• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Self built aluminum stock (updated/new pics)

257speed

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2007
Alb, New Mexico
I have wanted to do this for a while, finally got on it. Machined from a solid billett of 7075. All work done on a manual mill, sorry no CNC for this guy (too much $$$). Stock uses AR grips and AICS mags and will have a fully adjustable folding buttstock. Forend is carbon fiber ( 2" dia X .125 wall).

Length as shown is 31.5" with a 19.5" barrel
P1090280.jpg

Missing the butt section. Hinge is mostly finished, just need to finish the cheekpiece and recoil pad mounts.
P1090281.jpg

This photo shows the two 1/4"x20 cap screws that hold the forend section on. This allows it to removed for barrel swaps or whatever
P1090278.jpg

This shows the mag release, which I wanted on the inside so it is protected from accidental release. The trigger guard is oversize to facilitate gloves or whatever.
P1090277.jpg

The aluminum parts are pretty much ready for a good media blast and then off to the anodizer. The carbon fiber will have a small steel pad epoxied into the forend (bottom front) which will be drilled and tapped for the forend sling/bipod studs. Will also get a short pic rail on top for NV, not that I have any but you never know. Carbon will get a light media blast to remove shine.
<span style="color: #FF0000"> UPDATED</span>
Got to do some work on the buttstock.
Right side: Upper right cap screw 1/4 turn lossens cheekpiece for up/down
Lower left cap screw loosens butt rod for length and angle.
P1170285.jpg

Left side: shows steel backers for cap screw clamps
P1170287.jpg

Top view:
P1170286.jpg

Folded views:
P1170289.jpg

P1170288.jpg

Re: Self built aluminum stock

hah! right on, looks great good job
smile.gif

reminds me a bit of the MK14EBR

Very nice work! Nothing beats the satisfaction of a sucessful DIY project!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranger70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is going to look sweet!!!! how about some pics. of the milling of said stock???? Jim </div></div>

I never think to take pic's when I am in the middle of it. I will get some as I machine the remainder and go through the final steps.

Do you have dimentions for your cheek piece? I have some made. Up from my chasis project. I will give you one if it will work. Shoot me a pm if interested.

Jason

I really like it! It looks clean, yet functional. So, how many manhours have you got invested in it? I'll bet it represents a couple of months worth of work.

Awesome job! I really like it!
And respect for doing that on a manual mill!
wink.gif

I'll make a tube gun stock for a savage in the near future. What did you pay for that carbon tube? I'm looking for good deals on that tubes but they seem to be pretty expensive, so I may end up with my first idea, wrapping a aluminium tube in multicam fabric for the foreend...

16 hours..pretty quick really for the amount of work that would take. Nice work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Russ257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">work of art. Excellent craftsmanship</div></div>

+1

Very nice. I can really appreciate the time and effort you have put into this one of a kind project. Please show us the finished product when you are done.

Man nice job on that. I work at a machine shop and know how truly tough it is. You got some skills man. Very nice work.

Justin

I have alot of respect for someone that can design and build a one of a kind rifle. I also would like to see the finished rifle. I thought it was cool that you said you didn't like the mag release location so you just relocated it. I always find little things on my rifles and pistols I would like to see done differently but I don't have the tools, experience, and money to do anything about it.

Great work!

Jesse

This is a job that takes some planning, great execution.

there are some finished pictures in the self built stock thread. looks nice