• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Semi 308 WIN

Re: Semi 308 WIN

Every platform has its advantages and disadvantages and I certainly don't think that the Armalite is necessarily "the best." It is an excellent rifle that is capable of great reliability and accuracy depending on the ammo/shooter. I have owned an AR-10T for several years and while it doesn't get used as much these days because I have too many other 308 gas guns, it is 3/4 MOA capable with handloads/match ammo and when I am doing my part.

Besides the Armalite AR-10 type rifles, you should also consider the DPMS LR-308 (various configs, etc. depending on your needs).

The primary differences between the two platforms are the mags and the differences in dimensions on the lowers/uppers. The Armalite rifles run Armalite mags only (based off the M14 mags). The DPMS run a different mag setup based off the Knight's Armament SR-25. Unlike Armalite, there are nmumerous sources for mags, including DPMS, KAC, C-Products, and eventually Magpul (likely after the first of the year).

I would pass on the RRA. Not saying that it is a bad rifle, but they are highly proprietary rifles that the "aftermarket" doesn't seem to be interested in supporting. The only real "advantage" (if you want to call it that) is that the RRA uses FAL mags which are plentiful and fairly inexpensive compared to $45 Armalite mags.

As for the Remington R-25, it is based on the DPMS platform, using the same upper/lower/barrel nut/mags/etc. They are fine rifles for the money, but I'd go with a DPMS.

I would also pass on the RR just because it is new to the world.

I started out with a Armalite and it has always treated me well. Some of the first gen mags were touchy especially if they were home builds(like mine)

The newest mags have been getting great reviews and you can buy them direct from Armalite for around 30 bucks.

I would never base my choice on the difference between a 30 dollar mag and a 20 dollar mag. Not when we are talking about guns that cost over 1000 dollars.

The DPMS guns are good guns for the money. They also seem to produce guns a lot faster. As ORD said the Remington is a rebadged DPMS. Unless you want a camo one just get the dpms

AR10
Forged upper and lower receivers, better trigger than a DPMS, chrome lined barrel or stinless (T model) and if you buy from Armalite, lifetime guarantee and excellent customer service. Armalite spent the time and money developing the modern day AR10 while no one else would. DPMS is basically a cheap copycat.

This fanboy argument is funny "Armalite RULES!" or DMPS RULES!" and it gets a little old.

You guys should get Calvin pissing on DPMS (or vise versa) stickers to put on your rifles.

Both have proven to be good guns. Pick on availability of platform, parts and accesories. If you come across an AR10 in the config you want, buy it. If you come accross an LR308 in the config you want, buy it.

You will be well served by either. Neither will live up to their true potential until you have a smith go through it (true of any factory rifle).

As a side note, mag cost is not a huge deal (to me) but mag availability can be.

I have 2 DPMS 308s and they are great! One carbine and another full size 24" fluted bull barrel. You can't comlain about the price or the quality. I would seriously consider DPMS. LaRue just came out with a 308, if it was around when I bought my 308s I might have bought one!

Good Luck!!

its all about triggers and barrels....AR-10T's can have excellent aftermarket triggers installed...while i'm not so certain all models of the DPMS will allow the same abilities ....

i'm a bit partial to the Armalite ...the one i owned and used i could not miss with it out long w/ black hills 175's.
the JP fire control group was a nice touch w/ 3.5lb yellow springs.....

BR,

Have you experienced any light stikes with the yellow spring?

I tried the JP in my LR308 and had to go back to the factory spring for reliability. Eventually the engagement started slipping and it started doubling and I changed to a 2 stage design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am running a Geissele in my DPMS based GAP.

Could not be happier with it. </div></div>

I would love to get my hands on a Geissele but they are spendy.

I run the Armalite 2 stage in several rifles and it works well for my needs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BR,

Have you experienced any light stikes with the yellow spring?

I tried the JP in my LR308 and had to go back to the factory spring for reliability. Eventually the engagement started slipping and it started doubling and I changed to a 2 stage design.</div></div>

i had no issues when i had the gun.........