• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Selling a Rifle on SH - Questions on shipping and Payment

artofthepoint

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2022
OHIO
Hi Guys, I wasn't sure where to post this but please feel free to move this if there is a better place. Just curious I have a rifle I am considering selling and in the past I have never had an issue (not here on other boards) selling and shipping to an FFL through UPS or Fed X- Now I see neither one permits an individual to ship directly to an FFL- I do see USPS still says they will allow rifles to be shipped to a registered FFL holder. Has anyone had any recent problems shipping through USPS? I always include my DL and copy of the FFL where it is being shipped to in the Box. I did check and my FFL is willing to ship to another FFL for $150.00 + shipping, I would rather not do this.

Also I have never had a problem using PP FF (being discreate) but last time I tried to sell something I had several members say it is illegal to use PP for any firearms or related items. I guess the other alternative is asking for a check and waiting for it to clear? then shipping- but that is a pain for both parties. Just curious what other options?

I always ship firearms FFL to FFL as they understand the laws and always are ultimately responsible of the item gets lost.

$150 PLUS shipping is a ripoff. My FFL charges $50 plus actual shipping charges/insurance.

I use EFT for payment of firearms transactions. Once the sending FFL has the firearm logged, the seller cannot pull the rifle back. You want to ensure via direct conversation with the sender’s FFL that the firearm is in his possession and logged before you wire the funds. Your bank will confirm delivery of the funds to the recipient and you can provide that proof to the FFL should the seller try to be shady.

Always has worked flawlessly for me

Last edited:
Find a different FFL that will ship for a reasonable charge.
Do keep in mind if you are not providing a hard case to ship in along with a proper single piece box that the hard case goes in, the store would need to provide those for shipping and that adds cost.

You can use PP F&F however if something goes wrong or PP gets pissy you do run the risk of having your account shut down and PP being a little bitch and holding on to your money for a long time. PP goods and services is no better since it would be the same mess.

You can use money transfer services such as Zelle or such if your bank and theirs support it.

You can also take postal money orders, bank checks or personal checks, but each has different rules on how long it takes to clear.
If doing postal money orders, go to the post office and use the money orders you got to buy new blank money orders and then go deposit those money orders that you just bought made out from you to you, into your bank account. (the post office will never have enough cash).
You can also do bank transfers but most folks will probably not want to do the hassle.
With bank checks you'll need to wait the better part of a week to be sure they are legit and personal checks you need 2 weeks minimum to make sure they clear.

Don't be in such a hurry for a sale that you let the "buyer" talk you into some payment method or other stuff that you are not comfortable with.
Most "escrow" services are rip-offs for the seller and should be avoided.

If you can, talk with the buyer on the phone and / or do a video call with them and that will often give you a very good idea of the type of person you are dealing with.

If you aren't comfortable with a buyer or the transaction, feel free to walk away and simply move on to relisting or selling it to someone else.

Make sure the rifle is shipped with full insurance for the amount you are selling it for.

Clearly communicate to the prospective buyer what your return policy would be and if there is any inspection period and if they would be required to send the rifle back before any refund is given etc. most folks are decent but there are a lot of raging assholes who like to bully sellers and just think because they are the buyer they can be a raging asshole and screw everybody over as much as they want.

All that being said.
If this is a rifle that might sell well locally, consider asking around if any of the local stores will do consignment rifle sales and if so their percentage.
My local gun store sells most everything on consignment and takes 15% of the proceeds.
I've sold a lot of stuff there as it's so much less hassle than dealing with folks in the PX and usually I get a higher price for the stuff that easily covers the 15% fee.

Buy postage online, present it to USPS as a firearm and show them FFL copy it’s going to, and tell your douchebag FFL that charges $150 + shipping for an outbound to eat a fat dick. My last FFL wouldn’t even charge me to ship a gun out through their books, at most is should cost a normal transfer fee of $20–$30.

I have shipped a hojillion rifles as a non-FFL via USPS. It could hardly be easier. Just have to declare it and inform them it is going to a licensee. 90% of the time they don't even ask me to fill out the little slip they have. Your FFL is a douche canoe asking $150, if you have a choice you should never give that place your business again.

I ship guns out most every day. The FFL charging $150 to ship your rifle clearly does not want your business. Take it to someone who does want your business.

CHECKS: I do not take credit cards, and I don't deal in any of that electronic payment crap. Checks and money orders. I don't have a problem with personal checks. In fact, I'm more comfortable with a personal check than I am with those funky gas station or supermarket MOs that say right on them to not trust them unless you know the oerson who gave them to you. This business of waiting 2 weeks for a check to clear is very outdated. With the changes at least a decade ago to how banks process checks, the thing should clear in no more than 3 business days. I ship most everything next day. Never a problem. I can get a pretty good idea of a check just by looking at it. Not foolproof, but there are signs. If I do hold shipping something, it usually isn't for more than a few days. Some people require payment only in USPS MOs. The good thing about them is that they all look alike, versus bank checks or MOs that you have no idea what they're supposed to look like and that are usually impossible to confirm.

Reactions: artofthepoint
I have shipped a hojillion rifles as a non-FFL via USPS. It could hardly be easier. Just have to declare it and inform them it is going to a licensee. 90% of the time they don't even ask me to fill out the little slip they have. Your FFL is a douche canoe asking $150, if you have a choice you should never give that place your business again.
Have you done this recently? I believe USPS rules have changed. If the form you are referring to is the Form 1508, that form certifies you are a dealer or manufacturer of firearms. If not 1508, what form are you referring to?

Yes I mail rifles like 4-8 times per year for SBR engraving, custom work, etc. In the past there was a little slip of paper I was sometimes asked to fill out attesting that I was complying with the mail rules or some such but that hasn’t happened in a long time so maybe it is no longer required. Non-FFLs can certainly still freely mail long guns to FFLs or themselves.

Usps all the way. Super easy. Insure fully and make sure signature is required by receiver, which should be the FFL obviously.

I’ve dodged the bullet on payment stuff but I don’t feel good about PayPal on any amount I cannot afford to forfeit either sending or receiving. They suck. I guess USPS money order and tell the sender to insure it for the full amount of the checks inside. That way he’s protected if you claim you don’t receive the funds.

Edit: USPS counter people should tel you this, but you must keep your receipt. Having the tracking number if something happens does not allow you to file a claim. Keep that receipt like it’s worth every penny of whatever your item was worth. Only trash it once you get confirmation item was received, verified as in working order as sold, and you’ve got money in your account free and clear.

I am beside myself that UPS and FedEx stopped allowing individuals to ship firearms to FFLs, but a department of the federal government (USPS) still does allow it, at least for long guns. I would have thought USPS would have made that policy long before the other two. Anyways, I haven't shipped since UPS changed that policy, but yeah, $150 is insane. I once paid a dealer to mail for me, he charged $20 (his normal transfer fee) plus actual shipping charges. Since then I've just done it on my own, pretty simple, or at least it was. I do believe you'll pay more for shipping with USPS, especially now that they have that 30" overlength fee, but that may offset with a dealer's fee to ship using UPS.