• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Selecting That Scope For a 223 Bolt Action Rifle

DRAGON64

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2011
Alabama
I just purchased my first 223 bolt action rifle (Rem 700), and now I am hunting for a scope that will compliment the platform. The rifle is destined to shoot anywhere from 100 to 600(rarely) yards, with 200 being the most frequently available to me. I am a paper hunter, and will use the rifle and the cheaper ammunition to learn to shoot and develope reloads etc. Since the rifle comes with a 1:9 twist, I will be staying under 70gr pills. Although taboo in most circles, I am also working from a budget of $350 or less. Here are some choices I am considering:

Falcon menace 10X42

Hawke 30 Sidewinder 10X44

Primary Arms 4-14X44 (similar to Falcon Menace 4-14X44 but $130 cheaper)

Mueller Tactical 8-32X42 I have used the target version of this scope in the airgun world, and it worked great... so I am considering the target version now, as the only change is the reticle from target to mil-dot.

I am not looking for a 1" tube as I already have a nice set of 30mm low rings. So my next question is, should I go 20moa base or stay at 0 moa?

Is there a scope option that I am over looking? One thing to note is, I would really like to stay with a side focus. If the SWFA 10X42 side focus was not $399 I would be all over it. But again, my budget is strained. If the rear focus SWFA scope will work at $299, than I would not be opposed to this option.

i wanted the side focus instead of the rear focus on the swfa. i bought the rear focus because i did not think the side focus was worth 100 bucks. i like the rear focus as much as my side focus scopes. it is easy to adjust while looking through the scope just like the side focus. i do not think there is a better scope under 350. i shoot 77 sierras and of my 1 in 9 223 remington 700 xcr long range. they are sub moa at 600y. get 100 and try some 1 in 9s will shoot them some wont. the swfa has enough adjustment you would probly not need a moa base but they are the same price so i would get the 20 moa base. only worry would be if you get a scope with very little adjustment you would bottom it out before you get sighted in. also it would not be ideal to be cranked down at the bottom of your adjustment all the time.

Last edited:
i wanted the side focus instead of the rear focus on the swfa. i bought the rear focus because i did not think the side focus was worth 100 bucks. i like the rear focus as much as my side focus scopes. it is easy to adjust while looking through the scope just like the side focus. i do not think there is a better scope under 350. i shoot 77 sierras and of my 1 in 9 223 remington 700 xcr long range. they are sub moa at 600y. get 100 and try some 1 in 9s will shoot them some wont. the swfa has enough adjustment you would probly not need a moa base but they are the same price so i would get the 20 moa base. only worry would be if you get a scope with very little adjustment you would bottom it out before you get sighted in. also it would not be ideal to be cranked down at the bottom of your adjustment all the time.

The SWFA scopes definitely get better reviews than anything else I have mentioned...

I assume you want a mil-based reticle?

mil-based, Mrad mil dot, anything but target dot.

My brother and BIL both have Remington 700 SPS's 308's and 223's and both use the Konus Pro Tactical M30 6.5-25x44 (30mm tube) scopes. The scopes have been in use for over 2 years now and 1 for over 3 years on a 308 without a single problem. The scope has a glass etched illuminated reticle and mil dot reticle with 0.1 mil locking turrets. The glass seem to be clear with no observable chromatic aberration. The tracking is spot on. It runs about $320. It's my understanding the parts are all european sourced and assembled under strict supervision by Konus QC inspectors (not Chinese) at the Konus built factory in China.

DRAGON 64, I like your ACHTUNG memo

Last edited:
If you're OK with fixed parallax the Midway Weaver 3-10 mil/mil will be tough to beat @ $299 Weaver Tactical Grand Slam Rifle Scope 3-10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments
The PA scopes have great reviews, one of these days I'd like to pick one up to check out. I had a Falcon 5-25 and it was very clear, never got much chance to play with it BUT I can tell you for sure they're heavy! The PA ones are a bit smaller and lighter I think
From a quick stroll through the sample list I saw these, one stretches the budget a little though
Leupold 3-9x40 VX-R Rifle Scope DEMO-A
Millett 4-16x50 TRS-1 Tactical Riflescope DEMO-A

Midways BSA tactical 4-14 because it has .5 mil hashes which are just the right thickness for the mag range or the SWFA rear focus 12x.

Just get a fixed 10x SWFA SS and be done with it. In that price range if you want turrets that track true, a decent reticle and glass and an extremely durable scope that doesn't have a wandering zero you need to get the SS. Truth is you'd probably have to spend $700-$800 to find another scope that is on its' level.

Everything has finall come together; I picked up this Leupold Mark 4 base on ebay for $84 shipped...

IMG_8045_zpsa3864c8e.jpg

My rifle ended up being a Model 700 Tactical Cerakote in 223...

IMG_8046_zps2f51ff70.jpg

I torqued the action, and the scope base screws, followed by the Burris low mount scope rings (not pictured)...

IMG_8050_zpsafa93d32.jpg

My scope selection was the SWFA 10-42M with the extension and flippies from Butler Creek...

IMG_8051_zpsd05b894a.jpg

I know the 10-42M (side focus) was $100 more than the rear focus model, but there was something about the symetry that balanced the look, which is a personal thing. I was slightly diasappointed that the sun shade sold by SWFA does not match the texture and color of the scope, but I figure given a little time, they will match eventually. Thanks for the help and advice. Now I need to get a Harris so I can get this rifle off of the stand...