fix for a problem that doesn’t exist?

I have put a few thousand rounds through a SP10, hundreds of rounds at 1K and it has been very accurate and 100% reliable
almost boring.

stress : "a force exerted when one body or body part presses on, pulls on, pushes against, or tends to compress or twist another body or body part."

Every part in the rifle has some stress.

I have had an issue with the internal barrel nut design. A small frame 6 ARC on Mega MML receivers. There is no mechanical means of preventing barrel nut from backing out. At 50lb/ft of torque on barrel nut, it backed out in the middle of a match. POI went wild and I pulled rifle off line.

Seekins receivers are a little better in that it has a set screw to prevent barrel nut from backing out. For the Mega, I had to torque to 80 which negatively affected accuracy.

Reactions: RickyRodney