• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Seekonk Precision Torque Wrench worth it?

TSU_ARCHER

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2024
Colorado Springs
Could only find fragmented info throughout the forum on any reviews for this torque wrench. Anyone using Seekonk Precision?

My Wheeler Digital has served it purpose but I’m ready for a major upgrade. Plus I love the idea of going back to a wrench that has a “give” or “break” when you hit your set torque spec.

Any insight into this torque wrench? It’s either that or maybe Fix It Sticks.

Thanks for any info👍🏻

Looks like a nice wrench.

I've been happy with a Craftsman 1/2" torque wrench and an Armstrong 1/4". Your needs may be more than mine though.

I had one set at a specific torque value for my AI during barrel swaps. It was nice to know it applied the same torque, every single time for repeatability. I’d definitely buy again. Good stuff.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
Depends on which Seekonk wrench you are talking about.
This one: https://megadepot.com/product/seekonk-bt-2l-1-4-65-t-handle-pre-set-torque-wrench-1-4-65-in-lbs
is both great and terrible simultaneously.
They are good in that they tend to maintain their accuracy well over long-term use and storage.
They are terrible because they have lash-back when you roll over into the "click". I demonstrate this frequently to folks by simply tightening the front and rear nuts of any 1/2" nut optic mount and allowing them to "click over". When you retorque after they click, you will get an additional 1/8-1/6 of a turn before hitting torque. Why? Lash-back from the clutch is loosening the nut.
To use them correctly: tighten front and rear to about 1/2 torque, then go back and tighten but stop when you feel the resistance of the clutch mechanism ramp up. If you allow it to click over, just gradually tighten again. It takes a few times to get the feel for it, but it's not a steep learning curve.
Also, a proper hold on the wrench helps a lot in controlling your torque. It's harder to do if you hold it like a push-dagger, with the socket protruding from between your ring and middle finger, with the hand clamped around the "T" section. I lay my hand flat on the grip area, with the whole handle section in my grip, thumb on the side of grip so that I'm pushing with my thumb rather than torqueing from my wrist.

You can get a whole Fixit Sticks set with multiple torque limiters for cheaper than that one. (the one linked above)