• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Semi-Auto 308 WIN

mckelveymx

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2009
Alabama
i am planning my purchase on a 308 semi-auto and i have pretty much decided on an Armalite AR-10T 16" are they worth the extra $ for the 'T'? i will use this rifle as a SASS / battle rifle build (the less it weighs the better). Is Armalite worth the $ compared to DPMS?

Re: Semi-Auto 308 WIN

The Armalite and the DPMS LR-308 type rifles both offer advantages and disadvantages. Both are very capable platforms and either will offer you what you are looking for. What specs are you looking for other than "light" "battle rifle"?

The 16" barreled AR-10T rifles were excellent, accurate (sub-MOA capable), and dependable rifles. However, they were not exactly "lightweight" by most people's definitions. The advantage of the heavy, match grade SS barrel and free-float tube is a big advantage for accuracy purposes, but those options increase weight. For comparison sake...the 10T 16" with proper ammo and shooter is capable of 3/4 MOA accuracy while the 16" AR-10 standard carbines were only guaranteed for 1.5MOA. So you are talking about roughly twice the accuracy potential.

FWIW, Armalite no longer offers the 16" 10T, so if you are looking for one, you are going to have to find one that is NOS, used, or have a an upper made to your specs with a 16" T barrel.

Buy an AR10 carbine and have GAP build you a precision upper. Then you will have the best of both worlds. Besides optics for "battle rifles" and "precision rifles" are usually a bit different.

I've yet to see a DPMS LR rifle disappoint anyone.
I feel that they also have an edge for those who build their own from components.

I just did this, I went with the DPMS Lr-308 Sportical, added a VTac Handguard, A2 Stock and JP rifles Trigger.

Well worth the investment, as time goes forward, I will add a Fulton Arms 18" barrel and call it even.

John

I have built one of those from parts. (FAR.308 Titan)
Here it is:

vsg8l3.jpg

2zfiomw.jpg

I'm going to be selling this soon to fund the next project.