• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seekins SP10 in 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor

Texascbr

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2017
Austin, Texas
I’ve decided to purchase a Seekins SP10 but am having issues deciding on caliber. I’m leaning towards 6 Creedmoor but am finding little information on that cartridge as opposed to 6.5 Creedmoor for a gas gun. Anyone have experience with the SP10 in 6 Creedmoor? Comparisons of the 6 to 6.5 Creedmoor for a gas gun?

My use for the SP10 rifle will be an occasional PRS club match and possibly hunting. I already reload for the 6.5 Creedmoor and this will be my first 6mm cartridge. I’m thinking of adding 6mm Creedmoor to bolt guns as well but also get pulled towards 6xc, 6BRA and 6GT for my AI or Desert Tech SRS which are also used for PRS/Hunting. Of note is my local club match has targets to 1100 and sometimes 1300 yards. The 2 day match I shoot at Revielle Peak has consistently had one 1500yd stage.

So with all the rambling above do I want a 6 Creedmoor and to start down that rabbit trail as well with barrels for my bolt guns? Or should I stick with 6.5 for the SP10 and pick one of the more bolt oriented cartridges above for my bolt guns? Adding a new caliber is a big deal for me as it will be a large expense getting new ammo, reloading equipment and the time developing new loads. I realize this has a lot of moving parts and would appreciate any ideas/experiences with this decision.

I'm kinda going through the same thing ,but backwards, as I am set up with everything needed for reloading a 6 CM. I've been looking for LH bolt guns in 6 CM but can only find 6.5's, and most of them have "less Bbl." that I want. I keep telling myself, it's only just another set of dies / neck bushings and a selection of 6.5 bullets.
As to your situation, research barrel life between the 6 & 6.5 in your area ie summer Temps.and how many rounds you shoot at a match & month.

Baddog0302 I feel your pain. My daughter is a lefty and has just shot her first few PRS matches and selection for a Left Hand PRS style gun are pretty slim when trying to keep the budget reasonable. She desperately wants a 6mm after getting to use a loaner JP Bolt rifle in 6 Creed at a couple matches becoming enamored with the reduced recoil. Another reason I'm exploring a 6mm.

Have only put a few rounds downrange with my 6.5 Creedmoor AR 10, but have gone through several barrels in both 6x47 Lapua and 6.5x47 Lapua on bolt rifles. I believe barrel life should be substantially better with the 6.5 Creedmoor by a fair amount (of course depending on rate of fire/care/etc.).

You could drop from a 140 ish class bullet to a 130/123 in the 6.5 and reduce recoil a bit or just find a lower node.

However I like the 6mm's as well, ultimately it's your decision and new calibers are always nice to play with.

I started with .308 and was slow to accept the 6.5 CM. After seeing the performance and shooting one a few times, I made the switch. I ended up with a few bolt guns and AR's in 6.5 and was really happy with the performance and ease of load tuning. Then, along came the 6CM and I had the chance to try a few of those and started thinking of making the switch with my next barrel change. I decided on another 6.5CM. My main reasons were for longer range with wind, ease of spotting hits and increased barrel life. The recoil difference is negligible IMO and offset by other factors. The fact that I didn't have to get setup for another caliber was certainly a bonus. I would consider it if I was shooting competitively on a regular basis and wanted every possible advantage but I can't justify the trade off for now. Just my .02.

Reactions: Texascbr