• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Sell P238 in favor of J frame 38spl?

mtm87tx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2006
Texas
I just got a new P238 and I really like the little gun. Alot more features and quality then many pocket 380s on the market. But as I carry It im wondering about 380 and its effectiveness.

Will a 5 round 38 special in the same size package deliver more power for the size or are the golden sabor 380 rounds im running be enough to get me out of a bad situation.

I dont carry to be rambo and I carried a commander 1911 for years but as time goes on and laziness comes in I found myself not carrying due to the hassle of a 40oz pistol.

I like the idea of the P238 and its the only 380 I would want to carry due to safety and good sights for something dropped into a pocket.

On the a side not I like the accuracy obtained by the p238 since 10-15 yard body shots are easily obtained in calm situations. Something I question with the DAO 38's

Re: Sell P238 in favor of J frame 38spl?

I think the 380 is powerful enough for a carry gun. I can't count the cop/fisrt 48/crime scene type shows I've seen that a 380 was the gun used to kill. But nothing will replace shot placement. I own a LCP and a few da 38's (there not dao guns) when I pratice with them I pull and fired in the da mode and I place all 5 or 6 shots to the center mass as quickly as possible. Now saying this when I carry a small pistol it been my LCP over my revolvers (mainly cause my mom carries my S&W M60) here lately. Most of the time I carry a fullsized 1911 TRP but if I have to go to a place where I don't want the 1911 to print or be touched by others say if have hugs come out.

The best line of thinking for what to carry is what you shot best and are most comfortable with. It most run with question.

Yes the 380 is hugely popular right now for 2 reasons. 1. 380 ammo has come a long way in effectiveness but so have all other defensive pistol rounds. 2. there are several really small pistols chambered for it. However, the P238 isnt really one of them. Last time I checked, it was about the size of the Walther PPK.

I understand there is way more stopping power per round of 38spl +P than 380acp. I will look it up tomorrow. Learning to shoot a J frame revolver takes time and practice but I'd carry 5 rounds of it vs 7 rounds of 380 any day, and did so for 20 years off duty. We always carried the +P semi wadcutter hollow points.

For a CC weapon, first you need a weapon that will work every time. Second, you need to be accurate and confident with it. It is my belief that I will never need my carry. However, if I do need it, it will be very close range (probably 0-10 feet) in a hurry. For one perp, a few rounds of ammo is great. But when the numbers go up, more in the chamber is better.

I really like the "it's only a .380" arguement. I don't want to be shot by anything, not even a .22. Shot placement is key with any handgun (except the Judge with .410). In the end, I will carry with an easy to carry gun. The easier it is to carry in all conditions, the better. In that aspect, The P238 will probably win. Only you know if that weapon is reliable. I don't have the P238 because I don't like the "locked and cocked" method of carry. I do like the DA/SA of my PPK.

I have a S&W 340sc (.357 mag), and sometimes I wish I had the P238. The cylinder of the 340 shows to easily when it's in my pocket. The only upside to the 340 scandium model is that they way 14oz with 5x Hornady .357 XTP's in it.

SS

I would not carry a .380 with hollow points as my carry gun. I do, very rarely, carry a polish p-64. When I do, I use FMJs.

I think you'll find that a J frame or LCR makes for a far better carry gun than the 238.

From what i have seen and felt the p238 is no bigger than a LCP or keltec. its actually quite thinner then a 38spl as well.

Where is the theory behind no hollow points in a 380 come from? is this internet myth or is it proven science? i have heard it before but im not sure what its based on

touching on the "cocked and locked method" the p238 pull is just about as heavy as any pocket 380 i say. just because its "cocked" i dont see how that makes any difference when you have a round in the pipe of your keltec/LCP anyways. the safety is a nice feature for us 1911 fans

If your J-frame prints in your pants - get a better holster or a different cut of pants.

One of the things I like most about J-frames is ability to safely go 'Mexican' with a fully loaded weapon.

Reloads take practice. Strips are best. 4 on the strip loads fastest.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes the 380 is hugely popular right now for 2 reasons. 1. 380 ammo has come a long way in effectiveness but so have all other defensive pistol rounds. 2. there are several really small pistols chambered for it. However, the P238 isnt really one of them. Last time I checked, it was about the size of the Walther PPK.

I understand there is way more stopping power per round of 38spl +P than 380acp. I will look it up tomorrow. Learning to shoot a J frame revolver takes time and practice but I'd carry 5 rounds of it vs 7 rounds of 380 any day, and did so for 20 years off duty. We always carried the +P semi wadcutter hollow points.

</div></div>

It may be the size of a PPK, but it's considerably lighter, and easier to shoot accurately IMO.

I've been trading off between a scandium J-frame and a Kel-Tec PF9. Personally I don't usually carry a reload, but it's worth keeping in mind that the P238 is going to be lightyears faster to reload in all likelihood than a J-frame. As a lefty, I came to the conclusion that there was just no chance I'd ever be able to perform a speed reload on a revolver under stress in any sort of survivable timeframe (<10 seconds).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Where is the theory behind no hollow points in a 380 come from? is this internet myth or is it proven science? </div></div>

I've taken courses and studied the philosophy of science and I still don't know what "proven science" is. It is common knowledge that underpowered cartridges from blowback guns lack penetration and that FMJs penetrate more. Whether the penetration will be sufficient from a hollowpoint bullet design depends on the facts of your particular shooting, which you won't know until it's over.

If you want to take the chance that it'll be insufficient, be my guest--it's your life. Penetration is the biggest factor in stopping power, and I'm not willing to sacrifice that for anything else when I'm already carrying an under powered cartridge to begin with.

Then again, I don't carry a .380 either. I do have a 9x18 but I rarely even carry that.