• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

selling reloading supplies at flea markets?

Ted_D

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2009
Sandpoint Idaho
www.hms.harvard.edu
Is it legal to sell reloading components at flea markets and such? I need to come up with some cash for a project and have extras I can sell. Cant ship the darn things so I figured it would be the next best way to sell them. Every time I set up a ftf sale they dont show.

Re: selling reloading supplies at flea markets?

Flea markets are among the last vestiges of the true free market system. Commercial "envelope pushing" was invented at the flea market's ancester; the bazaar!

Good luck.

I don't know why not. I have purchased a press and gun parts at one.

The man that owns th eFlea market told me I could sell anything but ammo. I have primers and powder that I am going to try and sell if I do it.
This is what I have dug out so far. I need to come up with some prices. The shop closest to me sells primers for $85 a brick and I dont want to let him get any of it

I put it on Spokane Craig's List with a link to the stuff and they flagged it.

wish I was close so I could get some of them LR primers

Yes, you can. Reloaded ammo falls under the Excise Tax for it and to do that you must not only have an FFL 06 (or 07, but IIRC it's an 06) and you have to pay the taxes.

I called the ATF and verified this 2 weeks ago. As long as it's not Black Powder you can sell powder, primers, cases, bullets, primed cases, etc. Once you put case, primer, powder and bullet together it becomes ammo and you can get your ass in a crack.

If you have any further questions I strongly suggest you get on www.atf.gov and look up your local field office and call them.

As much as I don't like their agency, I have to work within the rules and have come under the mindset of "hi, I'd like to do this, can you tell me what legal issue would arise? I don't want to get in trouble, so I'm asking before I do it."

They're generally more than happy to tell you not only the answer to your question, but how any minute changes in that scenario can get you into trouble.

While on this subject; what about the people that are buying large quantities of ammo and reselling at gun shows? From what bohem says above they just need to have BATF find out to get arrested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris112</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While on this subject; what about the people that are buying large quantities of ammo and reselling at gun shows? From what bohem says above they just need to have BATF find out to get arrested. </div></div>

Nope, you have to load the ammo yourself to get in trouble. There's no license required for selling ammo. This is clearly stated in the FAQ's on the ATF's website.

If you personally combine the components from "components" into a "loaded round" and SELL that loaded round you are now acting as a manufacturer and are subject to licensure and excise taxes.

I asked if it was legal to load ammo and mail it to a friend in FL who doesn't have access to equipment in his apartment. That's fine. If he trades it for more loaded ammo, that's ok. If he trades it for components or for money it's sales and I'm culpable as well. Therefore, I promised him that I'd forget who he was if any of the above happened and it was just a good idea to simply shoot what I mailed him, nothing more.

should be someone local to sell them to ??
Help the Brother out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7.62match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ted , i live in yakima wa. what are you trying to sell . carl </div></div>

ys.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You up for shipping some of that RL-22? </div></div>

Sorry if it sells it it is FTF only

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ted_D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You up for shipping some of that RL-22? </div></div>

Sorry if it sells it it is FTF only </div></div>

Gotcha.