• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Self Aiming "One Shot" Sniper Rifle?

Re: Self Aiming "One Shot" Sniper Rifle?

I like the statement "ensuring a perfect shot", as if it will ensure a perfect 100% fire/hit ratio.
If you could steer the damn bullet you could still miss your intended target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the statement "ensuring a perfect shot", as if it will ensure a perfect 100% fire/hit ratio.
If you could steer the damn bullet you could still miss your intended target.</div></div>

The man makes a good point.

Maybe I'm just ignorant. But how is this system supposed to help you shoot?

It is supposed to calculate range, barometric pressure, wind speed etc. and provide the data in real time to the shooter. Indeed it would be helpful but I am skeptical about the implementation and expectations for the system.

Benchresters have Kestrel wind meters and a whole field of wind flags and they still miss changes in the wind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is supposed to calculate range, barometric pressure, wind speed etc. and provide the data in real time to the shooter. Indeed it would be helpful but I am skeptical about the implementation and expectations for the system. </div></div>

I am also very skeptical about it. Technology is getting better and better, but a human being is still by far the most important part of hitting a target. This system might be able to help accomplish that, but it won't guarantee hits every time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is supposed to calculate range, barometric pressure, wind speed etc. and provide the data in real time to the shooter. Indeed it would be helpful but I am skeptical about the implementation and expectations for the system. </div></div>

Oh. Well in that case I've heard of this before. I find it stupid they would spend that much money on a technology that already exists in weather stations, a high school graduate could write a program to feed it into a ballistic calculator.

Look at the BORS system already available to the public..... Just another tool.... Jerk the trigger & it's all worthless....

Just finished Stephen Hunter's new book, "I Sniper" and they are talking about a scope that does exactly what you are talking about. I don't know if something like this is available right now but I imagine that there are things in the works for exactly what he describes in his book. Interesting read......as usual.

This
grin.gif

John - out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John lima_mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This
grin.gif

John - out</div></div>

Group buy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Darpa's Self-Aiming "One Shot" Sniper Rifle

I wonder how this thing is going to measure wind speed... </div></div>

Measuring wind with laser/ultrasonic beam has been used in windmills for a decade already.

But making All-in-1 aiming optics which automatically adjusts optics based to integrated LRF is another story. A certain company managed to patent that combo some time ago, all other manufacturers are trying to find a way to go around it.

Btw, BORS has a German competitor coming already. Device looks similar but is not a copy in any sense. I have used it and it is better than BORS, based to specs I have red from BORS manual.