• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sell everything for AIAX MC?

D̷e̷v̷i̷l̷D̷o̷c̷A̷Z̷

Banned x2 🤪
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2014
Yuma, AZ
The further I get into this precision shooting thing the more I find myself wanting an AI rifle. I don't have the cash to drop on the latest and greatest AI but if I sold off all my rifles and scope I sure would.

Has anyone done this and if you have do you regret it?

I really like all my rifles and I like having choices. Do you AI guys really only grab your AI for everything and just switch the barrel to fit your task? Or is it just another rifle you grab when the task at hand calls for it?

I question doing the same thing. A short action AX is just too close to the AXMC price wise to not constantly ponder getting the AXMC magnum chambered. Good excuse to start shooting magnums I guess.

While I don't own the AX, I do own the AT and it's nice to be able to swap consistently. Definitely considering doing the same with a AX for swapping magnums if I ever see the need. Just have a hard time justifying it as with the ranges I shoot the swap between a 260 and 308 has me covered with a small correction for zero between the two barrels.

Depends what your goal is ultimately. The price you pay for an AI isn't solely accuracy - you can get accuracy out of any well designed R700 clone or "retail" package. Sako comes to mind for example. I wouldn't buy on the premise that you'll auto-magically pull it out of the box and shoot 1-hole groups.

If you like the ergonomics then it's a no-brainer honestly. Multi-caliber - for me it's nice but not a deal-breaker honestly. Just my opinion. I own two AXMC's - one as a dedicated 338LM and the other as a dedicated 300WM, plus a post-2014 AX308 that I run as a 260 primarily (and the other AI's in the collection). I wouldn't want "all of the eggs in one basket" so to speak if I didn't have other rifles in my collection.

For some, it's a perfect opportunity to have a single platform with a single high-end optic, etc. Data management (especially zero management) become especially important if you want a truly flexible system that is "on-demand" with any caliber at any time.

I thought the same thing when I bought my DTA. One rifle for everything and sell my others. Although the DTA did everything I wanted it to, I still found myself reluctant to sell my other rifles simply because I like them too. Variety is the spice of life. I'm afraid I would get bored with shooting if I only had one platform.

I guess my ultimate goal is to have a multi caliber rifle and they just really appeal to me on many levels.

I have a trued R700 that shoots awesome groups. I also have a surgeon that is amazing. But they still leave me wanting an AI.

I torally get what you are saying about putting all my eggs in one basket.

I appreciate the feedback.

I only sell things I don't use. You'll eventually find this whole one rifle for everything concept to be a unicorn. It sounds great in concept, but in application, just doesn't translate well. I have different rifles for different needs and most times, those needs are mutually exclusive. I always found a shortcoming in one area or another compared to a rifle that has a dedicated purpose.

I would not buy an AXMC for primarily a short action cartridge and I would not buy an AX because the price is so close to the long action price. An ideal combo for me would be an MC and AT.

I sold some 308 bolts and gas guns to fund an AT. Happy with my choice. I don't get the switch barrel thing, I went for the AI because I like the ease of replacing shot out barrels. If you shop around you could probably get an AT for what you sell your 700 and surgeon for.

I recently went through what you are thinking of doing.

over the course of about 4 or 5 years I built/sold/built/sold rifles looking for what I wanted. Through my build/sell phase the only chassis I'd truly be happy with is another AI AX chassis (2014+ model). I also loved my tempest action with its 60deg bolt and AW mag compatibility. I had rifles from 18#s down to 14#s and much preferred the 17# area. Triggers I've used single stage and 2 stage and found as long as the break is crisp I had no preference for either. Now instead of converting 3 of my rifles to match those criteria it was much more economical to sell off my 3 rifles and optics and buy an AX308 with 2 other barrels and stick with one optic.

I don't have at this time more than 1500yrds to shoot and a good 6 or 6.5 round will satisfy that range just fine so I didn't need the AXMC. If I do ever get more range consistently I'd be ok with building a purpose built ELR rifle and still not feel a want for the AXMC.

So at this time I only have 1 precision AR, 1 .22lr trainer, 1 .223 (was my first rifle and will never be sold), and the AX308.

If you know the AT/AX type chassis is something you really feel comfortable with and the trigger and weight are OK with you I don't think you will regret it. Only choice from here is if you want the long action AXMC or the short action AX308.

If you are still trying out different things you like or don't like the AX/AT stocks you have DTA or the option to sell it all, buy a custom action with no integral recoil lug, buy the West Texas Ordnance (right company?) switch barrel recoil lug and enjoy a switch barrel Remington 700 you don't have to pull out of a stock to change the barrel.

