• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Select-a-weight dumbbells

Surffshr

Beach Bum
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2009
SoTX
I'm considered adding iron back into my schedule and I'm interested in having a simple/adjustable bench and dumbbells at my house. I've been looking at the various adjustable dumbbells, and I would appreciate some feedback from folks familiar with them.

Re: Select-a-weight dumbbells

I use an older version of the Pro Form dumbbells. They have worked for two years with few issues. With out the stand they would be more of a PITA than they are worth. They do save a lot of space compared to having a set of several different weights.

A buddy has some of the Bowflex and they are much better made and again with out the stand they too would be a PITA.

Most only go up to about 50-55 lbs so if you want bigger you will end up buying the others any way.

I am starting to lean toward the dumbbell bars to be able to add/subtract the weight I want for a specific exercise.

I guess it boils down to the price range you want to be in. There are some cheaper ones out there, but, as with everything, you get what you pay for.

Good Luck!

I want some of those bad. They are muey spensive though, especially with the overpriced stand

My Dept. has the Bowflex dumbells. I'm the fitness equipment trainer and I've had to replace/repair a few sets under heavy use.

They are spendy. I was looking at a couple of types to save some space and not have a pile of dumbbells in my garage. 5 pound increments of regular dumbbells from 10 to 75 would be expensive too. The ironmaster version sounds good for a range of weights and being able to drop them if need be, but looks close to stack weight dumbbells.

Ive got the Powerblock Personal Plus set. They go from 10 - 60lbs. The work well, change weights fast, and fell pretty solid when youre using them.

My biggest complaint is with the 15lb inserts, they cramps your hands a little. Hard to describe if you havnt seen a set, but youre reaching 'into' the weight to pick it up and the insert uses up some of the room for your hand. If you have big hands you wont like these.

Powerblock makes adjustable kettlebells also, like the dumbbells they are oddly shaped. Personally I wanted up to 90 pounds and all those systems are over $500. Of the bowflex and blocks I'd get the bowflex.

I bought my powerblock back in 94 when they first came out and I still have and use them..I dont know if they are still american made as mine are but it was money well spent and never had an issue with them..Very well made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marshallwk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Powerblock makes adjustable kettlebells also, like the dumbbells they are oddly shaped. Personally I wanted up to 90 pounds and all those systems are over $500. Of the bowflex and blocks I'd get the bowflex. </div></div>

I looked at Bowflex. They are LONG regardless of how much weight you put on them. Long enough that I think they prohibit a lot exercises.

FWIW, I got a 5-90 set of Powerblocks for about $200 at the "Play it Again" sports equipment store at the end of the street. Check your local used equipment shop, you may get lucky!

I use Powerblocks myself, and the only complaint I have is that its very akward to do exercises like SkullCrushers and Overhead Tricep extensions with the weights themselves (no handle) but its not impossible. Anything over 50 lbs is difficult to hold on to.

The bowflex work well, don't take up much space, get the stand with them.