• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Semi Auto 17 HMR ... is there any options besides Volq?

Shooter_Mc_Gavin

Minuteman
Dec 16, 2013
Thibodaux, La
www.artactical.net
Is there any options as far as buying receiver, parts, etc.... from some dealer's and building your own semi auto 17 HMR, or is it very limited? Also the CZ 455 heavy barrel 17 HMR would everyone agree for a midrange priced rifle it is very good?

I really want a semi auto to hunt nutria on my property to start collecting tails for turn in, and normally I just use my 10/22 I built but I wanted to try a 17 HMR this time, just didn't want a bolt action so much.

Thanks for any help,
Dave

*edit* College kid needs his $5 per tail! I have 1700 Acres and they are everywhere.

Alexander Arms makes a dedicated AR style. Full rifle and upper only. There are a couple threads here regarding it. A little pricy, about 150 tails!

If you can find them, Ruger used to make a 10/22 Magnum, and Butler Creek a kit for .17HMR conversion. Kit was just a stock and heavy barrel. I built one and it ran great, sold it in a fit of stupidity though. I still have a kit, just looking for a 10/22 Magnum.

1911fan

Do not use the ruger option. I have blown up two of them. I almost bought a volquartsen, then read to many things about them as well. The alexander seems like great option. This is a huge void in the gun business and if someone could make one that would run they would be rich.

A friend has a Volquartsen in .17HMR. It's very accurate and works well until the chamber gets a little dirty-- then it has a tendency to rupture cases.

Run a little nylon brush in the chamber every 75-100 rounds or so and it's a good rifle. Forget to keep the chamber clean and you might get some hot gas and brass spat out at your right hand.

I was going to get a Volquartsen .17HMR for myself but after having to pick little pieces of brass out of my hand after a case ruptured while shooting my friends rifle I decided to leave the .17HMR for the bolt rifles and picked up another Sako Quad.

Another safe and fast option, although very expensive, is the new Anschutz 1727F with the straight pull Fortner action.

A friend has a Volquartsen in .17HMR. It's very accurate and works well until the chamber gets a little dirty-- then it has a tendency to rupture cases.

Run a little nylon brush in the chamber every 75-100 rounds or so and it's a good rifle. Forget to keep the chamber clean and you might get some hot gas and brass spat out at your right hand.

I was going to get a Volquartsen .17HMR for myself but after having to pick little pieces of brass out of my hand after a case ruptured while shooting my friends rifle I decided to leave the .17HMR for the bolt rifles and picked up another Sako Quad.

Another safe and fast option, although very expensive, is the new Anschutz 1727F with the straight pull Fortner action.

Yep I'd love one of those 1727F's. So pricey though.

Here is a pic of my Alexander Arms .17 HMR upper. Took me 13 months and lots of terrible customer service to get it. It does shoot outstanding tho! No malfunctions in the first 150 rds. Smooth conversion to my STAG lower. Just change out the buffer and mag retention clip.

The best option here is the Marlin. No longer produced, you gotta find a used one, but way cheaper than the other options so far.

I believe the model number is 717, heavy barrel, wood stock, box mag fed.

Here is a pic of my Alexander Arms .17 HMR upper. Took me 13 months and lots of terrible customer service to get it. It does shoot outstanding tho! No malfunctions in the first 150 rds. Smooth conversion to my STAG lower. Just change out the buffer and mag retention clip.

Right there alone, your first paragraph says it all for me when it comes to purchasing. If it is true ( I am not contesting your situation, just in general with all manufacturers) then they just lost a customer. The longer we are held hostage by gun manufacturers, ammo suppliers, and such, the more they take advantage of the system.

Unfortunately Russ, its very difficult to get a real person to answer at AA. It got better the few weeks before they shipped my upper. Couldve had something to do with the fact they needed my CC number again as the original had expired already. Funny how that works. I went 6 months without so much as one reply to several emails i had sent. Leaving a message on the phone was a joke. Supposedly they have hired more employees to help with demand. My biggest issue was the fact they estimated delivery in 60-90 days. Slightly off by a few months.

Lol, I was joking . They said 60-90 days when I ordered. Got it 13 months later. If they are quoting a year now, they are finally being honest about real times.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I believe that Remington made their model 597 in 17 HMR. I know for certain that they chambered it for. 22 mag, but I believe there was a 17 HMR version as well. To the best of my knowledge, they discontinued the Magnum versions of the 597,and now only make it in 22 lr

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk