• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Selling guns at Cabelas

GardDog

LT
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2009
New Orleans
I'm pondering thinning the herd and was wondering if anyone had personal experience selling some of their used guns to Cabelas? Was their offered price worth reasonable? I've sold some online, but I'd rather try another approach.

Re: Selling guns at Cabelas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm pondering thinning the herd and was wondering if anyone had personal experience selling some of their used guns to Cabelas? Was their offered price worth reasonable? I've sold some online, but I'd rather try another approach. </div></div>

Like any other merchant, Cabela's is looking to "buy low/sell high", and their offers will be geared to that. Youll do much better if you list them here. Ive found that most of the guys here are willing to pay a fair price for a fair deal. Ive had nothing but good fair deals here, and have made a couple of buddys in doing them. Another option is <span style="text-decoration: underline">Texas Gun Trader </span>. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like any other merchant, Cabela's is looking to "buy low/sell high", and their offers will be geared to that.</div></div>

BIG +1!!

I took a couple different items in to my "local" Cabelas (a little over an hour away in Wheeling, WV) about a year or so ago just to see what kind of pricing they'd give me. They were things I was considering selling anyway and I figured that as much as they seem to charge for both new and used firearms, they might be overpaying (or at least paying top dollar) for them upfront. Well...I was WAAAY wrong (duh...should've seen that one coming a mile away)!

The worst example I can give was for a customized Smith & Wesson 2206 Target pistol (.22lr) in like-new condition with original box, paperwork, tools, original grips, 4 magazines and a custom set of Karl Nill adjustable, anatomic match target grips (I've posted pics of it here on the Hide before...its a true beauty). They offered $400 and had the audacity to get offended when I told the manager of their Gun Library he was not playing the same @#$%^&* sport much less being anywhere close to the right ballpark on his price! They more or less did the same lowball stuff with the other items I took in. When I asked the guy to explain how he arrived at the numbers, I was more or less told that "they are what they are" and if I thought something was worth more than what he'd offered that I was free to look elsewhere and see if I could "do a little better." All in all, it was a huge waste of my time and I'd have been pissed had I made the trip without other things to do in the area that day! On the items I ended up selling, I basically doubled the money that Cabelas offered me for them.

Now, as with all things retail/corporate...your mileage may vary quite a bit (particularly if you get a good manager or gun library guy or if it just happens to be something that you can agree on a fair price for it).

Note, Cabela's also accepts quality consignments, that might be a way to sell a high value firearm. In my recent buy from Cabela's this month, extremely pleased to be on the "buying" end of the counter, a nice German target rifle @ Blue Book price and 36X Leupold BR scope, like f r e e.......xray9

Cabela's will deal most fairly when they're hurting for business. Here, it's right at the middle of the lull between the holiday season and trout/spring gobbler, like late February/early March, which is when I turned a shot-out S&W 6906, a Beretta 3032, and $100 into a gently used, bone-stock Bushmaster AR15. Otherwise, I tend to deal elsewhere on trades, or try to do forum sales locally. Occasionally you can go in and find something that fell through the cracks on pricing, but not often. Otherwise, it's just kettlecorn for the wife and window-shopping for me.

I learned a long time ago not to sell guns to people who expect to make a living from reselling them. I have sold almost all of my guns online, mostly through forums like this one or through the various auction sites. Unless you need the money ricky-tick, I would list them at forums first, then GunTrader, then the auction sites.

I sold one gun to Cabela's only because I was trading it toward another gun that I wanted. Fortunately, the gun I was trading for was used, so they were able to work me a decent deal. Still, I know I could have gotten more for it selling to an interested individual.

Thanks for the input. I have sold several guns in the past on this site and at my buddy's gunshop on consignment. I was mulling over giving Cabelas a try, but I might try elsewhere first. Thanks.

Cabellas sure as heck doesnt sell on the low,they want FULL price and more for everything they have in there gun library.
Just another rip-off gun dealer.