• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Semi auto vs Bolt Action

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
I see a lot of interest in the precision Rimfire matches and have been looking at a few bolt actions like the Tikka and CZ with a chasis. For guys who have shot these matches have you seen any semi auto rifles take the winners podium ? Can a semi auto 10/22!type rifle hold the accuracy that the bolt guns do??

Obviously it comes down to the shooter but mostly you are going to see bolt actions at the top. But if you really want a 10/22 take a look at Kidd rifles coolguyguns.com. You still aren’t going to be able to match the repeatable accuracy of a Vudoo or a really nice CZ but it’s going to be good. Semi can help you on some stages with the speed and staying on target but you also have to engage the safety and call out safe when transitioning between positions.

They each have their place and pro's and con's.

I've had a (highly customized) Ruger 10/22 for over 20 years now. And it's been a phenomenal gun with high-quality parts in it, and high-quality aftermarket barrels. All the internals have been replaced with Valquartsen parts other than the bolt body, and the receiver housing... And for 19 of those 20 years, it wore an original Butler Creek 20" SSM (Stainless Steel Match) grade barrel (back when they were making them in-house in Belgrade, MT) and it was an absolute tack-driver. I only recently removed it from my rifle because I put a Valquartsen carbon fiber 16.5" barrel on it, that has 1/2x28 threads, for my Dead Air Mask HD. I will end up getting the Butler Creek barrel threaded 1/2x28 someday, so I can run it suppressed, as well on another 10/22 build in the future.

I digress... Friday I was able to muster up about a 1.5" 10-shot group at 100 yards with it with the Valquartsen barrel. Which is pretty damn good for a semi-auto and bulk-pack CCI. It also shot a sub-MOA 3-shot group as well with the same ammo, and I regularly take it out to 200 yards to hit the 6" gongs on the challenge tree. I'm pleased with it's performance.

Friday I also took my new Christensen Arms Ranger 22 (bolt-action) to the range for 100 yard zero, and group testing. Checkout my latest thread with pictures and measurements on the groups from Friday. Needless to say, I'm more than impressed with the performance. I also like that it uses Ruger 10/22 mags, and Rem 700 triggers. It ships factory with a TriggerTech 700 trigger in it adjustable from 3.5-5.0 lbs. I've got mine as low as it will go, zero creep.

Reactions: deltawiskey
I see a lot of interest in the precision Rimfire matches and have been looking at a few bolt actions like the Tikka and CZ with a chasis. For guys who have shot these matches have you seen any semi auto rifles take the winners podium ? Can a semi auto 10/22!type rifle hold the accuracy that the bolt guns do??
No. Mine is all Kidd parts except the action, it shoots some really nice groups, but your going to get flyers and they fall apart beyond 100 yards. Target ammo will have reliability issues. I think the chamber is the limiting factor in the accuracy department.

I have a Kidd Supergrade, Tikka T1X, and a Bergara B14R. all three will shoot sub MOA out to 200 yds with good ammo. The semi auto's does have advantages in speed, but also can have problems with malfunctions, when dirty, or cold weather. My goto is the Bergara.
Mark

I have a Kidd Supergrade, Tikka T1X, and a Bergara B14R. all three will shoot sub MOA out to 200 yds with good ammo. The semi auto's does have advantages in speed, but also can have problems with malfunctions, when dirty, or cold weather. My goto is the Bergara.
Mark
I really am starting to think that with .22LR's its all about the chamber (you want a Bentz Match chamber) and the ammo. Find the ammo it likes, and stick with it. That's what I'm doing. Luckily all my .22's shoot really good and cycle perfectly with CCI subsonic ammo. Federal bulk pack does ok, but accuracy is not that great, and I do get fliers quite regularly. But, for cheap plinking at the range, it's hard to beat. The CCI is a bit more expensive per round, but it shoots REALLY well in all of mine.

Are the Ruger hammer forged spiral barrels any good?
Or the older 77/22 VBZ 24 inch varmint barrels??