• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Selling Hi-Cap Handguns to states with Hi-Cap magazine restrictions.

Ankeny

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2009
I am confused. I have a hi-cap Wilson for sale in the classified ads. I have had two buyers from California offer to buy the gun. The most recent offer indicated I wouldn't need a copy of the receiving FFL because they accept from individuals. Seems odd. Anyhow, there are currently 10 states with some form of mag restrictions. What should I do? Would it be reasonable to just refuse to sell to those 10 states?

I am not an FFL, but this may be as easy as looking into what is called California Legal Pistols and yours may not fly.
Last I knew, any sale going in is FFL to FFL, and your shipping FFL needs to fill out a form to do so. I won't call it registering, PIA but minor one.

Reactions: lash and Maggot
I would not ship a pistol to CA as an individual, bad move fuck what the buyer says.

Contact the receiving FFL and ask them, I believe that if they have a hi capacity magazine permit they can accept the
magazines and only transfer them to an exempt party.

Worst case your FFL ships only the pistol.

Large capacity magazines may be manufactured for any federal, state, or local government or law enforcement agency, the military, or for use by agency employees in the discharge of their official duties, whether on or off duty.11 Large capacity magazines may also be purchased or loaned for the sole use as a motion picture, television or video prop.12 Such magazines may also be resold to law enforcement agencies, government agencies, or the military, pursuant to applicable federal regulations

Reactions: DIBBS and lash
First of all the mag ban does not extend to the firearm itself. User can use a reduced capacity mag in a full sized pistol.
Second, CA has a handgun roster, it the pistol is not on the roster you cannot import it unless you move to CA first.

I would contact their FFL, we will agree with the above statements, but he may accept firearms from individuals.

Third, this may all become moot as these commie state bans are about to be declared unlawful.

Another reason to go FFL to FFL... Unless the buyer is LE and can use their LE exemption, if that Wilson model isn't on the CA handgun safety roster the buyer isn't going to be able to DROS it once it arrives. (Receiving FFL used to be able to temporarily convert off roster semi auto pistols to long barrel single shot for the dros and 10 day waiting period to get around the CA safety roster, but you can't do that anymore.)

If the receiving FFL has a hi cap mag permit (most do, but verify) then you can have your FFL ship everything to the CA FFL. If the buyer can't DROS it because it's not on the roster and they don't have an LE exemption and you specifically asked them about it before shipping, I wouldn't refund them... I would tell them the transaction between you and them is concluded and now it's their responsibility to let their local FFL resell it for them in their LE only display case (most dealers here have those.)

Last edited:
Simple send to FFL without mag......

I have to do that everytime I buy a "hi-cap" gun. I'll have to call who I bought it from and they take mag out of box and send gun ....

It's that's easy

Doc

There is legal precedent that enables feds to entrap you. I’ve listened to and read stories of CA cops staking out Nevada and Arizona sporting goods stores to flag CA plates to be stopped and searched for mags at the state border. I truely feel for those that can’t leave that god forsaken shithole of a state, and I know many that just don’t comply, but putting yourself on record for illegal firearm transfer only makes you a target for a bootlicking cop. Do yourself a favor and avoid selling to CA. There is always a work-around.

30rd mags are illegal in CO, however stores sell mag "rebuild" kits that are 30rd mags disassembled.

Doc

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
1. you must go FFL to FFL.

2. you can NOT sell or transfer an off roster handgun (unless its direct relative son/ father) In case you dont know what off roster means California has an approved list of handguns legal to buy and sell in the state. the receiving FFL will verify and deny the transfer.

I am confused. I have a hi-cap Wilson for sale in the classified ads. I have had two buyers from California offer to buy the gun. The most recent offer indicated I wouldn't need a copy of the receiving FFL because they accept from individuals. Seems odd. Anyhow, there are currently 10 states with some form of mag restrictions. What should I do? Would it be reasonable to just refuse to sell to those 10 states?

Mag capacity restrictions/approved handgun roster restrictions are not legally your problem. They are the buyer's problem.

If I am mailing/shipping a firearm to an FFL, I will not do so without verifying who they are. Period, end of story.

1. you must go FFL to FFL.

2. you can NOT sell or transfer an off roster handgun (unless its direct relative son/ father) In case you dont know what off roster means California has an approved list of handguns legal to buy and sell in the state. the receiving FFL will verify and deny the transfer.

Number 1 is not binding on the seller. If the receiving FFL wants or needs to receive the gun from another FFL, buyer fronts the cost for the seller.