Just my train of thought...

I tried doing a switch barrel a few years ago in 243/.308, what ended up happening is that i wanted to shoot both at the same time. I ended up buying another action so i could swith back & forth between the two easier than changing barrels out at the range with a vise. Ok switching barrels on the new AI's are easy enough but what happens when one gets hot & you want to switch the barrel. Do you wear gloves & switch it out or do you wait until it cools to switch it out? I am not patient enough to wait until it cools. My AW is old so no quick change barrel. I use different rifles for different purposes, most are in different calibers for the various uses. Most of them are in a AICS chassis with the same scopes to avoid getting behind a different platform.

Not exactly the same, but I sold all the other rifles after I picked up my DTA. Then I recently picked up a scar 17 for my swimming auto needs. Other than that I'm not really wanting more, or less.

Covert is as Covert does.

Plenty of good feedback on the scout site.

I would get the AI. Every man should have one high end precision rifle, one ar15 "colt" and a few hand guns. That's it. I found that I just buy what I'll use. I don't need 5 rifles when two will do everything you need. That is, unless you have money to blow, then yes, go for it

I sold all of my rifles and bought an AXMC and I have not regretted it one iota. I love the idea of one platform with multiple caliber capability. I am currently running it as a 338LM and a 308. It serves my needs well.

I love my AXMC. Worth the upgrade. Downside can't shoot lapua brass if you want a small rifle primer option unless you pay a smith to bush a bolt and pin (you'd need an extra then to run the long action).

I have an AW and TRG with action wrenches and barrels I can swap. I have also owned multi-caliber like the DTA. I found that switching calibers was a pain because of the need to re-check zeroes and the thought that my rifle was never "stable" and just ready to go. There were too many variables moving around with barrels, scope adjustments, load variances, etc. and my shooting suffered as a result.

I now have a long action and short action precision rifle in respective calibers and just grab which one I want to shoot and know it's ready to go without any hassle. I shoot better knowing that the rifles in my safe are setup for a particular caliber and load. I don't have to think back to whether I had mucked with them the last time I was at the range, etc.

So to answer your question, I'd rather have two precision rifles in two action lengths that are stable and ready to roll than one rifle trying to do everything.

I have an AW and TRG with action wrenches and barrels I can swap. I have also owned multi-caliber like the DTA. I found that switching calibers was a pain because of the need to re-check zeroes and the thought that my rifle was never "stable" and just ready to go. There were too many variables moving around with barrels, scope adjustments, load variances, etc. and my shooting suffered as a result.

I now have a long action and short action precision rifle in respective calibers and just grab which one I want to shoot and know it's ready to go without any hassle. I shoot better knowing that the rifles in my safe are setup for a particular caliber and load. I don't have to think back to whether I had mucked with them the last time I was at the range, etc.

So to answer your question, I'd rather have two precision rifles in two action lengths that are stable and ready to roll than one rifle trying to do everything.

This is one of the main reasons I am holding off. Right now if I want to shoot 223 I grab my 223, ammo and off I go. I don't have to fart around w remembering where my zero is or if I put things back the last time.

If I want to shoot 243 then I grab my 243 and off I go. No mess or fuss.

I cant even understand how I would keep track of zero if I'm fooling around w 2+ cartridges.

I do appreciate the feedback from everyone. I guess in the end I'll have to decide if I really want to own a rifle that cost that much.

My AXMC is usually off by 0.1 mills when I go from a magnum bolt to a short action bolt. Two rounds and I have my zero back.

A wise man once told me "two is better than one". I did this when I bought my DTA. I thought having one multi-cal rifle and one optic would be great and almost frugal. Well, I was wrong. My DTA is now my 338 Lapua and I bought an AIAT for my competition/short action rig.

I think you must ultimately decide what jobs you're gonna do. If you're shooting PRS style comps then the AXMC isn't optimal. But, if you're gonna mainly shoot magnums for ELR or prone hunting it may make perfect sense.

I shoot a lot, so if something were to happen like a scope going down or one of the rifles needs work, I always have a back up. Plus the convenience of having two rifles on a "range day" is nice to let barrels cool down.

Last edited:
The further I get into this precision shooting thing the more I find myself wanting an AI rifle. I don't have the cash to drop on the latest and greatest AI but if I sold off all my rifles and scope I sure would.

Has anyone done this and if you have do you regret it?

I really like all my rifles and I like having choices. Do you AI guys really only grab your AI for everything and just switch the barrel to fit your task? Or is it just another rifle you grab when the task at hand calls for it?

