• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Semi-Custom build advice

NovaHunter

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2011
Virginia
Afternoon all,

I have been reading the boards here off and on over the years, but have never contributed. I've been researching doing a full custom build, or possibly doing a semi-custom build. But with my current budget I think I am leaning towards a semi-custom build. My budget is about $3000 total, I'm thinking $2000 on the rifle, and $1000 on the glass (leaning towards a Leupold scope).

I've been looking at Shilen's barreled actions, and they start at $1500 plus another $200 for the Shilen trigger. Would taking a Shilen barreled action, and dropping it a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock produce a good rifle for around $2000? Would a H-S or McMillan stock produce better results? And, should I skim bed the action even though they all have bedding blocks?

I believe Shilen has a good reputation, and I would like to get a rifle that shoots consistently .5 MOA, and just from reading different forums and articles I think this idea will work. But, I haven't found anyone who has actually just dropped a Shilen barreled action into a stock.

If anyone has any thoughts on this combo for a semi-custom build, I would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks.

Re: Semi-Custom build advice

should be great, but I'd probably go w/ a Manners stock... btw the McMillan does NOT have a beddeing block... the Manners will have an Aluminum skeleton and pilars, and yes, skim bed them all

Sir I'm no expert on the subject but I went the route of trying to turn an old hunting rifle into a tactical rifle and what I ultimately wound up with is a money pit that probably noone would want. Looking back on it, I wish I had paid more attention to the rifles that are for sale on the Hide. Better quality by top builders. Not saying anything bad about Shilen but I wish I had just bought a rig that was already set up right and spent more time getting the fundamentals down. I wasted alot of time and money. Buy once cry once.

Ashland,

Good advice, and I have thought that I don't want to ruin the rifle. But, even doing a simple build like this, where the action is built already trued, and the trigger is installed and the barrel is headspaced properly, most of the labor intensive part of a custom build is done. I see this rifle as getting my feet wet, and giving me experience to build upon for future precision rifle builds that I would like to do.

I would personally do one of a few things with your budget:

1 - Save a little more and get a full custom just the way you want it.

2 - Spend more on a really nice scope ($2,000?) that will serve you indefinitely, and buy a SPS Tac / AAC-SD or the like and drop it in a B&C. It may not shoot the .5 MOA you're after (or it may), but you probably wouldn't be too far off if you found a load it likes.

3 - Take advantage of the awesome deals in the EE and buy a lightly used full custom out of there. Some crazy deals if you keep you're eyes on it...

Nothing wrong with your idea I suppose, I would just do one of the 3 above before that.

I would use the $3,000 to buy a rifle and save for glass/ammo after that. If you're gonna spend that money might as wll get what you want the first time.

Or

Keep a look out in the FS section cause you can find really good deals on a usd rig.

Buy a remington 700 5r milspec, will shoot better then custom rifles for $1k. I loooove mine
smile.gif

NovaHunter, what are you after? If poking small holes in paper is what you want to do, a full blown custom job isn't necessary. Besides, there are at least three barrels that I'd go for before I got the Shilen.

I know this has been beaten to death, but there really isn't anything magical about getting a rifle that will shoot sub MOA out of the box these days. Nicer (more expensive) rifles do come with some niceties, like a better finish (less prone to rust) and better stocks; but I started out with a Remington SPS Tactical in .308 and dumped most of my money into the scope setup (Nightforce).

These are some groups that I shot with my bone stock SPS Tactical when I was just getting into bolt guns....

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0001-3.jpg

Like I said, tight shooting isn't anything magical. It's a matter of practice. Since I shot these groups, I've gone to a Krieger barrel. The biggest advantage I've gained is that I can now shoot all day long without any copper fouling. Whether it shoots any better is still up in the air.