• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Self built aluminum stock (updated with pic's)

257speed

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2007
Alb, New Mexico
I have wanted to do this for a while, finally got on it. Machined from a solid billett of 7075. All work done on a manual mill, sorry no CNC for this guy (too much $$$). Stock uses AR grips and AICS mags and will have a fully adjustable folding buttstock. Forend is carbon fiber ( 2" dia X .125 wall).

Length as shown is 31.5" with a 19.5" barrel
P1090280.jpg

Missing the butt section. Hinge is mostly finished, just need to finish the cheekpiece and recoil pad mounts.
P1090281.jpg

This photo shows the two 1/4"x20 cap screws that hold the forend section on. This allows it to removed for barrel swaps or whatever
P1090278.jpg

This shows the mag release, which I wanted on the inside so it is protected from accidental release. The trigger guard is oversize to facilitate gloves or whatever.
P1090277.jpg

The aluminum parts are pretty much ready for a good media blast and then off to the anodizer. The carbon fiber will have a small steel pad epoxied into the forend (bottom front) which will be drilled and tapped for the forend sling/bipod studs. Will also get a short pic rail on top for NV, not that I have any but you never know. Carbon will get a light media blast to remove shine.
<span style="color: #FF0000"> UPDATED</span>
Got to do some work on the buttstock.
Right side: Upper right cap screw 1/4 turn lossens cheekpiece for up/down
Lower left cap screw loosens butt rod for length and angle.
P1170285.jpg

Left side: shows steel backers for cap screw clamps
P1170287.jpg

Top view:
P1170286.jpg

Folded views:
P1170289.jpg

P1170288.jpg

Re: Self built aluminum stock

That looks great. Are you going to finish it (Duracoat, etc) when complete? Would like to see pictures when your all done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Side</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That looks great. Are you going to finish it (Duracoat, etc) when complete? Would like to see pictures when your all done. </div></div>

It will be hard anodized (dark grey) and I will see how it looks before I think about coating it. Should be kinda sexy with the anodizing and carbon fiber.

Should be a very nice stock when finished. Cant wait to see final product. How much time in the milling?

thats awesome, cant wait to see it complete and anodized. you going to machine the cheek piece or make one from carbon fiber? btw i will take 3

I would like to see you turn folding stock to other side and maybe lock bot up with folding portion of stock.

My I make an option suggestion that may bring your cost way down.

Have your folding stock so tha eitehr an ar collapsable or full size (magpull PRS ) stock can be installed. that will gice people alot of other options to use something they may already have, it will also give you one variation of your product that you can sell at a much lower cost

Dafar, I had considered your thoughts as well, but went with this instead. Also, this is a one-off, I have no intentions of selling these at this point

Impressive.
Make me one for a savage .223 short action that will take AR mags so I can make a .300 whipser 16" folder w/an ACOG.
smile.gif