• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Self-inflating foam pad for a shooting mat?

noahmercy

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2010
Sheridan, Wyoming
What's the consensus?

I am just getting into shooting from prone in the field, and the rocky, prickly terrain here dictates something more substantial than a tarp or nylon mat. I also intend to do some predator calling in the cooler months, which means possibly laying out on cold or snowy ground. It seems that a pad with some thickness and dead air space would be just the thing. I'm not terribly worried about portability (no need to stray <span style="font-style: italic">too</span> far from my truck), so the weight of a self-inflater isn't an issue.

Any input?

Re: Self-inflating foam pad for a shooting mat?

Creedmoor mat or another purpose-built shooting mat makes more sense -- and you won't have to patch it.

d_32.jpg

If the ground is as bad as you say 1st clear the major rocks from under your intended shooting position. Then place a tarp down and put one of those camping pads down followed by a decent shooting mat. This will keep you insulated from the cold in winter as well as ironing out the smaller rocks for longer times lying prone.

Mac

where I shoot there a lot of cactus and stuff so I use a rubber mud flap from a semi. Nothing is gonna poke through it. Its not full body length though, its just long enough for my torso. So just glue some heavy material too it to get a full body length if needed.

The standard issue military air mats are great as well as inexpensive. I am sure there is also a version at Cabella's in the same cost range. They do a fair job of keeping smaller rocks from being felt, but if the truck is right there a rake works killer first. I abstained from using tarps or other items during winter shooting upstate and found the mat to be reliable for keeping most of the cold off of me as I shot, however, time shooting was shorter to warm up in the vehicle as needed since temps were below zero when I went out to get my shooting fix

Thanks for the quick replies, gents. Sorry I didn't get to read them until just now...had ta' work an evening shift and then took my time coming home on my scoot. Turkey, pheasant, pronghorn, and whitetail, all in less than seven miles.

Some great ideas here. I particularly like the mudflap for areas where the cactus are prevalent (I'll actually use a chunk of conveyor belt, so it will be full length). One of the places I shoot has more pricks per square foot than the DNC. I'll also check out the Creedmore mat.

I have a couple self inflating Therma-Rest mats, been using them for years for camping. I gave my 30"x72"x1" mat a try for the same reasons you want to try one, rocks and thorns. It was OK. They are kind of stiff regardless of how little you let it inflate, they don't contour well to uneven ground. Thorns/cactus don't stick in the tough bottom material.

They would work well for help keeping you warm and dry when you are laying out in the snow, their intended use. I would give one a try.

+1 on the Thermarest for insulation to weight and packsize ratio. Should you get a puncture they can be patched up in the field. They also do a handy seat sized one in realtree camo which I use all the time.