• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sell my lefty rifle for a 700 aac?

Elxx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2008
Tucson AZ
So I've got my lefty 700 sps-v. It's a good beginner rifle that I planned on upgrading eventually. I've wanted to cut down the barrel, get it threaded and swap out the <span style="text-decoration: line-through">barrel</span> stock. Pretty standard. Don't need to change the barrel for quite some time.

Looking at the costs, it seems more ideal to just sell the rifle and buy a 700 AAC. Only thing stopping me is the rifle is only a right handed config.

I feel like the answer is obvious, get the righty and man-up. But before I do so, does anyone have any other recommendations?
Has anyone out there ever regret going from a left bolt to a righty?

EDIT: Originally stated I wanted to swap out the barrel, meant to say stock. Sorry for the confusion.

Re: Sell my lefty rifle for a 700 aac?

I'm right handed so I don't know that part of your problem. But I did exactly what you are talking about. Bought a R700 SPS-V and 3 months later the R700 AAC-SD came out. Sold the varmint and got the 700 AAC-SD

The answer is obvious...if you are comfortable shooting the lefty then save your pennies and upgrade the rifle. The AAC has a factory tube and a Hogue Stock. The only thing the factory barrel has going for it over your SPS-V is the rifling (1 in 10") and a shorter length (if that matters). Neither have a blueprinted receiver, which is what you will want to pull the most accuracy out of it. They both have stocks that leave a lot to be desired.

You are going to lose money on that switch and want to upgrade later (at least the stock, if not the barrel). Save your pennies and true up the action when you rebarrel. Chances of you gaining much accuracy are negligible. By the time you can outshoot your current rifle you will have the funds to build a custom out of it.

1. Invest your money a bit more wisely and join the training forum on the site.
2. With the money you didn't piss away selling the SPS at a loss - buy some ammo.
3. Go shoot employing what you learned on the training forum
4. Get better
5. Shoot the barrel out
6. Upgrade the components at that point

I will say it again; the AAC is a marginal upgrade over the SPS. Save yourself some money in the long run.

Josh

I keep a RH rifle, actually two Savage target action guns that I built, for RH friends that come over to shoot. Otherwise I sold my two custom RH Rem700's to build lefty's. Sorry but I don't buy the hype that its easier for a lefty to shoot a RH gun. If that was true you'd see a lot more righty's shooting LH rifles. Much easier for me to stay with LH rifles.

for an equivalent cost you could send your varmint off to short action customs, have the barrel cut back and threaded AND have the action/bolt blueprinted and have a better shooting left handed rifle/