• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

self made nylon gear?

PUNI5HER0311

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2011
SOUTH CAROLINA
Anyone here make their own tactical kit with nylon? Id like to try it out and see where it goes. Any suggestions on equipment and supplies to get started?
Thanks guys!

Check out upholstery shops for used equipment and supplies. Knowing how to run a sewing machine is like knowing how to run a table saw. Damn handy. Start with really simple stuff like ammo bags, etc. It takes a while to get it right.

The use of Camo material will also hide sewing mistakes and uneven stitching.

Last edited:
And don't forget, an industrial sewing machine can punch thru your fingers!

I make my own gear, and have a small gear making factory in the basement. It is expensive, frustrating, and time consuming. If you are just wanting a certain piece of gear, then just buy it. You'll be money ahead, and much time saved. On the other hand, if you want a hobby and are dedicated enough to push through the frustration in learning a new set of skills, then by all means, do it.

DIY Tactical is a great place to start learning. Lots of very helpful folks there.

Anyone here make their own tactical kit with nylon? Id like to try it out and see where it goes. Any suggestions on equipment and supplies to get started?
Thanks guys!
Another vote for DIY Tactical, there is a ton of gear building information there as well as a great group of members. I go by the same name over there, so feel free to PM me if you need any help.
Rockywoods outdoor fabric is a great source for small quantities of material for tactical gear.
Enjoy, Scott

We have some really talented guys that post on the DIY board (all manners of great work). Puni5her0311-the very best of luck if you decide to start a business, in the North and South Carolina area, there are tons of old sewing plants and machines around-most of the jobs and plants went to Honduras/Mexico/China (but as you live there you know this better than I). You may be able to find some heavy duty type machines-cheap. Again best of luck to you!

Craigslist is your friend on looking for a used machine. You may have to bide your time, but they pop up from time to time. Another vote for Rockywoods, for small quantity and friendly service.