• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Self Spotter

dejannenov

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2022
Boise, ID
Is anyone aware of a device allowing "self-spotting"?

Apar from going with a buddy - my kids have somehow managed to grow up and not only are they about to leave home but are also much harder to convince to come spot for me.

I am considering putting together a setup with a cheap/old laptop, USB camera, software to delay the video feed, and a bracket to mount/center/focus the USB camera to my spotting scope. With a 2-4 second delay on the video, I can shoot then look to the monitor and see where the shot landed.

I have tried mobile phone mounts - and frankly non of them work and are incredibly fragile, unstable, and frustrating to setup.

Before I make the effort to put all this together - I would like to know if I can "buy and not build" :)

Thank you.

tactacam-spotter-lr-spotting-scope-camera-1643237-3.jpg

Your scope.

If you're just trying to spot your shots in the moment, and aren't interested in recording them, the simplest and most reliable approach is to just manage recoil properly and spot your shots through the scope. There are a lot of resources on this site and others, from very knowledgeable people, to help learn the correct form (e.g. here, here, here, here, here). If you're properly aligned with the rifle, shoulders square and spine parallel, the reticle won't move much relative to your point of aim at all, even under significant recoil.

Your scope.

If you're just trying to spot your shots in the moment, and aren't interested in recording them, the simplest and most reliable approach is to just manage recoil properly and spot your shots through the scope. There are a lot of resources on this site and others, from very knowledgeable people, to help learn the correct form (e.g. here, here, here, here, here). If you're properly aligned with the rifle, shoulders square and spine parallel, the reticle won't move much relative to your point of aim at all, even under significant recoil.
Forgive me - but I am just not a great shooter - I am completely self-taught hobbyist - and while I shoot quite a bit, reload, and greatly enjoy it as a hobby I have never been able to consistently keep my sight pictre on target to allow me to self-spot. Especially when I am shooting under 1,000 yards (my local range is only 550 unless I head out ot the desert), I find it practically impossible to do.

A different avenue would be to get a Silver Mountain Target system or Shot Marker Target System. they work to 1000 yds. Here is a screen shot using SMT system during 300 yd match

Attachments

• IMG_2284.PNG
    IMG_2284.PNG
    805.3 KB · Views: 47
A different avenue would be to get a Silver Mountain Target system or Shot Marker Target System. they work to 1000 yds. Here is a screen shot using SMT system during 300 yd match
These are fantastic, but so many pieces to set up, and seem a bit spendy. I would like to keep doing the simple thing - go out and hang a few steels at progressively longer ranges - come back - shoot (and spot), then drive out, collect your steels, and go home :) I am hoping for a setup that is "just at the bench"...

@dejannenov No worries, and all the more reason to try! I haven't been to SOTIC either - I learned about recoil management from browsing this site and practicing on my own. It's the fifth fundamental of marksmanship, and worth learning.

Using a bolt rifle in a lower-recoiling cartridge (.223, 6.5CM) can help flatten the learning curve, though something like .308 is fine. A bipod with some slack built in (Magpul, Atlas) can help a bit as well, but is not essential. You won't need a whole lot of range to practice, either - even a hundred yards is enough to practice keeping your reticle on target through the recoil impulse.

Personal E Targets are about $850, build your own frame, so yes little more than a camera system but set up takes me 5 minutes and I never have to go back down range until I am finished to pick up the frame. Plus one gets a savable plot and at target data. For load work, practice or just shooting these are the awesome.

Please don't think I'm being condescending or sarcastic. That's not the intention.

Try pulling back on the magnification. Shoot on a much lower magnification, freeze everything immediately after the shot goes off, make sure your rear bag pressure stays the same before and after breaking the shot, make sure you're pulling the rifle into your shoulder before taking the shot.

If that doesn't work, move to a lower recoil caliber - .22LR & .223 and try to on those calibers.

Reactions: nutation
I've done this in the field with my Spotting scope plus Novagrade mount (highly recommend) plus phone.

I bought a little Bluetooth remote that you can use to initiate a video recording/stop recording/start again as needed to avoid having to get up/could separate strings of fire as desired.

It did require 'rewinding' if I wanted to go back and see something in the field on the phone itself.

As proof of concept at home I did fiddle with projecting the phone camera image onto either a laptop or extra TV or something. It was doable, but I found it wasn't really worth it/lugging all that around/you need a laptop that displays much better outdoors/doesn't overheat/than mine was capable of. I didn't mess with incorporating delays.

Forgive me - but I am just not a great shooter - I am completely self-taught hobbyist - and while I shoot quite a bit, reload, and greatly enjoy it as a hobby I have never been able to consistently keep my sight pictre on target to allow me to self-spot. Especially when I am shooting under 1,000 yards (my local range is only 550 unless I head out ot the desert), I find it practically impossible to do.

In my opinion (worth what you paid for it), you are looking for a piece of equipment to offset a lack of fundamental skills. If you have a proper base and positioning (natural point of aim) with proper alignment and correct follow-through, you wouldn’t have an issue keeping the sight picture on target.

There are a ton of great resources out there, but nothing is as good as in-person instruction from a qualified teacher.

Of course, equipment and tools are cool, too.

In my opinion (worth what you paid for it), you are looking for a piece of equipment to offset a lack of fundamental skills. If you have a proper base and positioning (natural point of aim) with proper alignment and correct follow-through, you wouldn’t have an issue keeping the sight picture on target.

There are a ton of great resources out there, but nothing is as good as in-person instruction from a qualified teacher.

Of course, equipment and tools are cool, too.

There are some very old lessons here. There is no royal road to geometry. Simplicity is the final achievement. Gear can't compensate for fundamentals - it will fail when you will not. The cost is maybe a few hundred rounds and a few hours; the result will never run out of batteries.

yup , my scope with my weighted gun it does not move off of the target when I fire it so I can see every shot like I was inches away , sometimes even others shots without having to get off the gun . and with 50x's mag it should have plenty of power to see shots at a mile or more still need to prove that but if this video holds true it should be easy to see , we own a spotter why use it when I can see everything it can through the scope . Best of luck to you with what ever you get .

Last edited:
Tell that to guys who work on material solutions.

Joe Private checked his device in to the arms room four months ago without removing the battery. The battery is now dead and the cap is corroded shut. After a long ride in a C17, he is 15 clicks out on the ass end of Taiwan.

SPC Kegstand fell on top of Joe Private while reacting to a far ambush, breaking the germanium lens on his thermal weapon sight. His NODs still work, but his PEQ isn't zeroed.

SGT Mountain Tab never learned holdovers. He directs fire for his SAW gunner, SPC Kegstand. The enemy is engaging from a wooded ridgeline 630 meters away. There is a 14 mph wind from 10 o'clock.