I don't grab for my AI at all anymore,...its rare it gets taken out. There are simply better platforms at less money. In regard to barrel change,..never felt the need as I take whats required for the task in hand.

I think the question can really be asked about any switch-caliber option, and it really comes down to what you truly use your collection for. Find your needs, fill your needs, then fulfill your wants.

I bought my DT because the 6.5 creed will be my "home" barrel that stays there the most. If I NEED the power, then I can swap in the .300 win mag, reset my scope to the recorded zero, and I can go knock down that Elk with ease. If I want to shoot way past 1k, I can switch to the .300 win mag and go. Same for if I decide i want to shoot ELR. Most of my shooting will still be with the 6.5 though, so why would I want another 3k+ (action, scope, trigger) wrapped up in a 300 win mag rifle that rarely gets used. I have my 1 precision rifle that will always feel comfortable with the same trigger and optic regardless of caliber. I have my precision AR for my semi fun. I have my .17 for the small game and rimfire stuff. Then I have a budget .308 R700 sitting in my closet for some cheap plinking or teaching a friend to shoot. I have my set purposes, so my collection covers those basics.

If you find the AI will fill your needs that one or more other rifles currently fill, then it might not hurt to make the switch.

I'm trying to decide whether to sell two AI Mk 3's along with the gen one razors mounted on them in order to fund an AXMC. I have a Desert Tech and really like it but there's something about the AI that has me wanting to sell other guns/optics to pay for it.

A couple of buddies have an axmc. The only downside I see, is that it's a pig of a gun. But it's also pretty nice to take one platform to the range and shoot multiple calibers. Keep you poi shift between Barrels documented and you'll be fine.

I didn't sell everything to fund my AXMC, but I did sell my DT setup to buy it. I run a 338L, 300 Norma and 6.5CM. All 3 impact identically @ 100 yards for elevation. I have the 300N setup to be spot on as primary windage zero. The 6.5CM is R .2 mil, the 338L zeros at L .5 mil. I switch barrels often and have found it consistent. I do have other rifles, but shoot the AXMC as my go to bolt gun. No regrets here. Everyone has different preferences. It is great to have choices.

Check out the Blaser R8 Professional Success. It's quite a good design, and personally I think it's one of the coolest looking rifles out. It's light, straight pull, and switch barrel from 223 to 338LM. They also have a GRS stock version which may be even more suitable.

The AI and DT are a bit heavy for a "Do-all" rifle, the DT does carry it much better though, and has the weight advantage.

Check out the Blaser R8 Professional Success. It's quite a good design, and personally I think it's one of the coolest looking rifles out. It's light, straight pull, and switch barrel from 223 to 338LM. They also have a GRS stock version which may be even more suitable.

The AI and DT are a bit heavy for a "Do-all" rifle, the DT does carry it much better though, and has the weight advantage.

I don't think I'll be going down the rabbit hole on anything other than the AI at this point.....if I go w the AI at all.

The Blaser R8 wouldn't cut it in PRS, however it is a great system fo everything else in my experience. I have owned on for years and it is my LW mountain rifle packing or horse scabbard. Like the AI's it will function in any conditions. I hunt/shoot in weather that is at times very tough on a firearm. My Blaser setup currently sports a 21" barrel, 300 Win with. A TBAC 7" ultra running 190's @ 2850. Since I do not compete, the AXMC is my fun gun for precision hunting where I just setup 5 miles or less from my truck or shooting LR/ELR steel for fun. However, the reality is that I have made plenty of successful hits with the Blaser out to 800 plus as the AXMC. Two different animals for sure, but for functionality/accuracy/repeatability (barrel/scope swaps) the Blaser is is every bit as precise as the AXMC, it just isn't a tactical looking weapon. If I need to do some hunts that may require quick throw the pack down and shoot now techniques the Blaser is the way to go for me (or my 63 year old '94 30-30). For setting up, ambush type hunting (which I do often) The weight is a plus is my go to system.

Attachments

• photo46368.jpg
    photo46368.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 36
  • photo47707.jpg
    photo47707.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 39
  • photo47708.jpg
    photo47708.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 30
More and more I think the only two bolt gun a man needs are an AXMC and AX short action with multiple barrels available.

I cant even understand how I would keep track of zero if I'm fooling around w 2+ cartridges.

With the ballistic programs on the market now, it is quite simple to input your values for each combination and go. With the DTA the return to zero is excellent, and using Trasol, I have adjusted zeros for each caliber and load combination. Very simple and repeatable, but yes, you do have to keep track of what combo you are using. I'm sure the other quick caliber change platforms are similar.