Number 2 is not binding on the seller. It's the buyer's responsibility to make sure that requirement is met. As long as I get my money and the receiving FFL accepts it, my job as a seller in a different state is done.

Sellers outside CA aren't bound by CA law.

Best way to proceed is to go FFL to FFL. In CA cops can buy off roster guns and bad magazines.

Number 1 is not binding on the seller. If the receiving FFL wants or needs to receive the gun from another FFL, buyer fronts the cost for the seller.

Number 2 is not binding on the seller. It's the buyer's responsibility to make sure that requirement is met. As long as I get my money and the receiving FFL accepts it, my job as a seller in a different state is done.

Sellers outside CA aren't bound by CA law.
yeah, maybe so but its a huge headache. selling someone something that you cant actually ship to them. you might get to your LGS and they refuse to recive it. then what? somone paid you for something you cant actually deliver.

belive me I've gone through this several times before.

I dont think you can find an FFL in CA that will receive a firearm from a private party.

There are still a few that will (last rifle I bought from here about 2 years ago was shipped as an individual, but the receiving FFL is a good friend.) Most dealers here don't like to do it because there's extra paperwork for them to do when it arrives from an individual.

Unfortunately sending FFL to FFL requires that the shipping FFL sign up on the CA DOJ's website and submit a CFLC on the website prior to shipping. It's free and easy and only takes a minute but it's still an extra step and a pain in the ass for the shipping dealer.

The powers that be in this state certainly like to make the process as irritating as possible...

There are still a few that will (last rifle I bought from here about 2 years ago was shipped as an individual, but the receiving FFL is a good friend.) Most dealers here don't like to do it because there's extra paperwork for them to do when it arrives from an individual.

Unfortunately sending FFL to FFL requires that the shipping FFL sign up on the CA DOJ's website and submit a CFLC on the website prior to shipping. It's free and easy and only takes a minute but it's still an extra step and a pain in the ass for the shipping dealer.

The powers that be in this state certainly like to make the process as irritating as possible...
they are definitely the exception.

It's prohibition through regulation.

Reactions: lash

I work in this business and let me say to you quite clearly

DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO CA. ITS NOT WORTH THE HASSLE AND RISK.

As far as the mags go... you're transferring it to an FFL, who should legally be allowed to posses the "standard cap" mags. After that, it's between the FFL and the end user.

The FFL may be pinning them to 10 rounds for the "buyer".
The FFL may be selling them online out of state for the buyer.
The buyer may be LEO exempt.
Either way, not your problem as long as you work it out before hand that you're not refunding the money if the FFL refuses the transfer because of the mags.

As someone who's missed out on tons of sales because the seller is too damn lazy to read, or too damn stupid and invents problems that don't exist, I'll say "please don't be that guy". Ban state folks don't just get fucked by our state government, but also by people who are supposedly on our side as well. We run into it all the time... "no sales to...". Asshole, you're not spiting NJ, NY, CT, MD, IL etc. etc and their "oppression". You're doing exactly what they want, you're a fucking accomplice.

Reactions: 308pirate and lash
What is a "high capacity" magazine? I don't remember reading about them in the 2A.
My M-1911 Switch and Signal uses a "standard" capacity magazine.

M 92F Beretta also uses a "standard" capacity magazine.

I do have a couple different "high" capacity magazines for my 10-22 Ruger.

My M-1928 A1 Deluxe Auto-Ordnance uses three different sizes of "standard" capacity magazines.

A. If it wasn't so complicated, it would be stupid.
B. If it wasn't so stupid, it would be complicated.
Choose one.

Reactions: lash
As someone who's missed out on tons of sales because the seller is too damn lazy to read, or too damn stupid and invents problems that don't exist, I'll say "please don't be that guy". Ban state folks don't just get fucked by our state government, but also by people who are supposedly on our side as well. We run into it all the time... "no sales to...". Asshole, you're not spiting NJ, NY, CT, MD, IL etc. etc and their "oppression". You're doing exactly what they want, you're a fucking accomplice.

When was the last time you and your buddies got together and paid all the legal fees when your local state governments decided to try to put the boots to someone for selling something into one of your unfree states?

Oh right you'll all just cluck your heads and say... oh too bad, I hope it works out for them.

There is a reason intelligent people avoid possible trouble, it's simply not worth:
1. the hassle
2. the worry
3. any potential consequences

Just like at our company we don't ship to anywhere more likely for us to have fraud problems or other hassles from.
Sorry but tough, not worth it.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
its like selling a firearm to someone in another country. North Korea comes to mind.

Wow, look at all this compliance.

1676410127891.png