• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seekins Upper Gunsmithing Question

ORD

Montani Semper Liberi
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2005
Morgantown, WV, USA
Ok...wasn't sure whether to put this up in the Semi-auto or in the Gunsmithing forum, but figured it might get more traffic here from those in the know.

I am getting ready to do a couple of barrel installs (one on my personal iRMT-3 and one on a friend's iRMT-R). I already have a 1-1/8" crowfoot to use with my torque wrench, but nowhere have I been able to find the correct torque specifications/range for the titanium barrel nut. Lots of "guesses" and supposition on the BARFCOM Industry forum for Seekins Precision, but nothing definitive and no word in the thread in question from Glen or anyone in the Seekins crew.

Anybody here have any info on the proper torque for these projects?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I torqued all three of my Seekins builds just like any other AR barrel and had no issues. I have two IMRTs and a regular SSP. Tighten past 50lbs, loosen, tighten again, loosen and then tighten to between 35lbs and 80lbs when the gas tube hole lines up. Most are close to 50lbs. All my Seekins are Sub MOA with one at 1/2 MOA (Lilja Barrel).

I torqued all three of my Seekins builds just like any other AR barrel and had no issues. I have two IMRTs and a regular SSP. Tighten past 50lbs, loosen, tighten again, loosen and then tighten to between 35lbs and 80lbs when the gas tube hole lines up. Most are close to 50lbs. All my Seekins are Sub MOA with one at 1/2 MOA (Lilja Barrel).

Thanks for your take on this one, Danco. Your "take" seems to be in line with what some others have said in the BARFCOM thread on this subject. While I appreciate the feedback, the method you and others describe seems illogical to me because THERE IS NO GAS TUBE HOLE TO LINE UP WITH THE iRMT UPPERS. Using the usual barrel install method is just purely "guessing" as to what is or isn't a correct torque range for the Ti bbl nut on those uppers or otherwise "splitting down the middle" the usual torque range at around 50in/lbs. While it may result in excellent performance/accuracy, it may still not be "optimal" or the "recommended" range/value.

I forwarded a link to this thread and the BARFCOM thread to Glen asking for his input. Hopefully when time permits, he'll be able to chime in with any insight on the subject.

Have you called or PMed Seekins and asked? Glenn is really good at answering PM's here on the Hide. As Danco, I too just torqued it like I did on other builds. Shoots great.

I couldn't agree more. I too have had excellent results contacting Glen when he's not completely buried. He's always been a prime example of how the "CUSTOMER" should be the focus of "CUSTOMER service." See below re: my comms with Glen when have been by PM thus far as I know he's buried with e-mails and thought a PM might be easier to deal with as time permitted. I went this route (posting a thread then providing Glen with the links to mine and the BARFCOM thread) given my inability to find any firm answers and seeing others in the same predicament. Hopeful that he'll be able to give an answer "to the masses."

I forwarded a link to this thread and the BARFCOM thread to Glen asking for his input. Hopefully when time permits, he'll be able to chime in with any insight on the subject.