I have just 2 bolt actions now, my AXMC with all three bolts with a TT scope and a lightweight Kimber rifle for hunting. I don't waste time looking for other stuff anymore which is nice.

I don't grab for my AI at all anymore,...its rare it gets taken out. There are simply better platforms at less money. In regard to barrel change,..never felt the need as I take whats required for the task in hand.

Interested in learning more about this. An AI is on my wishlist, not necessarily a multi caliber model but a AIAW. Also battling for the top spot on said wish list is a TRG42. What is the "better platform for less money" you have discovered?

I love my AXMC but it's a large chunk of change for something I don't really "need." I bought it because it's cool but now I'm looking to go on an African Safari and might sell it to help fund said trip. I have two comp guns and three long range hunting customs, so the MC is just for banging steel with the 338 and having a back up for my back up in 6.5CM.

It really depends if you want a magnum or short action cartridge. Magnum cartridges deserve expensive setups because of the cost of reloading and required gear to effectively shoot it. If you want a 6.5CM short action look at the savage 10-fcp and drop it into a chassis. 1/3 the price of an AI and shoots 1/2 moa all day factory barrel.

I wanted an AI AW for many years. Kept putting it off and buying custom rifles. I decided to buy and AXMC long action/338 Lapua and liked it so much that I ended up buying the AT and AX308. They are worth every penny. Just remember, the price of steel, labor, inport taxes and other misc taxes never go down. I only watched AI prices as well as other import guns climb.

I have an AIAX (2013 AX308).
At the time I agreed to buy it, I did not realize that the QC barrel option did not appear until 2014. The seller offered to let me back out of the deal, but there were no used AIs with QC barrels being sold (I guess owners must really like them) and the seller was a good guy (a Hide member) so I bought the rifle, plus an action wrench (I already had the barrel vise).
By this time I had learned that there was a small, repeatable, but not insignificant POI shift when changing barrels, decreasing the perceived value (to me) added by being able to change calibers in the field.

I like my AX308 quite a bit (currently wearing a 24" Bartlein barrel chambered in 6.5 CM), but I can't see it being my only rifle. I can't let my friend shoot my .308 if the chassis is tied up 'cause I'm shooting 6.5CM with a switch barrel setup.

Reactions: davidwiz
Dude I sold all of my rifles ( including my DTA) except my AR and shotgun, bought a 2015 ax308 and never regret spending that much.

But beware buy once cry once is bullshit. I can safely say this after buying 3 more precision rifles aside from my AI. My AI is my go to rifle though for competitions but I love guns and want options.

my advice buy a used AI Ax, someone just sold a newer version short action for $5500 a few months back. So they do pop up. Don't like it, sell it, chances are you won't lose much money.

Reactions: Snowcapped
That's not a bad idea. If anyone in Phoenix AZ is willing to let me test drive a few rounds I'd pay you for the ammo or bring whatever you like and let you keep the brass.

Thanks to this thread I think I'm going to try and sell off some rifles to get one.

Sell your Bolt action rifles and buy the AI and master that platform .

The switch barrel concept of the ax has been working for me. I shoot .308,.260, and 6.5cm all in one match using a FAT wrench to tighten the action bolt each barrel change. I also use a h59 or mr4 reticle and know what to adjust for a 100 yard zero for each barrel. It has held very consistsant and I won first place in .308 and second with the 6.5 in the same completion using this method. I feel it has saved me a tremendous amount of money I would have spent on separate rifles and scopes to go on each one. My only concern is the wear on the action bolt and threads continually changing barrels over time.

Would you all do the same with the Cadex Kraken being released?

I'm in the process of trying to sell basically all the rifles that I never use and pick up a MC bolt rifle and I was 100% set on saving towards an AXMC but the Kraken looks to be pretty good from what I can tell.

I've been pondering over this thread for a while now. Even sat down with paper and pen listing out what I had and what I could reasonably get in a quick sale.

Decided to go to the range yesterday and just shoot a few for fun. While looking into the safe trying to figure out what I wanted to shoot that morning, I realized, I enjoyed standing there trying to pick out what I "feel" like that day. Needless to say, after much thought, I think I'll stay where I'm at, for now...

I've kind of scrapped the idea for now because the market sucks right now to try and sell anything and I'm not giving my shit away. I get tired of lowball offers pretty quick so unless I find a dealer willing to take two AIAE MK 3's in on trade I will keep what I have. I will just have to save up and buy one.