• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Selector gritty?

moneey

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2008
The Evergreen State
I have a LMT MRP upper on a pof gen3 lower with dpms lpk. Selector functions smoothly from safe to fire with a loaded mag and bolt forward. However, after the last round and the bolt is back (i.e. action open), the selector doesn't go to safe "smoothly." It feels a little bit "gritty." It doesn't flip to safe with the flick of the thumb. I have to put a little pressure behind it.

Anyone here have any ideas on what is the cause of this? Thank you in advance.

Re: Selector gritty?

if your shooting suppressed i would say its dirty.if your shooting low quality ammo w/fast trigger finger,its dirty.are they new parts?who installed?

The bolt carrier is putting pressure on the trigger group. The tail of the trigger is apparently draging on the selector shaft. You can remove the trigger assembly and CAREFULLY stone the trigger tail where it is rubbing the selector shaft. Just remove enough to eliminate the interference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: birddog762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if your shooting suppressed i would say its dirty.if your shooting low quality ammo w/fast trigger finger,its dirty.are they new parts?who installed?</div></div>

No, I'm not shooting suppressed, using black hills (blue box), parts are all new and I installed them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toolmaker64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bolt carrier is putting pressure on the trigger group. The tail of the trigger is apparently draging on the selector shaft. You can remove the trigger assembly and CAREFULLY stone the trigger tail where it is rubbing the selector shaft. Just remove enough to eliminate the interference.</div></div>

That is what I was thinking. what would happpen if too much of the trigger tail is removed...safety/selector wouldn't function like it should?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moneey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: birddog762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if your shooting suppressed i would say its dirty.if your shooting low quality ammo w/fast trigger finger,its dirty.are they new parts?who installed?</div></div>

No, I'm not shooting suppressed, using black hills (blue box), parts are all new and I installed them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toolmaker64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bolt carrier is putting pressure on the trigger group. The tail of the trigger is apparently draging on the selector shaft. You can remove the trigger assembly and CAREFULLY stone the trigger tail where it is rubbing the selector shaft. Just remove enough to eliminate the interference.</div></div>

That is what I was thinking. what would happpen if too much of the trigger tail is removed...safety/selector wouldn't function like it should?
</div></div> Yes, removing too much off the trigger tail could possibly make the selector inoperable. But you would have to remove quite a bit of material to do that. In your case a couple of thousands off the tail should solve your problem.

A "gritty" feeling of the selector indicates grit or dirt in the FCG well.

If it was a clearance issue, the selector would feel smooth but difficult to move.

Try cleaning it properly before making irreversible changes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A "gritty" feeling of the selector indicates grit or dirt in the FCG well.

If it was a clearance issue, the selector would feel smooth but difficult to move.

Try cleaning it properly before making irreversible changes. </div></div> The OP stated that the selector would feel ''gritty''only when the was bolt was locked to the rear. When the bolt was closed on a full mag the selector funtioned smoothly.What does that tell you? If it was dirty the selector would be difficult to move all the time.

I think it is a clearance issue because parts are new. I'll try removing some of the tail. After removing some of the metal, what should I coat the bare metal with to prevent rusting or is that a non-issue?

Thanx to all for sharing their thoughts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moneey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it is a clearance issue because parts are new. I'll try removing some of the tail. After removing some of the metal, what should I coat the bare metal with to prevent rusting or is that a non-issue?

Thanx to all for sharing their thoughts. </div></div> If you are worried about rust you can put some "cold bluing" solution on the bare steel. Afterwards keep a light coat of oil on there to help prevent any rust from forming.